ND cow elk tag E3.....any insight/info?

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Let me start off by saying I'm not an elk hunter. I drew a once in a lifetime ND elk tag, it's a cow tag, for unit E3 (E3 and E4... E4 can be hunted after the first weekend). I guess my question is: Is there anyone on this forum who has drawn/ hunted this unit? I've been out "scouting" the unit once this summer.... it's about 275 miles from me, and am probably going to drive out again next weekend and try to checkout the northwest part of the unit.

What should I focus on? Like I said, I jnow nothing about elk hunting. Access might be an issue, although I know depredation is a big issue with the cattle ranchers out there. There is a lot of PLOTS and public land in the unit, so that's a plus. I have a couple of contact names that might allow access, and they have had elk on their land in the past.

Can anyone offer any tips or insight about this hunt? I know it's a longshot....ND ain't exactly a hotbed of elk hunting, but I'll take any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

My first call would be to the ND fish and game department. I try to find warden(s) for that zone. I wouldn’t know what to do with elk in the dakotas. I’ve got to think it’d be a lot different than further West. Fun experience! Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Milhouse58421

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
My first call would be to the ND fish and game department. I try to find warden(s) for that zone. I wouldn’t know what to do with elk in the dakotas. I’ve got to think it’d be a lot different than further West. Fun experience! Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a friend that just left a job at ND game and fish.... he told me about a week ago, that there is usually a list of ranchers looking for people to get rid of some elk.... apparently they eat a lot of cattle forage. Unfortunately, with Covid restrictions, it's problematic at best getting to talk to anyone at G & F. I'm going to give that a shot this week, but I don't know what I'm going to run into.