Narrowing down pad

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
I think I’ve narrowed my pad selection to Nemo tensor insulated, exped downmat (xp7 or 9), exped synmet winter.

I am a side sleeper and am 6’1” and 255 lbs. I will be hunting in Colorado for 3rd rifle.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
Tensor is comfortable but not warm enough for a winter pad. The Expeds are good choices and pretty comfy but I disliked the longitudinal baffles(I had a Synmat HL, Downmat UL7 and Downmat Winter and sold two and gave one to my hunting partner). Xtherm Max is one I would look at too.

My 3 season pad is a Tensor Insulated MW and my winter pad is a Klymit Insulated Luxe SL. I have not used the Klymit in cold temps yet but will in a few weeks for first rifle. It can be had for a great deal through Costco right now.

Not sure what your intended use is. However, I just had a new Nemo tensor insulated out in the elk woods. On second night it got a hole. It was in a lite weight bivy and on tyvek. My Klymit lasted 2 seasons with no trouble.
The 20d vs 30d must be a big difference.

Just my experience.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Thought about giving the xtherm long/wide a shot? The r value is pretty good for those lower temps and the new wing valve they introduced is pretty nice.

OP
T

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Thought about giving the xtherm long/wide a shot? The r value is pretty good for those lower temps and the new wing valve they introduced is pretty nice.

I have, but the noise I’ve heard about is very concerning to me.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved

Ah, right. It is a bit loud, but once you get used to it it’s not so bad. I just slam a hot coco with melatonin (mnt ops slumber) and it’s lights out for me haha

Its not that bad just laying with minimal movement, like when you are actually trying to fall asleep. If you are constantly moving around you will notice the crinkle. Its never been an issue for me. I have not once thought it kept me from falling asleep.

OP
T

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Tensor is comfortable but not warm enough for a winter pad. The Expeds are good choices and pretty comfy but I disliked the longitudinal baffles(I had a Synmat HL, Downmat UL7 and Downmat Winter and sold two and gave one to my hunting partner). Xtherm Max is one I would look at too.

My 3 season pad is a Tensor Insulated MW and my winter pad is a Klymit Insulated Luxe SL. I have not used the Klymit in cold temps yet but will in a few weeks for first rifle. It can be had for a great deal through Costco right now.

I ended up going with the klymit insulated v luxe SL.

dmess

FNG
Just got back from an elk hunt on hood until we got evacuated for a fire. I am using an Exped downmat 9 because I’m a side sleeper with hip issues. Some people don’t like the longitudinal chambers but I sleep with the point of my hip in the crease of the baffle. That seems to work for me. I never get a full nights sleep but that pad comes the closest for me and I’ve tried a stack of them.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff. Did they still have the free pillow going too? I've used that Luxe pillow for a few years now and it's worth carrying.

I'm a side sleeper and have owned several exped mats. Not the lightest or most packable, but prefer them for the combo of comfort and r-value.

If you happen to change your mind take a look at sea to summit etherlight. i am 6’3” #250 but sleep on my side so I get away with the regular length in wide. 23oz and 4 inches thick. It has quickly replaced all my other pads.

Rodéo

WKR
Good stuff. Did they still have the free pillow going too? I've used that Luxe pillow for a few years now and it's worth carrying.
Just got my order in from costco. It did come with the free pillow. It's fantastic.

I have the Xtherm long/wide......I hate it. I bought it because of all the good reviews on here and the high R-value. I heard people complain about the noise and I just figured it was just BS and people being tit bags. Well.....it’s stupid loud. The noise of it will wake me up when I roll over or move. And honestly it wasn’t even comfortable at all. I slept like total shit. I only slept on it 3 nights and I’ll be looking to sell it and try something else. I’m 5’11 and 225 and a side sleeper.