Narrower boot options?

OP
J
Wind gypsy it seems we have similar feet. I just got the Briksdals and Dakotas in. The dakotas were similar in fit to other crispis but these Briksdals are - SO FAR - pretty damn close. No special lacing required for what seems to be a decent fit so far.

The only thing that kills me about them is that they’re insulated. Why offer a style that’s insulated only is beyond me.

That and this STUPID lacing system is killing me.

Otherwise, good

Evergreen

WKR
Insulation is why I don't have too many miles on my Briksdahl's. It is light insulation though so probably good from Oct - April for me.

Wind gypsy it seems we have similar feet. I just got the Briksdals and Dakotas in. The dakotas were similar in fit to other crispis but these Briksdals are - SO FAR - pretty damn close. No special lacing required for what seems to be a decent fit so far.

The only thing that kills me about them is that they’re insulated. Why offer a style that’s insulated only is beyond me.

That and this STUPID lacing system is killing me.

Otherwise, good

Lacing on briksdal isn't ideal but it seemed to work fine. The SF's I have didn't seem notably warmer than zamberlan 980s or the sportivas i linked earlier. I agree that I'd rather they weren't insulated but I have found sometimes with stiff boots, insulation can smooth out some pressure points.

On those 960s, the toe box can be a little tight on the baby toe. A half size up might be just what the dr ordered for you. Something to consider at least.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
My White's Outdoorsman are 11.5 B, and fit me perfectly. They'll make em however your foot is traced out. You can also send it your boots to be refurbished or resoled.

OP
J
Lacing on briksdal isn't ideal but it seemed to work fine. The SF's I have didn't seem notably warmer than zamberlan 980s or the sportivas i linked earlier. I agree that I'd rather they weren't insulated but I have found sometimes with stiff boots, insulation can smooth out some pressure points.

On those 960s, the toe box can be a little tight on the baby toe. A half size up might be just what the dr ordered for you. Something to consider at least.

I have a question.

I brought a pair of boots with me today on a hike and put two miles on them. They felt okay - I brought my trail runners just in case. It was pretty muddy and nasty up where we ended up so I traded out shoes to keep the boots in 100% shape(I have 3 miles on those stupid looking shoe covers and they’re still going strong, I’d highly recommend them to people trying out boots!)...

Anyway, on the way down I noticed that my heels have some movement in my trail runners too, but it’s never lead to blisters. Then I got to thinking that maybe I’m taking “heel lock” way too literally... I’m literally trying to have zero(not even slight) movement in my heels... Is some movement acceptable? By movement I’m talking maybe 1/4” tops. I can feel it moving but it isn’t like my foot is anywhere near popping out of my shoe.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that a boot will feel great at the trailhead but then about a mile in it starts to get sloppy. Am I wrong thinking the boot itself is actually stretching a bit? Maybe I need a 10 in these...

I have a question.

I brought a pair of boots with me today on a hike and put two miles on them. They felt okay - I brought my trail runners just in case. It was pretty muddy and nasty up where we ended up so I traded out shoes to keep the boots in 100% shape(I have 3 miles on those stupid looking shoe covers and they’re still going strong, I’d highly recommend them to people trying out boots!)...

Anyway, on the way down I noticed that my heels have some movement in my trail runners too, but it’s never lead to blisters. Then I got to thinking that maybe I’m taking “heel lock” way too literally... I’m literally trying to have zero(not even slight) movement in my heels... Is some movement acceptable? By movement I’m talking maybe 1/4” tops. I can feel it moving but it isn’t like my foot is anywhere near popping out of my shoe.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that a boot will feel great at the trailhead but then about a mile in it starts to get sloppy. Am I wrong thinking the boot itself is actually stretching a bit? Maybe I need a 10 in these...

My take is that bad heel blisters come from a combination of your heel moving or trying to move and a lot of pressure from the boot against your heel while it’s moving or trying to move.. Heels staying in place should be a function of holistic boot fit and not rely heavily on the “heel cup” of your boot holding your heel down in place. If your heel is lifting a bit but not rubbing on anything significantly it will take a lot to get blisters in my experience. It makes sense if you think about how blisters are formed, there needs to be some grip and pressure on that skin to make a blister.

All leather boots I’ve had stretch and contract. Some more than others. The zamberlans do for sure, I just tighten em up after a little while or before I do anything heavy downhill. If they are wet and you dry them out they will likely feel significantly tighter than when you took them off wet.

OP
J
My take is that bad heel blisters come from a combination of your heel moving or trying to move and a lot of pressure from the boot against your heel while it’s moving or trying to move.. Heels staying in place should be a function of holistic boot fit and not rely heavily on the “heel cup” of your boot holding your heel down in place. If your heel is lifting a bit but not rubbing on anything significantly it will take a lot to get blisters in my experience. It makes sense if you think about how blisters are formed, there needs to be some grip and pressure on that skin to make a blister.

All leather boots I’ve had stretch and contract. Some more than others. The zamberlans do for sure, I just tighten em up after a little while or before I do anything heavy downhill. If they are wet and you dry them out they will likely feel significantly tighter than when you took them off wet.

Pretty sure I need a 10 in the zambs. The 10.5 I can’t get to stop slipping at all(the 9.5 wouldn’t slip)

The Briksdal is the one that felt great at the start of the day but after about a mile they started to get a little sloppy. I’m thinking a 10 in those too

OP
J
I have another question - and this one may seem dumb but bear with me...

Walking in boots vs walking in shoes - do you guys alter your gait or stride in any way between the two? Like I said, maybe a stupid question. I was reading a bunch about boots and noticed that the general consensus is that boots slow you down a bit vs. trail runners. Now obviously I know boots are heavier and that’s one way they slow you down, sure. I then started thinking that maybe it also alters the way you walk a bit too?

Coughlin

Lil-Rokslider
I have size 10 feet as well and I bought a pair of scarpa charmoz boots. They are by far the most supportive pair I own and I wish they worked for my feet. Problem is every time I wear them, I end up jacking up my pinky toes. I have held on to them in hopes of breaking them in, but no dice at least as of yet. Anyways PM me if you want to try and get into a nice pair of boots for less so you’re not dumping money on a hope. If not, I’ll probably just keep trying to make em work for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coughlin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to your conversation here, I did a little more research on my issue and found that my problem stems from “adductovaris” or curly 5th toe. No matter how hard I try, I don’t think I’ll be breaking that issue in, so I’m going to end up selling the boots :( if your interested, shoot me a note. Eu. Size 43

NstihL

FNG
I don't alter my stride whether in boots or shoes, and I typically have very little movement in my boots. As others have mentioned, Salomon and Asolo are good options for narrow feet. Based on the boots that I've tried, I've found Salomon boots to be more flexible and slightly more comfortable. I've found Asolo boots to be more supportive and truly waterproof.

I have another question - and this one may seem dumb but bear with me...

Walking in boots vs walking in shoes - do you guys alter your gait or stride in any way between the two? Like I said, maybe a stupid question. I was reading a bunch about boots and noticed that the general consensus is that boots slow you down a bit vs. trail runners. Now obviously I know boots are heavier and that’s one way they slow you down, sure. I then started thinking that maybe it also alters the way you walk a bit too?

Depends how stiff the boot is. Definitely shorten stride up and don't roll from heel to toe in stiff boots like I tend to in shoes or flexible boots.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Kenetrek mountain extreme comes in narrow version. The lowa el Camino is a great narrow boot as well. The forefoot is not very stiff but does have excellent ankle support
The heel cup isn't narrow on the Camino though, that's why my pair is up for sale. Zamberlan boots built on the ZBPK last are my go to narrow boots, and I've tried a LOT of boots.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rjschill

FNG
I might be late chiming in here, but I have the same problem. I wear a size 15 boot and my feet are super narrow and low volume. Based on other recommendations, I ordered a pair of La Sportive Trango TRK GTX. So far I've got about 30 miles on them and they've been pretty great. Most of this has been on paved or well established trails without much incline, but the overall fit is great. It's a snug fit and so far the comfort has been great.

Another narrow, low volume foot guy. I love La Sportiva Trangos... there are several variations and they’ve all been good for me (cube, TRK, Tower). With an insole they are fantastic.

Also, Lathrop & Sons have done really well for me too.

Tower

FNG
Just ordered a pair of Kenetrek’s Mountain Extreme today in 13 Narrow. We’ll see how they fit.
Jury is out for me on the Crispi Guide GTX. Want to compare them to the ME’s. Around the house they are super comfortable but might be a hair too wide.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Another narrow, low volume foot guy. I love La Sportiva Trangos... there are several variations and they’ve all been good for me (cube, TRK, Tower). With an insole they are fantastic.

Also, Lathrop & Sons have done really well for me too.

I have narrow feet as well and have been looking at the Trangos. How would you compare the three, and which would you recommend for a sheep hunt?

I have narrow feet as well and have been looking at the Trangos. How would you compare the three, and which would you recommend for a sheep hunt?

I’ve got a bunch of time in the Cube, Tower, and the older EVO (similar look to the towers). The TRKs I tried on in the store. They fit well and were the most flexible of the three. Definitely more of a hiker than a steep mountain boot. I really liked the Cubes, a lot... but I pulled out one of the plastic eyelets while on a hunt. Since then I got the Towers... they are a more robust boot I think. Both are equally as stiff I think and would be a good choice for steep and rocky hunts. Plus they are both semi auto crampon compatible if that is a factor for you.

I’ve done a ton of summer mountaineering in the old Evo’s. I don’t think there’s another boot that compares that fits me properly. Definitely a worth while purchase.

mparry

FNG
I have very narrow feet and the salewa mountain trainers have been awesome for me.