Need help from Colorado residents

With the meeker area, I will say that in between rifle and meeker could be a diamond in the rough. Access to amenities and hunting/fishing. Down south near antinito might be good too.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
With the meeker area, I will say that in between rifle and meeker could be a diamond in the rough. Access to amenities and hunting/fishing. Down south near antinito might be good too.

I would be wary of the Antinito area. Lots goes on down there that doesn’t get discussed publicly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I would be wary of the Antinito area. Lots goes on down there that doesn’t get discussed publicly.

Care to share more? I live on the Ks/Co border and would like to find a place for the future also, just not sure it will be worth living there when I reach the age I can retire. I make a few trips to Colorado each year, usually a summer trip with the family, an elk trip, and when time allows I hit the slopes in the winter. We have to go to Denver a couple times a year for Dr. visits etc. but that front range makes my head hurt. It seems to me from one year to the next things are getting more crowded for sure. If you have a place with good mountain access for all types of outdoor enthusiasts, and good restaurants and amenities, then you can count on that area having a solid crowd of people come and go with the seasons. The unpopular and unpopulated areas of Colorado don't offer much of anything whether its a restaurant or a good outdoor scene. I think the answer is find the place that you enjoy the best and can afford, and learn when to "hide out" from the tourists.

George

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hunting 1st season rifle this year so I'm still fishing. Went to my make it or break it hole up in the Weminuche yesterday. I've got trout sizzling in the pan right now.

G

DSC00041 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC00036 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC00060 (1200 x 900).jpg

George

Lil-Rokslider
My house is 6-7 miles off the drag, about in the middle of the first picture, at the top of the Pagosa Lakes Home Owners Association. If one has to live in the subdivision this is a good hood to be in.

DSC09287 (1200 x 900).jpg

200 yards right out the front door is Hatcher Res.

DSC09297 (1200 x 900).jpg

200 yards left out the door is the gate to the National Forest and Turkey Springs Trail system.

DSC09844 (1200 x 900).jpg

Danarnold, you didn't get me started with this but you did get me moving on it at a faster pace. I'm ready to sign some purchase agreements.

G

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Care to share more? I live on the Ks/Co border and would like to find a place for the future also, just not sure it will be worth living there when I reach the age I can retire. I make a few trips to Colorado each year, usually a summer trip with the family, an elk trip, and when time allows I hit the slopes in the winter. We have to go to Denver a couple times a year for Dr. visits etc. but that front range makes my head hurt. It seems to me from one year to the next things are getting more crowded for sure. If you have a place with good mountain access for all types of outdoor enthusiasts, and good restaurants and amenities, then you can count on that area having a solid crowd of people come and go with the seasons. The unpopular and unpopulated areas of Colorado don't offer much of anything whether its a restaurant or a good outdoor scene. I think the answer is find the place that you enjoy the best and can afford, and learn when to "hide out" from the tourists.

I’ll only say this much because other than one rather horrific story most of what I’ve heard is second hand. There’s quite a bit of crime and gang activity in that area. It’s commonly accepted that certain roads in that area shouldn’t be traveled at night alone. There is rumored to be quite a bit of airplane traffic in and out of the desert area at all hours day and night.

DEHusker

WKR
I don’t want to sound like Debbie downer but California East (Colorado) has changed so much in the last 5 to 10 years that it’s not even the state that I grew up in. You will face constant tourism, development, growth, degradation of the natural surroundings, and overall distraction of what you consider a peaceful nature filled life that it’s almost not worth even mentioning anymore. Some of the political views, taxes, drug legalization, etc. has led to a completely altered state. It is very difficult to find anything in the state anymore that’s not just completely inundated with people And development. Plus, as already mentioned, crime and drug trafficking is a real problem in certain parts of the state. Some of the smaller towns are just riddled with drugs and crime, and the larger towns are riddled with growth, development, traffic, and major problems. Plus, the road system cannot keep up with the growth and traffic is a nightmare in most parts of the state. It’s difficult to even find an easy place to get out of town to get into the mountains without seeing dozens or hundreds of people on any given day.Wyoming is much better in this regard, but you have even fewer places to choose from and the wind there is absolutely horrible. I think the entire western part of the US is getting developed to the point where we’re not going to recognize it in the next 30 to 50 years. If we would develop it correctly and tastefully it might be OK. However, I don’t have much hope. None of this even takes into account the hunting situation in Colorado which is just going to get more and more abysmal with the population explosion. Tags will become harder to get and the over the counter situation, although already pretty miserable, should become almost untenable. People who are applying now for sheep, moose, and goat tags if they’re just starting out may actually never even draw a tag but they sure will pay and hundreds or even thousands of dollars into the system. Good Lord, I’m depressing myself with this post. Oh, what the hell, just move here and have fun!

My ideal location would be Montrose or Ridgway. I think Gunnison would be pretty good as well, however, I don't think the winters would be very fun as it gets very cold and stays that way for a while.