Nemo competing with the xtherm

geriggs

WKR
Just got an email on a tensor extreme with an 8.5 R rating. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
83c0fb56da5ef6133393418866f4712e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
At that weight it's going to be noisy I bet. It'll have to use reflective film to keep the weight low. We'll see soon enough.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Purple pants granola guy up here tried one. Didn't seem to get good results and I bet it hurt him financially to say so.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
Saw that. I decided to take the plunge. It’s on it way. I’ll try to report back with performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one, tested it out backpacking this past weekend. Temps were above 40 overnight, so can't really speak to how warm it really is yet. It was not any noiser or more crinkly than my regular insulated Tensor, definitely less noisy than the XTherm. The extra inch of thickness is noticable and quite comfortable. Weight with stuff and pump sacks is 1lb 8oz.

taskswap

WKR
In terms of noise I'd love a side by side comparison. My NeoAir XTherm NXT has been great for warmth but it's like sleeping on bubble wrap lined with a mylar balloon...

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've never had an issue with any of the Xtherm or Xlites with noise, especially the newer ones. Made in the USA with a great warranty is nice too. Nemo makes good gear, but 3 layers of foil is going to lead to noise eventually, the piper has to be paid somehow.

CFMT

FNG
I got one, tested it out backpacking this past weekend. Temps were above 40 overnight, so can't really speak to how warm it really is yet. It was not any noiser or more crinkly than my regular insulated Tensor, definitely less noisy than the XTherm. The extra inch of thickness is noticable and quite comfortable. Weight with stuff and pump sacks is 1lb 8oz.
What are you using for a bag?

I am on a quest to stretch a chillkoot quilt down as cold as I can, so the new Tensor extreme is quite interesting to me.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I've never had an issue with any of the Xtherm or Xlites with noise, especially the newer ones. Made in the USA with a great warranty is nice too. Nemo makes good gear, but 3 layers of foil is going to lead to noise eventually, the piper has to be paid somehow.

My Xtherm used to be quite crinkly. After years of use it's now totally quiet.

I have the Tensor Ultralight. Rated at 4.2 insulation. I feel like its done fairly well, but I haven't tested it in sub 30* temps yet. Its not overly crinkly; and truthfully i don't thinks its crinkly at all

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
How much has it been used in those years and does it seem to insulate as well?
Oh, let's say 200 nights over 10 years. I've never punctured it or had any problems.

It quit crinkling so much after maybe 25 nights of use (although I think it's rolling it up and jamming it in a pack that gets all the crinkle out).

It's as warm as ever, as far as I can tell. Did fine on a winter moose hunt with temps down to -10 or so. I didn't get cold unless my feet came off of it or something like that.

ewade07

WKR
Curious to hear what you guys who have bought one think of the Tensor extreme pad. Thinking of adding one to the gear room.

svivian

WKR
Didnt see this thread till now.... I got one when it first came out and have about 12 nights on it so pretty limited. During second season temps dropped down to zero at night and this pad paired with a big agnes summit park 15 bag was plenty warm. For reference I am a warm sleeper and was wearing a hoody and light sweat pants. I enjoyed the 4" of thickness as im 225lbs and sleep on my sides. Also in terms of noise this is much quieter than the xtherm if you are a tosser. The valves are a big improvement over older generations of nemo pads.

Ill need alot more time though before I would say it competes in durability. So far I like it though.

S.Clancy

WKR
Didnt see this thread till now.... I got one when it first came out and have about 12 nights on it so pretty limited. During second season temps dropped down to zero at night and this pad paired with a big agnes summit park 15 bag was plenty warm. For reference I am a warm sleeper and was wearing a hoody and light sweat pants. I enjoyed the 4" of thickness as im 225lbs and sleep on my sides. Also in terms of noise this is much quieter than the xtherm if you are a tosser. The valves are a big improvement over older generations of nemo pads.

Ill need alot more time though before I would say it competes in durability. So far I like it though.
That good to know. Some of those other ultralight pads it sounds like you are rolling around on pop cans all night.

Does it lock you in place decently well in the night?

I cannot stand how bad I slide around on my Xtherm, granted I plan on switching to a ZenBivy setup to eliminate that issue entirely whether I switch pads or not.

svivian

WKR
Does it lock you in place decently well in the night?

I cannot stand how bad I slide around on my Xtherm, granted I plan on switching to a ZenBivy setup to eliminate that issue entirely whether I switch pads or not.
I cant answer your question well because I use the Big Agnes park series bags that have a sleeve in the back to put your pad in.