Need help from Colorado residents

danarnold

WKR
Looking to relocate to Colorado, and somewhere secluded with year-round access, hoping to have wildlife on the property, looking to be able to elk hunt less than an hour from home, need a town (with good stores and restaurants)+- an hour from home, I work from home so a commute to work isn’t a factor.
Looked at some places out near Montrose, when I started looking further east around Florissant,Westcliffe and south towards Trinidad the prices were quite a bit cheaper for comparable. Don’t want to be in the high desert or and sagebrush. Pondarosa and Aspen is what we would prefer.
Looking forward to suggestions from you guys

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I love the Western Slope.....always have. I remember when Ridgeway's population was around 200.......awesome place. But things have changed over there. Constant summer traffic on 2 lane roads.........traffic and crowds.....my biggest nemesis.

Just got back from the Westcliffe area a couple weeks ago. Great relaxation without much traffic. But if you want to get into the trees, you'll pay more. Rosita isn't what it used to be........too crowded IMO. But that seems to be the trend these days......the best places get crowded.

Good luck on your search........I've been searching for some time to get away from the Front Range, and that includes Florissant.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Ive seen quite a few of these type threads over the last few months. A lot of people recommend Wyoming over Colo. Better tag situation. Just saying.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A lot of people recommend Wyoming over Colo.

Yep. That option is growing on me more and more, just for more solitude. However, if we did that.......it would also pretty much guarantee that we became snowbirds and left WY every year after archery season. But that actually doesn't sound bad either.

OP
danarnold

danarnold

WKR
Yep. That option is growing on me more and more, just for more solitude. However, if we did that.......it would also pretty much guarantee that we became snowbirds and left WY every year after archery season. But that actually doesn't sound bad either.

I’ve considered it, Co is still more attractive to me

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Is there solitude in Colorado anymore?
Sure feels crowded here to me. I am being serious. The whole western half of the state is going nutso.
I'm thinking of heading far north to Montana or Idaho. They still have winter there I hear.

AGPank

WKR
I grew up in Craig, great place if you like outdoor recreation, more sagebrush than aspen and pines. An hour from Steamboat.

Grand County has some good options from Winter Park to Hot Sulphur Springs.

Buena Vista is a beautiful area.

Other than that the other west slope areas are good recommendations.

If you work from home and need high speed Internet then watch for that in remote areas.

When I get back to Craig, I rarely even have 3G network coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George

Lil-Rokslider
Pagosa is a madhouse, I have 2 more years to avoid capitol gains.

G

Danarnold, I don't want to be too sour on pagosa, southwest Colorado is a pretty cushy place to live. Solitude can be found in the woods and hills. The area provides good fishing and hunting opportunities. The year around climate is very nice and comfortable. I left a county in Iowa that had 7,000 people living in it, void of a single fast food or red light. I figured some time in CO would give a chance to kill an elk and mule deer and provide me with some more exposure to people. I did learn how to catch fish with a fly rod here and took up BJJ. I'm still working on the elk but I miss landownership, oak/hickory forest, and my beloved whitetails. I know some duds but there are good people here. You'll hear people bitching about Texans but they float the economy. Whether they be country or big city I find the Texans to generally be good company. I miss whip poor wills and may finish my time in a county with 7,000 people in it.

G

gelton

WKR
Not a resident but have a good friend in Guffey, has 60 acres, you can see Pikes peak from his back porch. Cripple Creeks about 35 minutes away, Colorado Springs is about 45 minutes away, Florissant is about 20 minutes away. When he "goes to town" its normally in Canyon City. Spent alot of time there, nice place.

y1kWnIJm.jpg

CQAXcgem.jpg

Last edited:

George

Lil-Rokslider
Saturday I was up on a hill here in the hood looking for deer sign which I found and took this photo looking west over the ranch, Piedra, Sand Bench, Bald Peak. I had the place to myself.

Did I mention zero ticks or chiggers?

G

DSC00009 (1200 x 900).jpg

Last edited: