Natural Fuel Stoves

muleman

WKR
For some reason I have a primal desire to ditch the fuel canister and use one of the natural fuel stoves this year. Has anyone done it?

I've argued before that I need the fastest stove possible to get my water heated so I can eat and get to bed or whatever else I need to do. As I have been preparing this year, slowing down to build a fire and let the water heat sounds fun, romantic, nostalgic, etc... My only need for a cooking stove is to heat water to re-hydrate dinner and sometimes breakfast. I figure I'd be about 15oz for a stove and pot. Some of the titanium stoves I've looked at would put me under 10oz for stove and pot.

What got me think about this was the new Kifaru oval stove. For a few years now I have been ready to pull the trigger numerous times on various stoves. Each time I stop before submitting the order. Now I've about convinced myself that I will buy an oval and use it as my water heat source if I have it on the trip with me; eliminating the need for a canister stove. Then I thought well why don't I dump the canister during scouting season too and just use a small natural fuel stove then too.

I have been considering picking up the 180 Stove to try. http://www.180tack.com/180stove.htm
All of my hunts this year are in areas of ample fuel so I will not count that as a drawback.

Drawbacks in order of importance to me:
  1. Can't cook in shelter in inclement weather.
  2. Gathering fuel.
  3. Fire bans.
  4. Slower than canister based stoves.

ScottP

WKR
Been thinking about it as well, and have made a prototype from soup cans and tested in my driveway. Lots of designs on various backpacking and DIY gear forums. If I had coin to spend I'd go with this:

http://fourdog.com/bushcooker-lt-i-bush-camp-stove/

With a ti pot that it nests inside you'd have about the lightest cooking setup possible. You can find some boil tests for this type of stove on youtube.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Been thinking about it as well, and have made a prototype from soup cans and tested in my driveway. Lots of designs on various backpacking and DIY gear forums. If I had coin to spend I'd go with this:

http://fourdog.com/bushcooker-lt-i-bush-camp-stove/

With a ti pot that it nests inside you'd have about the lightest cooking setup possible. You can find some boil tests for this type of stove on youtube.

I've followed Four Dogs for awhile and like their stuff. The thing I like about the 180's is the open firebox. Without using one of the closed round stoves it just seems cumbersome to build and tend the fire.

I've also been considering the Vargus hexagon stove. Yet wonder about the ease of tending the fire. http://www.vargooutdoors.com/hexagon-backpacking-wood-stove.html#.Ucj2J8vnaBY

Mabey I'm wrong but the closed systems just don't look user friendly.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
As I think about this I think of diminishing returns. For a small weight savings I'm going to have to find fuel ( dry at that ) , fumble around and arrange the fuel , get it lit in who knows what weather , keep it fed and lit long enough to boil , all this while tired , hungry , and likely cold vs turn on the gas , hit the lighter , turn around and dig out my food and spoon , open the package and about then my water is boiling. Turn off gas and dump water in package and stir a bit . Put away relatively clean stove while food rehydrates well and eat . Way too convenient compared to the natural fuel stove.

OR Archer

WKR
I would consider this type of stove more for a bug out bag than for my hunting pack. Combine that stove with a pot and utensils the weight savings isn't really worth it in my opinion.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
As I think about this I think of diminishing returns. For a small weight savings I'm going to have to find fuel ( dry at that ) , fumble around and arrange the fuel , get it lit in who knows what weather , keep it fed and lit long enough to boil , all this while tired , hungry , and likely cold vs turn on the gas , hit the lighter , turn around and dig out my food and spoon , open the package and about then my water is boiling. Turn off gas and dump water in package and stir a bit . Put away relatively clean stove while food rehydrates well and eat . Way too convenient compared to the natural fuel stove.

I've been there done that. Always feeling the need to rush, rush, rush. My ultimate goal is not weight savings. For whatever reason this year I've felt that I need to slow down and enjoy the whole experience I've been cheating myself out of. I often reflect on my grandfather's stories. He is the greatest woodsman and hunter that I've known. If he was alive today, I'm sure he would be perplexed with my need for technology and gadgets. I can here him saying poppycock, just get out in the field and leave your crap at home.

Watching a crackling fire is mesmerizing and therapeutic to my soul. While the jet roar of my canister stove is intrusive and abusive. We'll have to see how I feel after having to start a fire to cook my food when sleet is pelting me and my body is seeking a warm meal.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
For those that use a stove to heat your shelter. Do you leave your cooking stove at home and just use the shelter stove to cook on?

For those that use a stove to heat your shelter. Do you leave your cooking stove at home and just use the shelter stove to cook on?

Yes, because my Kifaru stove will heat water for cooking fast enough, and the nights are long during hunting season. What else am I going to do while sitting in the tipi? Might as well enjoy the stove and do some cooking. I'm usually up really early during a hunt too, so having enough time to make a hot breakfast is not a problem. We each carry a titanium pot for the purpose of cooking on the K stove.

During the summer when I'm backpacking, scouting, and fishing, I will carry a canister stove.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Why don't you just cook over a campfire if that's what you're after?

Not looking to cook over a campfire. Looking to use a natural fuel source stove to eliminate some dependence on consumables. Also looking to slow down a little to enjoy the experience a little more.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
I built and tested a nimble will nomad little dandy stove. It's in the link you posted above under the wood burning section. It was cheap and easy to make and I got 16 oz of water to boil in a little over 5 mins. The thing weighs around 7 oz and breaks down flat.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I built and tested a nimble will nomad little dandy stove. It's in the link you posted above under the wood burning section. It was cheap and easy to make and I got 16 oz of water to boil in a little over 5 mins. The thing weighs around 7 oz and breaks down flat.

I looked at that stove as a possible contender. What metal did you use? How did you cut the slots and tabs?

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
I used galvanized sheet. I can't remember the size but it was the thinnest they had at home depot. I used a tin snips to cut most of it out and used a dremmel tool to get the slots and vents, and to round out the corners etc. I'm not a real handy type guy but it was pretty easy to do.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I used galvanized sheet. I can't remember the size but it was the thinnest they had at home depot. I used a tin snips to cut most of it out and used a dremmel tool to get the slots and vents, and to round out the corners etc. I'm not a real handy type guy but it was pretty easy to do.

Thanks, I have some light galvanized and some thicker gauge plain steel on hand. I didn't want to burn in the galvanized and get Galvie Flu and I didn't want to use the plain steel because of weight and corrosion. Guess I could do some prototypes from the heavier gauge steel.

colonel00

WKR
Be careful when using galvanized metal and fire. Not trying to open up a huge debate but I feel it should be mentioned.

I also like the main idea of this thread as far as slowing down a little and enjoying the moment. However, that only works if the moment is enjoyable. Being wet and cold and trying to start a fire in a downpour doesn't sound like fun. That said, I think I would look more into a dual usage option. Perhaps work your cook system so you can use natural fuel when possible but still have the canister stove as backup. You would be packing in less fuel but still have it when you need it.

Or, you could always carry along a lightweight alcohol stove and a few ounces of fuel for in for those situations where a natural fuel fire was not feasible.