Need help deciding between the Kifaru AMR and Woodsman

ED43

FNG
Hey guys, first time posting here.. Looking for a little advice. This will be my first real, quality outdoor pack. I hike and camp, and I'm just starting to get into bow hunting. Here's my question... I like the ability of the AMR to compress all the way down, and feel it would make a good day pack when it's compressed with a guide lid. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I will ever need it expanded to full capacity. I think a Woodsman with two large side pockets and guide lid would probably handle most trips I would be taking it on. 99% of my trips will probably be for 3 nights or less. Now, I know the AMR has a great compression system, I'm just concerned with the load being stable. So, am I better off with the AMR that will almost never be filled and trying to compress and stabilize it. Or, am I better off with something like the Woodsman where I'll be more likely to approach the full capacity at times, making the load more stable strictly due to the bag being more full and the material more taught? This has been driving me crazy for a few days because I just got the AMR as a birthday present, but it was ordered right before the Woodsman was released. I only have a couple weeks to decide and exchange it. I don't want to keep the AMR "just in case" I need the space if a smaller pack would do me more justice. Any advice from you more experienced people would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My two cents is keep the AMR as you never know when you may want to expand a day or two and then you have that capability to do so. The flop isnt something truly to worry about with the packs. The load will be more stable on a good frame then you think with how they make them. When in doubt give them a call or get ahold of Aron. Ive never had a problem with flop with the new packs when they got rid of the g hooks which never stayed on for me.

ljalberta

WKR
My experience with my mountain warrior has been that I've been able to secure a light load quite well with the straps. Tightening them down really sucks a load in place - especially if you pack it smart. Air is light to carry, I'd go bigger rather than smaller. Another option you could look at would be the reckoning as an in between. Run it without a lid and it's quite the sleek looking pack. Then you always have the side pockets and snow collar if you want to blow it up.

*edit* I'd go bigger rather than smaller when hunting, as the goal is loading meat in the pack. If you're using this 99% for hiking and short trips, or prefer using a meat shelf, going with a Woodsman might make perfect sense for you (although I'd still take a look at the Reckoning).

Just my 0.02 from a guy who's still learning.

Last edited:
OP
E

ED43

FNG
The flop is exactly what I was worried about. The AMR is pretty big. Day mode seems fine. I was just worried about if I only have one light sleeping bag in there, and a small shelter, and only a two days worth of food. I was worried is was gonna be floppy, or just a little untidy inside with all the excess material bunched up.

The extra material folds up into itself rather nicely when not needed for volume. It's like they designed the AMR to work well in either mode. They knew the extra material would be present and when not completely stuffed the material tucks away and placement of straps keeps everything tidy.

I've had lots of different bags on my frame and the AMR is he only one so far I don't see leaving any time soon. It's just too perfect for small and large loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
Since you already have the Amr, it would be worth it to load it up in a few different configurations and take it out for hike. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. May as well take advantage of the return/exchange window and give it a solid test run.

OP
E

ED43

FNG
Since you already have the Amr, it would be worth it to load it up in a few different configurations and take it out for hike. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. May as well take advantage of the return/exchange window and give it a solid test run.

I know this is going to sound a little crazy. But with my birthday and Christmas being so close together, I'm acutally getting the bag and the frame separately. I guess I was little anxious to see the bag, so I asked for the pack before the frame, so I can't exactly load it up and walk around with it. I guess part of that reasoning was also that I'm in the middle of losing weight, and right on the border between the small and medium belt sizes. So I wanted to give myself a few extra weeks to try and get comfortably into the range of the smaller belt. Like I said, it's my first pack in general, and my first Kifaru, obviously. Not even sure how the belts work exactly. If I lose or gain weight, is it a headache to change the belt?

OP
E

ED43

FNG
The extra material folds up into itself rather nicely when not needed for volume. It's like they designed the AMR to work well in either mode. They knew the extra material would be present and when not completely stuffed the material tucks away and placement of straps keeps everything tidy.

I've had lots of different bags on my frame and the AMR is he only one so far I don't see leaving any time soon. It's just too perfect for small and large loads.

That's what I was thinking when I saw the pictures of it online and the videos, then it arrived and I just started second guessing myself. I just want to make sure I end up with the right piece of gear, especially since it's a little on the more high-end/higher-price tag side. Just don't want to end up getting out in the woods and finding that it's not right for me, but it's too late to return/exchange.

Bingo.

ljalberta

WKR
I know this is going to sound a little crazy. But with my birthday and Christmas being so close together, I'm acutally getting the bag and the frame separately. I guess I was little anxious to see the bag, so I asked for the pack before the frame, so I can't exactly load it up and walk around with it. I guess part of that reasoning was also that I'm in the middle of losing weight, and right on the border between the small and medium belt sizes. So I wanted to give myself a few extra weeks to try and get comfortably into the range of the smaller belt. Like I said, it's my first pack in general, and my first Kifaru, obviously. Not even sure how the belts work exactly. If I lose or gain weight, is it a headache to change the belt?

Gotcha. As for the belt. Quite simple to change out. And if you're right in between them, you can call them and they are able to make a smedium belt.

OP
E

ED43

FNG
Gotcha. As for the belt. Quite simple to change out. And if you're right in between them, you can call them and they are able to make a smedium belt.

Oh, I didn't realize that was an option. Definitely going to look into that. That'll probably work better if my weight is going to fluctuate a little as it tends to do, naturally. Thanks!

Where do you live? There may be a few roksliders around you that wouldn't mind letting you try the frame out. I'm in central OK if that helps.

OP
E

ED43

FNG
Where do you live? There may be a few roksliders around you that wouldn't mind letting you try the frame out. I'm in central OK if that helps.

I'm from northern New Jersey. But you seem pretty happy with your AMR and it's ability to compress, expand, and everything in between. I'm thinking unless someone REALLY convinces me of otherwise, I may just stick with it. I just don't want to have any regrets down the road in the future.

Maybe we could meet in Tennessee for a beer and pack test....

I'm super pleased with the AMR. I've been blessed to handle more Kifaru gear than most small countries could afford. After all my different pack trials....EMRII, DT1,2,3, Highcamp 4800,7000, Mountain Warrior, 22Mag, Nomad, Cargo Panel and a slew of internal frame packs the AMR is hands down my favorite for training weekly, short day hunting trips, and 10 day trips. It just flat works in all shapes and forms. (Don't even feel the need to try anything else/new because it works so well for me)

Granted, everyone's needs are different and I don't run a tripod and spotter but the AMR gives the option to run pockets on the sides for those items if needed. It's capacity allows a guy to run everything inside the bag and no real need for external pockets. When cinched down it leaves just the back pockets exposed for quick access to day hunting gear. Good luck with your search. It's been a fun time finding the perfect bag for me.

OP
E

ED43

FNG
Maybe we could meet in Tennessee for a beer and pack test....

I'm super pleased with the AMR. I've been blessed to handle more Kifaru gear than most small countries could afford. After all my different pack trials....EMRII, DT1,2,3, Highcamp 4800,7000, Mountain Warrior, 22Mag, Nomad, Cargo Panel and a slew of internal frame packs the AMR is hands down my favorite for training weekly, short day hunting trips, and 10 day trips. It just flat works in all shapes and forms. (Don't even feel the need to try anything else/new because it works so well for me)

Granted, everyone's needs are different and I don't run a tripod and spotter but the AMR gives the option to run pockets on the sides for those items if needed. It's capacity allows a guy to run everything inside the bag and no real need for external pockets. When cinched down it leaves just the back pockets exposed for quick access to day hunting gear. Good luck with your search. It's been a fun time finding the perfect bag for me.

Thanks. One last question. Do you happen to know if it's possible to run the side pockets on the AMR while its compressed?

I'm not 100% sure. Never tried to run my SS pockets when it was compressed. Sold them because they weren't ever getting used. If I can run across a pair I'll give it a shot and shoot some pics for you.

I used my AMR on a 5-day drop-camp hunt this season in daypack mode the whole time. I experienced no "flop." The bag was basically completely flat all week and worked perfectly.

I ended up packing a small load, probably 30 pounds or so, out roughly 14 miles. Way less than the AMR's capacity, and the load rode like it wasn't there. Very stable.

All that being said, I'm adding a Woodsman to my kit this Christmas. I'll have 2 bags, my AMR for long trips and family outings, and a Woodsman for 3 days or less. IMO they compliment each other perfectly and since the Woodsman weighs about a pound less, I think it's worth have both options.