Need your 2 cents on a decision.

GregB

WKR
A buddy of mine at work had his hunting partner bail on him this year and he hit me up to go archery elk hunting with him this year. He says he is into elk every year and I know he killed 2 or 3 where he hunts. Outside of taking my son for rifle season I have always hunted by myself. Last year was my first year archery hunting, and I like the unit I was in, the numbers are low but I was able to punch my tag. I can also do some scouting for moose while I am there. I would like to get the unit I hunt dialed in since it was my first year up there. I'm hunting with a re-curve this year so it would be nice to have a caller to get the animals closer, and he has been archery hunting for a while so I might learn a few things. He likes to go up for a week, I prefer going for a couple. I think I'm having trouble deciding because either is equally appealing and I can't find anything to push me one way or the other. So i figured I would get some words of wisdom from my fellow Roksliders.

IdahoElk

WKR
As someone that also hunts with a recurve having a buddy call for you is a big advantage. I'd go with him,have fun and learn from the experience of someone that has been successful archery hunting,I'd also go alone as much as possible as you can't tag a Elk unless you're out there.
Good luck!

He goes for a week, and you usually go a couple-weeks or days at a time? I usually hunt alone too but last year went for a weekend with a couple coworkers and it was fine. Everyone kind of branched out on their own and joined back up. Worth a shot joining him for a week, might pay off in multiple ways.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

I'd go back where you went last year that way when 2020 rolls around and his buddy is able to go with him again you aren't left high and dry. Usually, the only one looking out for yourself is yourself... I'd stack the chips in my favor in order to learn a spot that I can count on annually moving forward.

I think you go hunting with him for a week in his unit. You get to learn a new unit with someone that knows that unit. You might find you like it than the one you have already hunted. After the week is up, if you have not harvested your bull, continue to hunt that new unit the additional week or head back to your original unit . If you guys hit it off well next year you might hook up again . Hunt every chance you get!

OP
G

GregB

WKR
Thanks for the input, I decided to go and it didn't take much convincing to talk him into a longer trip. Hopefully I can find an animal dumb enough to let me get within 20 yards.

Maverick1

WKR
As others have suggested, try hunting with him for a bit....if it works, great....if not, go to the unit you hunted previously.

There's no reason you can't hunt solo and call for yourself and kill. The right sounds at the right time from the right spot, will put bulls in your lap

Les

FNG
I agree with others and think you should go. You never know when you run into a good hunting partner, and as everyone knows, they are hard to find.