NE Wyoming Mule Deer expectations

roymunson

WKR
Have a hunt planned this fall with some of my flatlander buddies in and around Carlile. Never been there before. All I'm looking for is a good representation of a mule deer. Doesn't have to be a Booner. Anyone with any insights on what to expect? We're going in November as a rut hunt.

Going to be pretty dry but if you have private access there should be a god representative of the species to be had.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
Going to be a guided hunt. Guy has been established for years and is a solid dude from everything I've researched. But looking at trophy pics, didn't look like it's a huge buck area.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
NE Wy isn’t known for trophy mule deer, it’s typically a pretty dry climate and for the most part the genetics just aren’t there. Although with the amount of private land the age class for a mature buck 5+ years old can happen with the right circumstances.

If you’re after a 170”+ flat out ask the guy how many of these do they kill every year and to send photos. If he runs a solid operation, he’ll give you an honest answer with honest expectations.

4rcgoat

WKR
NE Wyoming....private land....

Attachments

• part0_1(1).jpg
    part0_1(1).jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 110
  • nqevdaQe-78267598.jpeg
    nqevdaQe-78267598.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 110

EdP

WKR
You can get an idea of what to expect from info on the Wy G&F site. Go to the the Hunt Planner and select your species and hunt area. Then click on View Detailed Info, then Hunt Area Info, then Area Deer Age Report. It will tell you how many and what % of the deer taken in a recent year were Class 1, 2, or 3. Click on "What goes into an age class" to see photos of typical class 1, 2, and 3 deer. I hunted area 70 last year and found the info on target.

More whitetail then mulie around carlisle.Carlisle.. but if you are guided private you should be good to go.

Have a hunt planned this fall with some of my flatlander buddies in and around Carlile. Never been there before. All I'm looking for is a good representation of a mule deer. Doesn't have to be a Booner. Anyone with any insights on what to expect? We're going in November as a rut hunt.
How did your hunt go?

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
Top notch outfit!
Saw a ton of deer, saw some antelope, and I filled both an antelope and mule deer tag in mid November. Hard to argue with that.

The antelope was the only one in a group of 30+ with horns, and the mule deer was not a giant, but the people, terrain, and accommodations were top notch. No complaints there.

My buddy shot the good mule deer about a day before I did, which is fine. So we both got it done.MULE DEER `1.jpgPRONGHORN 1.jpg

Reactions: FLS