Need some scope advice for Browning XBolt HC LR 300 Win Mag

Hello, I am new to this group and thank you for letting me in. i am having a hard time choosing a scope for my first Elk Hunt in Colorado this fall. It will go on a new Browning 300 Win Mag Hells Canyon LR rifle. Its long barrel with a muzzle break, but i am a big guy for what is an extra point or two. That said, i need to find a scope quickly. I waited to long to get a custom turret for a custom load. I have reduced my search area to either a Leupold VX5 (3-15x44 or Zeiss Conquest v4 4-16x44, either one with a firedot or illuminated dot. I had been looking at either lenses at either 42-44 and was told by multiple people to make sure i dont over scope my rifle.

That said, i have poor eyesight and wear glasses. I never use anything under 6x even when deer hunting. My questions is, how many of you use a 50mm objective lense on your Elk rifle? When people mention "over-scope" do they mean the 7x35x56? After the hunt, the rifle will primarily be used for long range target shooting. I hope to go on a second Elk hunt or more, but not sure with a child in college.

Thanks for any and all advice!

I don't have that exact Leopold or Zeiss, but I have all around them and my .02 is I like my Zeiss slightly more than Leupold. The objective lense you will hardly see a difference in weight or brightness. Buy what you want and promise everyone else you want ask them to carry it.

Lytro

WKR
I have a Leupold VX5 3-15x44 with the firedot reticle on a 7RM that I've used for deer and elk. It has held up well without losing zero in the 3 years I have had it. I found the firedot to be pointless though and I never turn it on.

Hello, I am new to this group and thank you for letting me in. i am having a hard time choosing a scope for my first Elk Hunt in Colorado this fall. It will go on a new Browning 300 Win Mag Hells Canyon LR rifle. Its long barrel with a muzzle break, but i am a big guy for what is an extra point or two. That said, i need to find a scope quickly. I waited to long to get a custom turret for a custom load. I have reduced my search area to either a Leupold VX5 (3-15x44 or Zeiss Conquest v4 4-16x44, either one with a firedot or illuminated dot. I had been looking at either lenses at either 42-44 and was told by multiple people to make sure i dont over scope my rifle.

That said, i have poor eyesight and wear glasses. I never use anything under 6x even when deer hunting. My questions is, how many of you use a 50mm objective lense on your Elk rifle? When people mention "over-scope" do they mean the 7x35x56? After the hunt, the rifle will primarily be used for long range target shooting. I hope to go on a second Elk hunt or more, but not sure with a child in college.

Thanks for any and all advice!
I have owned several 3-15 VX5HDs, a few VX6HDs, a couple V4 4-16s and a couple V6s, a 3-18 and a 5-30. I no longer own any of them. In that price range I would look at the trijicon credo or the nightforce SHV lines of scopes

I had the exact same rifle, killed an elk at 550 and 505 yards and 2 mule deer at about 100 yards in NW CO. I used a Burris Veracity 4x20x50 on the first shot. Only had the scope on about 16. I also wear glasses and I didn't like the FFP. Then I changed to a Zeiss V6 3x18x50. SFP. Only had it on about 14. I've had none of the issues in the reviews stated on here.

My sons have 7 mm mags and use Zeiss V4 4x16x44. One shot his elk at 660 yards the other at 600 yards. If I wanted to save a bit of money I'd go Z4, the 44 mm is not an issue. I had a good bonus and both sons out of college so splurged on the Z6, awesome glass!

Don't have any illuminated reticles. Good glass, a great trigger and plenty of practice will help make the hunt successful!!!!!!!!!

WKR

WKR
I have the same rifle in 7mm rem mag with a zeiss conquest v4 4-16X50 and its done really well for me.

I can't comment on the VX5, but I do own a V4 4-16×50. I am one of those guys that runs ×50s on most of my rifles. A few years back I started using x50 scopes on my hunting rifles and have not looked back. IMO, I think it boils down to personal preference and the type of country you hunt.
Additionally, the majority of the scopes that I use these days are in the 14-18X range.

OP
B
I reallly appreciate everyone’s input. I will keep you posted on my journey! Now I gave to find boots to fit me. Kenetreks too expensive and schnees were too small in 15s, so I neeed to find a great mountain boot in size 16. Lowa is only a few that go up to 16 but they are not insulated. Might have to look at Danner

I reallly appreciate everyone’s input. I will keep you posted on my journey! Now I gave to find boots to fit me. Kenetreks too expensive and schnees were too small in 15s, so I neeed to find a great mountain boot in size 16. Lowa is only a few that go up to 16 but they are not insulated. Might have to look at Danner
Take a look at ebay! I've picked up Kenetrek and Hanwags boots for the whole family and saved a ton.