NEED a New Semi Auto 12 Gauge

OMB

WKR
Wanting a new shotgun. Been shooting the one my dad bought me for 18 years, a Stoeger pump, and it’s just time to move up in the world a little bit I’ve decided. Budget is <$1k, as we are funneling all extra cash to fertility treatments right now, but I’ve been given the “go ahead” for a new shotgun.

Requirements are 12 gauge, semi auto, preferably 3.5” chamber (though not required, I’ve fired exactly one 3.5” shell in my entire life). Other than that I’m pretty open. Been doing some reading and like what I see about the Winchester SX4 and Mossberg 940 Pro. Any recommendations?

I've had a few friends in this same boat, the easy button is Benelli Montefeltro or M2. They just updated the Monte last year I think and you can still find some deals under your budget if you look around for the "older" style (I prefer the lines of the older style personally.)

As others have said, Beretta or Browning would be the other two to look at. A friend had one of the new Browning A-5's with the inertia system on a bird hunt earlier this year and I really liked the way it handled.

M2 fan here. Own a pair of them.

I was gonna do the SBE 3 upgrade but pulled back due to the POI / POA issues. Glad I did. I don’t shoot enough 3.5# shells really to need one. I have a pair of M2s that just gobble everything I feed them. Never get cleaned. only trouble my main one ever gave me is the stock warped and recoil pad fell off. Benelli warranted it after 15 years. I bring both my M2s on upland trips and my spare gets used by someone else whose gun has gone down about every 3rd trip.

splinter

FNG
i have several benellis including a couple of motefetros because i like the feel of wood ,never a problem one as long as you close the bolt. That being said ,a friend of mine guides for geese in Canada and his recommendation was the Winchester.He prefers twenty gauge but ,according to what he sees , they are the most reliable that he has been around.

jmez

WKR
Not an SX4 but have had an SX2 since it came out
Haven't had a single issue. It cycles and shoots every time you pull the trigger. Everything from light #8 target loads up to 3" magnum waterfowl loads.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a CZ1012 a couple months ago, and I'm happy with it. The fit and finish isn't perfect, but it shoots well and is really lightweight. Also well below budget.

SloppyJ

WKR
I was in this spot last year and I was between a SBE, Maxus 2, and an A400. I've always had a preference for browning shotguns and I ended up with the Maxus 2 in bottomlands camo. Super impressed with it and I shoot well with it. My friend has an A400 that I also enjoy. Go handle them all at a local store. You will narrow it down really quick.

The SX4 is a little less refined version of the Maxus 2. I also have a thing for A5s but I don't think that's what you're after.

bnsafe

WKR
I love my sx4, 26 inch barrel, 3inch gun. never had a hickup and fits me perfectly. I would buy another in a second if I needed one

Which is more important? Reliability or felt recoil? The inertia system in the franchi is the same as benelli and will be the most reliable.
I wish I had a dollar for every time my buddies amazing SBEII choked on the sporting clays field.
Intertia is not more reliable.

Focus on what fits you best.
Personally Browning fits my body.
My Silver Hunter has been fantastic.
My son shoots an SX4 and it has been great, albeit with not a lot of rounds through it.
Personally, I have no interest in an inertia gun.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Thanks for the replies everybody. Wife and I took a drive to Scheels last night and handled a bunch. Beretta just didn’t fit my facial structure. If I closed my eyes and shouldered the gun naturally and comfortably I was looking down the side of the rib and not the top.

Didn’t love the feel of the SX4 mechanically. Not sure why, but it just didn’t “do it” for me. So crossed that one off my list.

The browning Maxus 2 wasn’t on the list but felt good. It was really odd though, their used rack was primarily full of newer used Maxus 2’s. Not sure what to make of that?

The Franchi Affinity 3 and Benelli SBE3 were far and away the better fit and feel for my build. Pointed naturally and fit my facial structure when “blindly” mounting the gun with my eyes closed. They just pointed like they were part of my body, and the difference was STARK. Think I’ve found my winners.

You gents have been helpful, thanks a million!

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Fair - I guess I was thinking muddy, wet, cold conditions while hunting🤷🏻‍♂️
I’ve read what he’s saying about the inertia guns as I’ve done my research. What I’m seeing is it’s primarily caused by shooting 2 3/4” target loads in a 3.5” chamber. Not enough “umph” to cycle the inertia system. That doesn’t concern me as I’m not buying a 3.5” gun, I’m after a 3” gun.

Well you went and made your decision it sounds. To me Barretta feels best. If clean I’ve never seen one fail. I have seen inertia guns have issues but usually wore out by that point and when it’s cold. Can’t go wrong with any but natural point of aim is huge!

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Well you went and made your decision it sounds. To me Barretta feels best. If clean I’ve never seen one fail. I have seen inertia guns have issues but usually wore out by that point and when it’s cold. Can’t go wrong with any but natural point of aim is huge!
Natural point of aim was a huge deal, and I didn’t realize it until I handled the benelli and franchi. My Stoeger Pump has never fit me great (12th birthday gift from dad), but I always thought it was because I spent most of my time rifle shooting and not shotgunning. But when I picked up the Benelli and Franchi and they shouldered naturally and instantaneously, I realized just how critical getting a good fit is.

What issues have you seen from inertia guns? I’m interested to learn if I’m overlooking something, but most of what I’m seeing has to do with extremely cold weather. My boss and his boys shoot SBE3’s for everything from pheasant and chukkars to clays to geese and everything in between and haven’t had any issues. But theirs are less than 5 years old at this point.

I am biased towards inertia. I believe it to be a more reliable and simpler operating system. Recoil compresses a spring and cycles the action. It's a simple system. Most often, it probably doesn't matter whether it's gas or inertia driven.

People have issues cycling heavy loads when the spring either wears out or is too weak. Lighter loads don't cycle as well with heavy recoil springs. Wolff makes +25% and -25% springs that solve either problem, though I doubt you would see it much with a new gun.

The Benelli "click" is most often a result of trying to close the action quietly or otherwise not allowing the bolt to fully slam forward.

Macintosh

WKR
Inertia just means the recoil is what is cycling the action. Gas guns can have the same issue. Asking one of these to cycle both a 1oz or even 1 1/8oz 1200fps skeet load, AND a 3 1/2” stupidmagnumgoosewhomper is a lot to ask. One or the other would be a non-issue. This is precisely the reason my rec. would be to avoid a 3 1/2” gun at all costs, because in order to handle the heavier turkey loads without tearing itself apart, you necessarily give up some reliability for the lighter loads you’ll want on a target range.

Also, benelli and some berettas used to come with a shim kit that allowed you to custimize the fit yourself, both for drop and cast. Anyone know if they still do this or if its available? If so then you cant know how it fits you until its adjusted. I am a massively huge fan of this system, fit matters and the shims work, so check if this is possible before you avoid a gun due to fit.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Inertia just means the recoil is what is cycling the action. Gas guns can have the same issue. Asking one of these to cycle both a 1oz or even 1 1/8oz 1200fps skeet load, AND a 3 1/2” stupidmagnumgoosewhomper is a lot to ask. One or the other would be a non-issue. This is precisely the reason my rec. would be to avoid a 3 1/2” gun at all costs, because in order to handle the heavier turkey loads without tearing itself apart, you necessarily give up some reliability for the lighter loads you’ll want on a target range.

Also, benelli and some berettas used to come with a shim kit that allowed you to custimize the fit yourself, both for drop and cast. Anyone know if they still do this or if its available? If so then you cant know how it fits you until its adjusted. I am a massively huge fan of this system, fit matters and the shims work, so check if this is possible before you avoid a gun due to fit.
Totally agree with the assessment of the load restrictions you’ve outlined. My pump is a 3.5” chamber and I’m not getting rid of it, so if I ever NEED to run 3.5” shells I’ll just take my pump. The semi will be a 3” chamber and will be my 90% of the time user, from clays to upland to ducks.

Benelli and Franchi still do shims and adjustability, confirmed last night. Some berettas do, depends on the line, but I’m not sure about any others. I know the old SX3’s did and the new SX4’s don’t. Another reason I’m leaning towards a Benelli/franchi