Narrowing down a pack

np307

Lil-Rokslider
I know I'm not treading new ground here, but I'm just looking for some honest input. Some information about my hunting needs: my primary hunting is public land whitetails here in NC. I've made do for the last couple years with a molle frame and straps/belt with an assault pack strapped to it. It's worked for a handful of pack outs, the longest being just shy of 2 miles, but it definitely isn't the most comfortable. I did go with a couple buddies to Wyoming this fall for an antelope hunt, but we camped on BLM, nothing bivy style. In the future, I'm looking at some elk hunts and I'd like to also be able to do some overnight hunts.

I'm currently looking at two pack options. The MR Metcalf and the KUIU pro 3600. I don't really have a way to try either one out. It really looks like it's just a toss up for either one, but I'd like to hear if there are any differences that I need to know about. I'm 6'1" and 215 (though working on dropping some weight) if that is something that would matter between those options.

If there's another option, feel free to let me know also. Both of these are in my price range though, compared to Exo or Kifaru from what I've priced.

Thanks in advance.

I have happily worn a metcalf for many miles. Dana Gleason knows how to design a pack suspension for sure. There are lighter options out there, and production has moved overseas, but mystery Ranch continues to build a high quality pack that is arguably the most comfortable on the market for many. As a bonus, they can be purchased from many online retailers with very friendly return policy’s.

If I was getting an MR pack I would want the new frame....my guide lite is good but I think I like the SG frames a little more....I really need more use of all 3 frames to know for sure and I am working on that.

If I was getting an MR pack I would want the new frame....my guide lite is good but I think I like the SG frames a little more....I really need more use of all 3 frames to know for sure and I am working on that.

Which frame is the old frame? I've seen NICE floating around, I assume that's it? Is there a frame newer than the guide lite?

MR, the old model kuiu pack that they run super sales on are not great. I got one for my dad and everything is just a smidge off, like they almost got it but not quite, then you add all those little things up and it gets irritating. Can not speak to their new pick system.

The newest frame is called the Guide Lite MT frame. It comes with certain packs. A good feature to the MR frames is that any pack that fits on an Alice Pack frame will work on them easily, any alice pack body, FILBE body and some other pack bodies fit on my Guide Lite frame. Gives a fella some options....

I am in the clt area if you want to fondle a SG. It's no fun being the Carolinas and trying to find a pack that's fits...been there. Shoot me a PM if your interested. Good Luck!

The newest frame is called the Guide Lite MT frame. It comes with certain packs. A good feature to the MR frames is that any pack that fits on an Alice Pack frame will work on them easily, any alice pack body, FILBE body and some other pack bodies fit on my Guide Lite frame. Gives a fella some options....

This new frame is currently on the Sawtooth and the Beartooth. I've used both and hunted almost exclusively with the Beartooth this year for both day hunts (cinched it down so the bottom storage area was pretty much nill) and for week long hunts in WY and CO. I've owned the MR since the NICE frame and used that, the updated one with the extended load hauling stays, the Guide Lite frame and now the new Guide Lite MT. Used them in AK on sheep, CO on 10 day high country hunts, ID/MT elk hunts and all over UT. For reference I've owned 3 different Kuiu packs (sold them) and also currently run the Stone Glacier Evo 40/56 with the Krux Evo frame which I really like, especially when it's light is right time.

I'm telling you, hold tight for the Guide Lite MT which will be coming out in 2020 on all the MR haul packs. It's a combination of the NICE (5 piece belt which is SO comfortable) and the frame improvements of the Guide Lite with the easier access bag/frame separation for quick hauling set up.

My suggestion on a MR pack for what you will do is to check out the Pintler or even the Sawtooth. Better organization and access to your gear than the Metcalf. Sure for a multi day trip the Pintler may not be as ideal, but sounds like this will be the exception which if so, you could use a drop bag on the meat hauling section, (expand the bag from the frame) and then when you get to camp drop the haul bag and start hunting for those overnight hunts where you're carrying the kitchen sink. This is where the Sawtooth will be superior to the Pintler.

For day hunts or running from a base camp, as well as what you do in NC, the Pintler will shine.

Hope that helps.

This new frame is currently on the Sawtooth and the Beartooth. I've used both and hunted almost exclusively with the Beartooth this year for both day hunts (cinched it down so the bottom storage area was pretty much nill) and for week long hunts in WY and CO. I've owned the MR since the NICE frame and used that, the updated one with the extended load hauling stays, the Guide Lite frame and now the new Guide Lite MT. Used them in AK on sheep, CO on 10 day high country hunts, ID/MT elk hunts and all over UT. For reference I've owned 3 different Kuiu packs (sold them) and also currently run the Stone Glacier Evo 40/56 with the Krux Evo frame which I really like, especially when it's light is right time.

I'm telling you, hold tight for the Guide Lite MT which will be coming out in 2020 on all the MR haul packs. It's a combination of the NICE (5 piece belt which is SO comfortable) and the frame improvements of the Guide Lite with the easier access bag/frame separation for quick hauling set up.

My suggestion on a MR pack for what you will do is to check out the Pintler or even the Sawtooth. Better organization and access to your gear than the Metcalf. Sure for a multi day trip the Pintler may not be as ideal, but sounds like this will be the exception which if so, you could use a drop bag on the meat hauling section, (expand the bag from the frame) and then when you get to camp drop the haul bag and start hunting for those overnight hunts where you're carrying the kitchen sink. This is where the Sawtooth will be superior to the Pintler.

For day hunts or running from a base camp, as well as what you do in NC, the Pintler will shine.

Hope that helps.
That actually helps a lot. Knowing that there are frame differences will cause me to reevaluate some options. I had looked at the sawtooth previously and may return to it now. Thanks!

Back