Need some help choosing a new "puffy" jacket

jpratt

FNG
Hey gang, I want to purchase a new puffy jacket and would like some advice on which one you would buy and why. I am considering the new jacket from first lite but would like to hear some options. I would use it for backcountry hunting both in the west and a up coming trip to alaska. Thanks in advance for your help! Jerry.

crumy

WKR
I am interested in this topic too. Found a Patagonia sweater at REI along with a REI Kimtah shell that looked really nice to go along with it. think that combo would work. But then of course there is the Kryptek, kuiu, insert brand here.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Give Hells Canyon or BitterRoot Bulls or both a P.M. They might have some pretty good working knowledge with the First Lite.

The First Lite puffy is a great jacket and I think you'd be very happy with it. Blocks the wind great and it keeps you very warm. I would not feel any remorse in purchasing it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I agree with Nick. Its going to be the warmest out of the hunting line of puffys but its also the heaviest. It's perfect for throwing over your jacket and glassing.

Last edited:
OP
J

jpratt

FNG
Heavy? Compared too others of similar build or to down? Are you talking a couple of oz or lbs? Thanks for the replies guys!

c
I agree with Nick. Its going to be the warmest out of the hunting line of puffys but its also the heaviest. It's perfect for throwing over your jacket and glassing.

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
I am going with the super down hoodie from KUIU. My reasons are weight, compressibility, loft retention in wet weather, drying time, and I like the solid color option for year round wear.

sk1

WKR
i just got my superdown from kuiu a few months ago, pretty impressed with the warmth, especially considering the weight

jherald

WKR
My fav puffy over any is the Patagonia Nano-Puff pullover in grey. Ultra light, warm for layering or standalone, packs down tiny, weighs ounces.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Jpratt, the First Lite puffy is 19.1 OZ in size large. The Super down pullover I have is 7.5 ounces. The superdown is warm but it's not as windproof as the FL. I am still not sold on any down for the wet ass weather(brush) we have here in North Idaho. I will pack the SD in the summer and through the archery season. But from mid October on I will use the FL Puffy. It's warmer and wind proof. I haven't used the Kryptec puffy. I tried Aron's on and it seems very well built, but I still think overall the FL will be the warmest out of those three.

Jpratt, the First Lite puffy is 19.1 OZ in size large. The Super down pullover I have is 7.5 ounces. The superdown is warm but it's not as windproof as the FL. I am still not sold on any down for the wet ass weather(brush) we have here in North Idaho. I will pack the SD in the summer and through the archery season. But from mid October on I will use the FL Puffy. It's warmer and wind proof. I haven't used the Kryptec puffy. I tried Aron's on and it seems very well built, but I still think overall the FL will be the warmest out of those three.

I'm new to the "puffy" option this year. I have always been a heavy weight wool guy for insulation. I went with the Super Down because of the weight to warmth ratio and it's ability to pack down to nothing. I would have bought it even if it did not have the DWR finish on the down.

One thing I don't get is when guys comment on not wanting down because of it getting wet..... In all my time in the bush I can't think of a time when my wool sweaters got wet. If it was raining I put my rain jacket on. If I was hiking I took the wool off because it was too warm and did not want to get it wet with sweat. Not as big of a deal as I think everyone is making down out to be. Or maybe I'll learn the hard way this fall!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Todd I have been soaked more than once from head to toe with rain gear on. I guess it's all on how you hunt. I'm not saying SD isn't a great product. I just like to roll with synthetic insulators during the shitty parts of the year.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a puffy for next season too. Considering the FL Uncompahgre, KUIU Spindrift and Super Down, among others. I think Core 4 Element is coming out with one this year as well.

huntinrod

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mont Bell Ultralight Down Inner "Parka" (hooded). They make a "jacket" too (non-hooded, but same jacket). It weighs around nine ounces, is extremely warm, and super windproof. Best jacket for ultralight hunting I have ever owned...takes a little care to use (light material) but I wear it as a layer and only outer when sitting so it doesnt get snagged etc. Ebay all day long....or backcountrygear.com...great jacket!

KMD

Banned
I found a 1/2 zip Primaloft pullover in Cabelas Bargain Cave. Gonna carry & use it exclusively as a mid layer, between a merino wool 1st layer and my camo outer shell. Weighs nothing, super warm, and packs down into the chest zip pocket. Can't be beat for $60...

Eagle

WKR
I have a Mont Bell Ultralight Down Inner "Parka" (hooded). They make a "jacket" too (non-hooded, but same jacket). It weighs around nine ounces, is extremely warm, and super windproof. Best jacket for ultralight hunting I have ever owned...takes a little care to use (light material) but I wear it as a layer and only outer when sitting so it doesnt get snagged etc. Ebay all day long....or backcountrygear.com...great jacket!

I've got the jacket version and agree 100%, it's 7oz's and I don't think it can be beat for price/weight/warmth.

OP
J

jpratt

FNG
Well just got off the phone with KUIU. I ordered the hooded super down in verde camo. It's warmth to weight ratio and it's ability to pack very small made it a reasonable choice for me. I usually hunt the archery season in CO so I should be good there. If I do end up hunting a wet weather climate I may have to purchase a synthetic. Or maybe not, time will tell? Thanks for all the replys! I really appreciate the feed back!

have sitka kelvin jacket with the primaloft fill , just wondering how it would compare with the sd from kuiu or new puffy from first lite, any ideas?????

Leopard

FNG
Well just got off the phone with KUIU. I ordered the hooded super down in verde camo. It's warmth to weight ratio and it's ability to pack very small made it a reasonable choice for me. I usually hunt the archery season in CO so I should be good there. If I do end up hunting a wet weather climate I may have to purchase a synthetic. Or maybe not, time will tell? Thanks for all the replys! I really appreciate the feed back!

You won't be disappointed. It's a great jacket!

Absolutely love mine.

For interest, I wrote a review of it a few months ago: http://adventurousbowhunter.com/2013/03/20/kuiu-super-down-hooded-jacket-review/