Need a new scope after 20 years...market has changed

SloppyJ

WKR
The base model credo in 3x9 will be perfect for you. I absolutely love mine and shoot it back to back with my NF NX8. It's no slouch and it was literally 1/4 of the cost. I would replace every single one of my scopes except the NF with that credo if I could do it all over again. I found mine for $400 in the classifieds.

Scottf270

WKR
On a longer range situation with time permitting, could a guy remove the elevation cap of the credo and dial the 3-9 if he had the correct info? Are the one inch 3-9 Credos built accurate enough to do limited dialing?

I know certain reticles allow hold over, but I have a .338 I would like to scope with the ability to potentially dial or hold over to max 500 yards on elk. I am thinking about the 2.5-15x42 but the 3-9 saves 6 ozs and about 300.00.

On a longer range situation with time permitting, could a guy remove the elevation cap of the credo and dial the 3-9 if he had the correct info? Are the one inch 3-9 Credos built accurate enough to do limited dialing?

I know certain reticles allow hold over, but I have a .338 I would like to scope with the ability to potentially dial or hold over to max 500 yards on elk. I am thinking about the 2.5-15x42 but the 3-9 saves 6 ozs and about 300.00.

The 2-15 dials much better

Marshfly

WKR
I agree the 2.5-15 is the way to go if you will dial. I have one on my son's rifle and it's great. Reticle is clean and easy to see. Glass is crazy sharp. And of course, it's reliable.

Kurts86

WKR
For what it’s worth a few years ago I made a 250 yard muzzleloader shot with hold overs and a G4i BDC. I’d definitely consider the base model Credo with holdovers for the same application. I don’t think dialing is necessarily required with a muzzleloader even at longish ranges.

Obviously nothing is perfect but rugged reliability has no equal. For my rigs I go with a SWFA 6x MQ for utility killing, 10x for fun. Hint

one major advantage to dialing is it's easier to hold wind. that's a real consideration with a 2mph gun.

I have 3-9 and the 3-15 SWFA SS scopes. I like the 3-9 a tad bit more than the 3-15. one morning there was a heavy fog on the range, and I was the only one who could see the steel plate at 300yds. One of the guys had a Nikon 3-9 223 scope and the other had a 10x Leupold VX III, and neither could see the target when I could.

OP
L
I really appreciate all the replies. I've been digging around deeper in the scope eval threads and have really learned a lot there as well. I have to admit, I appreciate the logic in the following quote in the Credo 3-9x40 Q&A threads as far as comparing to the SWFA 3-9x:

There’s no comparison, the SWFA 3-9x is a much better general purpose field scope.

The SWFA 3-9x-

- has proven to be an extremely reliable and durable scope line even under extreme use.

- has a superior reticle for all ranges

- is FFP that has a visible reticle at all powers and lighting conditions

The Credo 3-9x40mm is a replacement for the “Leupold 3-9x set and forget useer”, not for the SWFA.

And this:
This 3-9x isn’t what the 3-18x Tenmile has been in zero retention from drops, or the 2.5-15x Credo. I would not expect it to be either. However, it is by far the best 1” normal, simple scope I have seen; with the SWFA UL 2.5-10x doing about the same in drops, but being a bit more critical in eyebox/eye relief. Like I have stated for years- Trijicons generally behave as most people thinks scopes do- not bombproof, but generally reliable scopes that tend to hold zero and work correctly.
If it continues to behave as it so far has, I would have little qualms about using it for what it’s made for- 0-300’ish yard shooting. The mil version might be a decent option for the people that only want to hold over out to 400 or 500 yards.

Having said that, between this scope at 17oz and the SWFA 6x or 3-9x at 19oz, the SWFA scopes are much better all around shooting/hunting aiming devices. This is a replacement for the 3-10x Leupold/Swaro/etc scopes, nothing more.

OP
L
With all that said, I plan to put an order in for the SWFA 3-9. We'll see how long it takes...

The Chief

FNG
Admittedly, I've not gone thru all the posts in this thread... but, if it's not yet been mentioned, the Vortex 1-8x Strike Eagle is a prime candidate for what you've described.

Very solid, true 1x setting, nice & clear thru 8x, and the reticle is quite useful. The Vortex warranty is fantastic, as well.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve had a Leupold VX3 on my 50 cal muzzleloader for about 20 years with no problems with it.

WKR
But if its a decent scope. Why do you need a fantastic warranty?
I know what you're getting at here, but it also covers replacement if you leave your gun leaning against your truck and drive over your scope.

It's not anything people should base their purchase on, I agree, but its not nothing. People love insurance.