Need help on picking a water bladder

fwafwow

WKR
Which one to buy? I want something (in order of importance) with (1) a long tube (40" is too short for me), (2) bomb proof (it will be inside my pack), (3) 90 degree angle bite valve that isn't a pain to suck on, and (4) lightweight (if that's possible). I want 2L or 3L. My preference is also not to have to create a Franken-blader with separate parts, or a homemade extension, especially if I have to make a trip to the hardware store (I'm lazy, I will buy the wrong stuff and/or I will build something that leaks.) . I have the Platy Hoser, but the hose is only 40" and it doesn't have a 90* bite valve (and the valve on it is a bit of a pain to use).

The various articles and reviews I found seem to me to be somewhat inconsistent (in some cases, even within the same article).
  • I liked the idea of the Source, but the hose is apparently less than 40" (36" per a Q&A on Amazon).
  • The Mil Spec Crux 3L has a 42" hose (not that much longer than my Platy), but it may be too wide for my MR Metcalf, and it doesn't have a 90* BV option.
  • Platy Big Zip Evo - great reviews on Outdoor Lab, and 90* BV, but the hose is 40"
  • HydraPak - all seem to be 36" tubes
  • Geigerrig Hydration Engine tube is 37"
  • MSR Dromlite - the hydration kit is only 40"
  • Osprey - hose doesn't appear to be long, and the reviews (even on their own site) are pretty bad

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Are you planning to do a quick disconnect setup, like what is offered by Sawyer, to allow you to refill the bladder while still in the pack? If you are, just get whatever bladder you like and an extra hose and Franken-hose them together for whatever length you want and all you have to order separate is the QD kit. It comes with all the parts, you just need a pair of scissors to install it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
Not being argumentative, but I'm curious why a typical 40 inch hose is too short for you? I haven't run into that myself, and have always run mil spec Camelbak bladders and hoses. I had several leak in the early 2000s, but have had good luck out of the newer ones. They're heavy relative to other bladder for sure though.

I found this 48" tube replacement kit on Amazon. Mixed reviews, but might be worth a shot for $15 to replace just the tube on whatever bladder you're already running.

NBKYSCAR

FNG
I’ve run the source system for the last year and a half and personally really like it. With the quick disconnect setup you could always buy a second tube and daisy chain them together...but that might be more tube than you really need.

rcb2000

WKR
Just picked up and ran the Platypus today, so far it’s great. Love the zip top fill, super easy to use.
I plan on hooking up mine with the sawyer quick connect, but definitely won’t need a long hose, I may end up actually trimming mine shorter.

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
Are you planning to do a quick disconnect setup, like what is offered by Sawyer, to allow you to refill the bladder while still in the pack? If you are, just get whatever bladder you like and an extra hose and Franken-hose them together for whatever length you want and all you have to order separate is the QD kit. It comes with all the parts, you just need a pair of scissors to install it.

Do this. It is what most do. I had some hose from an old bladder laying around. You can get hose on Amazon though. Get the quick disconnects from Sawyer. Platypus makes some similar. Then you can make it as long as you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR

I had not gotten that far to consider the QD setup, as I've (so far) just been using the bladder in my pack when I'm training. (I'm a rookie - if it wasn't obvious.) I have a CNOC water collection bag, and a Sawyer Squeeze, so I guess I could run the setup you are describing. I might come back to you for specifics on the kit. Thanks!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Not being argumentative, but I'm curious why a typical 40 inch hose is too short for you? I haven't run into that myself, and have always run mil spec Camelbak bladders and hoses. I had several leak in the early 2000s, but have had good luck out of the newer ones. They're heavy relative to other bladder for sure though.

I found this 48" tube replacement kit on Amazon. Mixed reviews, but might be worth a shot for $15 to replace just the tube on whatever bladder you're already running.
Don't worry, I don't take the feedback as argumentative - thanks for the input. I *think* I need a longer tube, and a 90* BV, as I am constantly getting trapezius pain in the side opposite from where the tube is threaded, which I am assuming is because the tube is too short and I'm having to turn my head/lean over to get a drink. I'm not huge (6'2"), so I can't see why I'm having this problem, especially when so many bladders have even shorter hoses. I found that same tube on Amazon and while I'm ok with taking a shot with that, I was surprised that's about the only thing out there, that there aren't longer OEM options, and that the 90* isn't more common. I'd prefer to get the best OEM all-in-one-package, even if I need to "start over" and not use the Platy Hoser, but I just don't see that option out there.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Do this. It is what most do. I had some hose from an old bladder laying around. You can get hose on Amazon though. Get the quick disconnects from Sawyer. Platypus makes some similar. Then you can make it as long as you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I think this is my fall-back as I keep my hopes up that someone says "Oh, you should just get the [Force][MS Camelbak] and call them to ask for the [48" tube with the 90*] - it's not on their website but they do make it." Yeah.

mvrk28

WKR
Is the tube long enough, and how tall are you?
I’m 6’1” and the the tube is long enough to come up and out of my pack, over and down my shoulder and across my chest where I attach to my shoulder strap from my pack. Even if the tube weren’t long enough I’d just get a long tube and use this setup, the mouthpiece/pump is awesome.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I’m 6’1” and the the tube is long enough to come up and out of my pack, over and down my shoulder and across my chest where I attach to my shoulder strap from my pack. Even if the tube weren’t long enough I’d just get a long tube and use this setup, the mouthpiece/pump is awesome.
Wow. It's a 48" tube!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mvrk28

WKR
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I love the HydraPak Force. To be honest he 36” tube has never bothered me and I’m 6’2”.
I asked Hydrapak customer support about the Full Force problems and they said they aren't making it anymore, although those online are still available.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk