Need help finding good value rangefinder

I feel like this is more than I need. It says 5-4500 yard. I really don't need past 1000 yards. Is there a benefit to have it go out to 4500? Does it work out to 4500 yards or is this just marketing. Just want your thoughts on why I should go with such a nice model. Not trying to say you're wrong. I'm not a rangefinder expert. Looking for good value not necessarily the best.
The reason to go with more than you need is because rangefinders rarely will get what they are advertised at. There is not a better ranging rangefinder on the market than the maven and certainly not for the price of the maven. I’ve never tried to get 4500 with mine but it’s ranged everything I’ve pointed it at out to 2200+yards. The biggest benefit of the maven for me is that the electronics side is warrantied for life. Most companies only do a 5 year warranty on the electronics. The only other company I know of that does a lifetime is vortex and I will never own another vortex rangefinder again.

sndmn11

WKR
I've now come across a few people who preach maven as better than vortex. Do you have any thoughts on that?

We have many now among my friends and family.

If I did that review well, it should comes across objectively.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider

We have many now among my friends and family.

If I did that review well, it should comes across objectively.
I'm sold I'm going rf1 I don't think I'll be looking back. Thanks everyone for sharing your input!

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I notice the RF1 has an operating temperature of 23 degrees on the low end. Vortex does not list theirs. Will the RF1 perform in sub freezing? This year there is a chance I'll be hunting in sub 23 temps. I have a late season pronghorn tags... Do t want to spend $450 and get boned like that...

Duh

WKR
I had a vortex 1800 and it did not fair well in the cold, fog conditions, and was absolutely garbage on a clear bright snowy day. I could not get it to give a range at all. It was very inconsistent in the rain.

I have a Leupold 2800 now and it’s been bomb proof and very reliable for the past three years.

Recently, I’ve been leaning towards the sig 2400 ABS.

I’ll add, I do not hate vortex products as much as some do (I have multiple razor scope, spotting scope, and binoculars) but I won’t be purchasing another stand alone range finder from them.

sndmn11

WKR
I notice the RF1 has an operating temperature of 23 degrees on the low end. Vortex does not list theirs. Will the RF1 perform in sub freezing? This year there is a chance I'll be hunting in sub 23 temps. I have a late season pronghorn tags... Do t want to spend $450 and get boned like that...

Yes it's fine to 0f

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I called up tech support so maven craps out at 23 degrees. The Viper is good down to -40 degrees. I think I'm going with the viper.

Looks like the maven has better glass and that cool mode wheel but viper has all of the same modes. Hopefully I'm not making a bad choice. I definitely hunt cold a lot. Especially for pronghorn, yotes and pdogs.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
Yep that what it seems. The marketing says 1000 real world might be 300... So do I need a 3000 to get 1000? The mfg specs seems overly optimistic.
My old rangefinder is good to about 1/3 its rated max in typical sage brush or mountain-ish terrain. Some pine trees or rocks reflected better than others. With a stop sign it would read full distance. Lol

Here’s a screenshot from an earlier conversation:

Attachments

• 279C3AA8-B3D0-4142-ACF7-926C3C79E539.png
    279C3AA8-B3D0-4142-ACF7-926C3C79E539.png
    558 KB · Views: 26
The Swarovski laser guide on the classifieds here for $550 in new condition is a deal. Other than that Leicas are nice for handheld units. 2800 gets you ballistics too which is cool.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
My old rangefinder is good to about 1/3 its rated max in typical sage brush or mountain-ish terrain. Some pine trees or rocks reflected better than others. With a stop sign it would read full distance. Lol

Here’s a screenshot from an earlier conversation:
That is a cool cheat sheet for how these things work. Thanks everyone for their help.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I think a made a solid buy thanks to your input. I went to sportsman's and I tried out a bunch of their rangefinders. They had a grand opening and I got $20 gift card. I asked to buy the the viper and they couldn't find the box. They sold me the viper for $80 off so I paid $319 for it. That is what the ranger 1800 goes for. I noticed the vortex was very quick and it had a nice easy to operate focus ring. I was able to range out past 2000 yards with ease. The menu was easy to cycle thru. I was heavily considering the maven but the operating temperature is what got me. Vortex said I should be good down to -40. Hopefully they are not BSing. I plan to wear the rangefinder on my bino harness. I will be hunting in temps below zero this year with my late season pronghorn.

TaperPin

WKR
I think a made a solid buy thanks to your input. I went to sportsman's and I tried out a bunch of their rangefinders. They had a grand opening and I got $20 gift card. I asked to buy the the viper and they couldn't find the box. They sold me the viper for $80 off so I paid $319 for it. That is what the ranger 1800 goes for. I noticed the vortex was very quick and it had a nice easy to operate focus ring. I was able to range out past 2000 yards with ease. The menu was easy to cycle thru. I was heavily considering the maven but the operating temperature is what got me. Vortex said I should be good down to -40. Hopefully they are not BSing. I plan to wear the rangefinder on my bino harness. I will be hunting in temps below zero this year with my late season pronghorn.
Nice!