Necessary optics for Mule Deer hunt NE Wyoming?

grfox92

WKR
What's your budget? For $500 you can probably get Maven C series 10x binoculars and a decent tripod. Maven C Series will out perform ANY binoculars in its price range until you about double the price.

I have C Series now, and after looking through some alpha glass, I've decided to upgrade other items in my kit before buying new binoculars. They are just that good.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

wweaver

FNG
If your happy with the vortex diamondback get a vortex razor HD spotter, the 16-48x 65mm is fine and you can find the old model under a grand if you look. Get a quality tripod, they get abused pretty good.

Have a mule deer hunt in November NE Wyoming. I've never done any western hunting, only Michigan whitetail. What optics do you suggest that don't break the bank? I have Vortex Diamondback 10x42 now. Someone suggested to accompany those with 15x56 after spotting something. Do you only do that, or get a spotting scope as well? Or is it one or the other?

Depends on how far out you will be glassing.

That to me is the test whether you need spotter.

If you don’t know - buy a spotter you can afford (better to have than not have IF needed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider

Not a bad deal. Better than the diamondbacks.

jmez

WKR
I wouldn't bother with a spotter. NE WY isn't that big. Your current binos will be fine for the hunt.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
Having grown up hunting Wyoming mulies, you won’t find me without a spotting scope even out in the sage brush, so I’d suggest an entry level spotting scope rather than new binoculars (although you will quickly see the value of clear optics).

The reason you’ll see more bucks with the help of a spotting scope is that a bedded down deer will stand up to stretch at mid day and that’s when carefully looking at draws will pay off. You also might see antler tips just sticking up with the body completely hidden. With only binoculars you’re missing half the deer within a mile of you.

I look over an entire area with binoculars then pick apart draws and any small ridges or bumps in elevation - some deer want to hide in draws and some like to be up a little bit to see, but still be behind vegetation.

I buy the young hunters in our family a used Windriver off eBay when come up for under $100. Not perfect - about like a new $300 scope, but much better than nothing. Then I’ll spend another $100 on a used Gitzo tripod off eBay - these are professional photography tripods that are rock solid. They come in a series from 0 to 5, with five being the largest - series 2 for carry, sizes 3-5 for car use. With $200 in gear, in the wind you’ll see as well as a new $3000 scope on top of a flimsy new $100 tripod - that happened in Yellowstone last summer.

Get a big ball or fluid head - or make a simple swivel out of heavy aluminum and a couple of bolts - we’re not curing cancer.

I used to say don’t waste money on binocular tripod mounts and just rest the binoculars on the spotting scope turned sideways, but that’s just the way I hunt - look all around you, not just forward - after a binocular scan, pick apart the same country with the scope. I’m not sure how that’s possible with a binocular mount - mounting and dismounting 50 times a day isn’t realistic, so you’ll avoid picking apart things with the scope.

There’s nothing wrong with a scope you have right now it should be fine. My personal choice because I already have one, is Leupold VX3 4.5 to 14 x 40. I have that on 4 rifles, and they have been very good to me. Great score for about $600