Need Trail Running Show Advice

I am trying to decide which way to go for some trail running shoes. Most of the runs are on pretty packed soil but with some loose stuff or even a litle mud mixed. Looking for some suggestions for a good all around shoe to start training for some 10k and hopefully a little longer trail runs. I have had good luck with asics for road running but no clue for trail running shoes.

BigShane54

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running the Salomon Speedcross 3's for a few years now and have been very happy with both the comfort and durability. I know they are the older model, not familiar with any of the new models but I am sure they have the same, or better quality.

It sounds like your asics shoe will do except for traction in the mud. If you like the asics, then you can look for one of the Asics trail runners or the cross over. I have had good luck running the Fuji, the Trabuco, and the Kahana. I have since moved to running Hokas. For me it is more about the stability that the certain models offer because I over pronate A LOT!! As for the others mentioned... I like the Salomans for known muddy terrain. When just wearing them, I found that I tore and wore out some of the lugs thus causing more movement of the foot/shoe on the trail. I also run a lot over rocky terrain and granite surfaces so lugs are out for me unless the trail is muddy and slick. I have tried the altras as well. I like them as an everyday shoes, but they don't work for me as runners with the zero drop.
The best advice is to start with something close to your road shoe but maybe just a tad more traction on the sole. A good runners shop can watch your movement when running and recommend something better.
Nonetheless, enjoy the run!

I would normally recommend visiting a running store and trying a few on but that likely isn't an option for you these days. You could research online reviews. But I would probably just refresh your shoes with ones you know that work, even if that means they aren't ideal for the surface. If they fit your feet, you'll be able to get through anything.

I second on the Speedcross. I have the 5's in GTX and love them. Have done a few trail races the last couple of years and they preformed great. I just needed to learn how to tie them properly during the first race. Due to how welll they gripped going downhill, I needed to tighten them up a bit.

If you are running a lot on tight packed trail you might appreciate less lug than a speedcross. XA 3D's are great but a bit heavy in my opinion.

I agree with the above comment about getting something similar to your road shoe, match the heel/toe drop and make sure you have room in the foot box.

I use a combination of Hoka's and Nikes.
Hokas are fantastic but they can make you a bit lazy due to ho forgiving they are. The nikes (Kiaga, wildhorse, pegusus trail) are excellent shoes that a lot of track runners started using when they first came out. Nice and light but perform well on trails.

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you're willing to look into the zero drop shoes, I like my Altras. Started out with Asics as well when I first started running and then switched over to primarily trail running. Had a paid of Salomon XA's for a while. Since then I've had the Altra King (most aggressive tread and lowest stack height), Altra Superior (medium tread and low stack height), and the Altra Lone Peak (more aggressive tread and higher stack height).

I've had several generations of the Superiors and Lone Peaks over the years. My current go to is the Lone Peak. I feel like the zero drop and wide toe box has helped my form and some pain I had years ago. I feel like it is a good mix of cushioning and grip.

If you decide to go zero drop a shoe store will probably test your flexibility before buying them. As others have said, I would ease into it. I'm glad I went the zero drop route. I don't see myself going back anytime soon.

Bcovis

FNG
You would benefit from going to a proper running store. They will look at your foot and gait, which might favour a particular shoe or brand. I wouldn’t recommend going to a 0 drop shoe if you are currently running in something that is likely in the 8-10mm range. Depending on your weight and terrain it makes a huge difference on your choice. You most likely won’t require a rock plate if you are running on hard packed trails. I prefer a sturdier shoe with a bigger stack because I am heavier (205lbs) by running standards. I find it helps cushion my feet.

Norm555

WKR
Another fan of the Salomon speed Ross here. I like the non-Gtx version beach use I mostly run in dry, warm weather

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest test fitting a bunch of shoes, I could type out several shoes that work for me, but would have no idea if they would for you

your local running shoe store would be where I would start, if you don't have one- runningwarehouse.com is a great place to order shoes; unlike most stores you can actually use them and still return them (for exchange)

once you find a shoe that works, I suggest buying several pairs as often models get changed or dropped

OP
B
Thanks guys found some lone peaks on sale the older 4.0 will give them a try. I heard of folks archery hunting them man I don't think I would risk it the weight saving and breathability would be awesome but with my luck ankle would roll or tons of rain..