Neoair Xlite or Synmat UL7

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Going on my first elk hunt this September. Couldn't decide between the Neoair Xlite or the synmat ul7 so I ordered both and still cant decide. Upon receiving both pads, first impression of the Xlite was like crunching a bag of potato chips! My question to you guys with experience with the Xlite.... Is the saving on weight and dealing with a crunchy pad worth it? I feel like it would be a hassle possibly for a buddy in another tent listening to me crunch around all night. Anyone ever have this problem or am I overthinking this? Thanks

No experience with the Xlite but currently use the Xtherm and it's supposed to be loud and crunchy. It's never bothered me and my partner hasn't complained about me making too much noise from the bag crunching. Now my snoring.......that's a whole other thread

FreeRange

WKR
I have the xlite xtherm and ul7. Each fits their own use. For sept the xlite would be my choice. I like the xtherm for October onwards and I think the ul7 is more comparable to that weight and warmth wise. I only have the ul7 for use doubled up with my wife's with a double quilt. I know what you mean about the noise and it doesn't bother me personally. If you're thinking of returning the ul7, replacing it with a new square xtherm would be the ticket for later season stuff. I just can't get over the incredible light weight of the xlite when it's warm enough to use it. If you want just one pad a profiled fit xtherm would be the best compromise of warmth and weight for use in all seasons.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Going on my first elk hunt this September. Couldn't decide between the Neoair Xlite or the synmat ul7 so I ordered both and still cant decide. Upon receiving both pads, first impression of the Xlite was like crunching a bag of potato chips! My question to you guys with experience with the Xlite.... Is the saving on weight and dealing with a crunchy pad worth it? I feel like it would be a hassle possibly for a buddy in another tent listening to me crunch around all night. Anyone ever have this problem or am I overthinking this? Thanks

Depends on how much you focus on getting weight down. If you've got a super light tent, you've got more weight to "give" in other areas. For me, the crunchy pad thing isnt' that big of a deal, and I think it's a bit better with the new ones. So the Xlite is worth it for me.

I have a regular and small Xlite, trying to get rid of the small if you're interested.

Good luck with your decision.

I think they main issue here is are you a side sleeper or a back sleeper and how firm do you like your mat? If you like firm and/or are primarily a back sleeper I'd look at the thermorest. If a side sleeper or like a softer mat go with the Exped.