Necessary optics for Mule Deer hunt NE Wyoming?

KC1

FNG
Have a mule deer hunt in November NE Wyoming. I've never done any western hunting, only Michigan whitetail. What optics do you suggest that don't break the bank? I have Vortex Diamondback 10x42 now. Someone suggested to accompany those with 15x56 after spotting something. Do you only do that, or get a spotting scope as well? Or is it one or the other?

Kurts86

WKR
You should get a tripod to mount your current binoculars.

If you spend any money on optics upgrades you should get better 10x42’s before getting 15x’s or a spotting scope.

OP
KC1

KC1

FNG
You should get a tripod to mount your current binoculars.

If you spend any money on optics upgrades you should get better 10x42’s before getting 15x’s or a spotting scope.
What do you suggest for both?

Get a tripod for your current binos...its NE WY not like your gonna see a bunch of trophy bucks and need a spotter to decide.

A tripod does help a lot with how windy it is here. And he isn't really that far off. I haven't seen the monster bucks especially in all my time on public land, but there are a few I've seen on private.

This last winter was hard on them, but the big bucks that did survive are eating well as we are still pretty green.
IMG_20211017_151051~3.jpg

OP
KC1

KC1

FNG
Appreciate the info and I understand it's not the premier location. Picked the zone because I have a buddy that's hunted it previously. Beneficial to have some intel on a first western DIY hunt. I have also been reading about and get emails from Wyoming F&G. The winter kill sucks. Still excited for the adventure. Any suggestions on a good light tripod?

OP
KC1

KC1

FNG
I am assuming regions A,B, or C...there are a big bucks in those regions, mostly on private, and when you see one they will stand out that's all I was saying. It's not an optic heavy hunt.
Appreciate the info. I have some spots noted near private, maybe we'll get one to wander off to public.

Appreciate the info and I understand it's not the premier location. Picked the zone because I have a buddy that's hunted it previously. Beneficial to have some intel on a first western DIY hunt. I have also been reading about and get emails from Wyoming F&G. The winter kill sucks. Still excited for the adventure. Any suggestions on a good light tripod?
I started with a vortex summit and now use an outdoorsman...pick something that's in your budget and go have fun.

The winter kill was not nearly as bad in the NE corner as it was in the SW and western side of the state. Even down by Douglas and Casper had some nasty snowstorms, but we didn't seem to get the accumulation they did.

I also have never felt the need for a spotter as I hunted with 12x50 Vortex razors the last couple years. I'm switching to Fury ABs for the speed of not having to have a separate rangefinder. If you don't know your gun to 400yds and are quick(or sneaky) those mule deer will be bouncing away.

If this is a one time deal, just rent better optics. You'll have a much better idea of what you personally need after your mule deer hunt.

No matter what, I'd still buy a budget friendly tripod, head and adapter for your Diamondbacks. Go learn to glass. Use local parks, trails, etc. Practice the process and attempt to identify all life: lizards, mice, snakes, birds, moles, etc.

Kurts86

WKR
What do you suggest for both?
Spend as much as possible on good 10x42 binocular or rent some Swarovski EL’s for a week. Honestly even if this is a one time thing I think you will enjoy having alpha glass on eastern hunts for the rest of your life.

I think you can be very happy with a $200 lighter carbon tripod like a Black Ovis Treeline, Benro Slim, Leofoto LS-224/284, etc for glassing if tripod shooting isn’t a consideration.

Spend as much as possible on good 10x42 binocular or rent some Swarovski EL’s for a week. Honestly even if this is a one time thing I think you will enjoy having alpha glass on eastern hunts for the rest of your life.

More solid advice.

Have a mule deer hunt in November NE Wyoming. I've never done any western hunting, only Michigan whitetail. What optics do you suggest that don't break the bank? I have Vortex Diamondback 10x42 now. Someone suggested to accompany those with 15x56 after spotting something. Do you only do that, or get a spotting scope as well? Or is it one or the other?
I've killed 3 muleys in the past 4 years in CO. I never needed anything but my Zeiss Conquests on a good tripod. If you're after a trophy, you might want a spotter. If you're just after a decent, legal deer, a good pair of bins with a good tripod mount is all you need. I mentioned a good tripod mount twice for a reason.