New Backcountry Hunter- 2 Person Shelter

Myself and a buddy are planning to do a backcountry elk hunt this year. We are both fairly large human beings (6'4-240 and 6'1-200 with athletic builds). With this being my first backcountry experience and my buddies first western hunt period, I'm trying to avoid us being the newbies with a 50lb+ pack and an overly excessive shelter. At the same time, I don't want us making our wives jealous from us spooning to save a couple ounces.

I've become a big fan of Kifaru and plan to get a lot of my gear from them: pack, shelter, sleeping bag, parka. Below are the shelters I am considering from research.

- Super tarp (it sounds like this would be a tight squeeze for us but there is a good chance my next hunts will be solo or with a buddy who also has his own personal shelter so trying to avoid buying multiple expensive shelters back to back years if possible)

-Mega tarp (I've heard this shelter mentioned numerous times as a good shelter for two guys and gear, I don't see it on the Kifaru site any longer so would I have to find one used? Or can I still order? I'm fine buying used if this would be the best option.)

- Sawtooth (originally I loved this shelter and was my first choice for the ability to stand up, plenty of room for gear, stove, etc. on late season hunts and for cases when I'm hunting with friends with no shelter but if i'm by myself it would seem excessive.)

-Tut (I don't have much experience with this shelter outside of a couple youtube videos and reading a few forums talking about it but sounds like it could be a solid option, again, would this have to be purchased used or can something like this still be ordered from Kifaru?)

Is there any other shelters that people think I need to be checking out? I don't have experience with floorless shelters but they intrigue me so excited to give them a try. I don't expect to be above timberline otherwise I was looking into the Hillebergs. Any insight into shelters would be greatly appreciated!

I went floor-less for the 1st time this past hunting season. 8 person tipi, so 4 with a stove but didn't pack it in as it was just my 13 year old and myself in ID. Keeping him warm and dry was the #1 goal, to make sure he was comfortable and having a good time, he can suffer a bit more later. I went with Seek Outside and have ZERO complaints with their customer service of the quality of the gear. I was considering one of these slightly smaller shelters but with both of us being 6'1" I wanted to be able to stand up, I've spend enough time in a smaller shelter backpacking and mountaineering. After using it and the overall weight of everything including the stove, I kind of wish I got the lighter/smaller tent for actually packing in a camp. But spreading the gear out to 3 or 4 guys will make it worth it. 2 would be tough. Certainly wouldn't be moving camp every day.

Press rewind, based on this new experience, I would give their LBO a serious look........it can be configured with different components, to choose to use more or less all based off the same core system. Makes sense now to me. I would suggest looking there. Good luck

Napperm4

WKR
Second vote for the LBO. I’m 6’ 225 and my brother is 6’4 250 ish.

We fit 2 of us in there easily. Late season we have the most gear + stove and firewood. And it gets a bit tight but still doable.

I have a base tarp vestibule, brother has a base / vestibule. If we go solo we take a base / vestibule. We’ve also used it as a spike camp / base camp set up when we’ve run into animals far from camp. Light enough we’ve even both brought our own camps to sleep apart.

Early season we can cram into the two bases together.

The most use is with the tarp. We haven’t put a stove Jack in one of the bases yet to get that extra late season room, but with / without a stove it’s a great shelter for 2 as base / tarp/ vestibule. You could even take the whole thing solo at 3 ish lbs or 5 with stove for a solo palace. Between 2 one guy takes base/vestibule and stakes, other guy takes tarp and stove for an even load share.

888c243a82df21825dd9466883089131.jpg
742924ca5b22fc808973fc96095a6052.jpg

Another option to look into is the seek outside cimarron. Really popular shelter, similar to the tut, you can stand crouched at the Center. It’s roomy enough for 2 but packable as a solo shelter.

I’d go with the sawtooth. Awesome shelter for two guys.

Attachments

• D14430CD-795A-4DFA-9D3F-C9A18F7820A5.jpeg
    D14430CD-795A-4DFA-9D3F-C9A18F7820A5.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 124

rbljack

WKR
I have a sawtooth and a supertarp. The supertarp is too small for two guys and stove IMO....but was fine for just me on a solo hunt.. The sawtooth was great for me as a solo shelter, but it is a bit overkill. I have plenty of room for a second person in the sawtooth and I purchased the liner to help with condensation. That option is not available on the tut. No experience with the tut here either. Looks fast to set up though. My concern with those shelters is this; with the stove in the middle, id be worried about rolling my bag or pad into it during the night, and damaging it.. There is more to factor in though...and that's footprints. It can be a little harder to find the right spot as the footprints get larger. Depends on terrain of course, but hope that helps.

rbljack

WKR

We fit 2 of us in there easily. Late season we have the most gear + stove and firewood. And it gets a bit tight but still doable.

I have a base tarp vestibule, brother has a base / vestibule. If we go solo we take a base / vestibule. We’ve also used it as a spike camp / base camp set up when we’ve run into animals far from camp. Light enough we’ve even both brought our own camps to sleep apart.

The most use is with the tarp. We haven’t put a stove Jack in one of the bases yet to get that extra late season room, but with / without a stove it’s a great shelter for 2 as base / tarp/ vestibule. You could even take the whole thing solo at 3 ish lbs or 5 with stove for a solo palace. Between 2 one guy takes base/vestibule and stakes, other guy takes tarp and stove for an even load share.

888c243a82df21825dd9466883089131.jpg
742924ca5b22fc808973fc96095a6052.jpg

Another option to look into is the seek outside cimarron. Really popular shelter, similar to the tut, you can stand crouched at the Center. It’s roomy enough for 2 but packable as a solo shelter.

So am I seeing this correctly, the two pictures are showing a Base/tarp/vestibule with stove in the vestibule portion correct? In that configuration, it looks like it would be easy for both hunters to enter and exit easily, and not have to climb over the stove. Its a shelter I have been looking at for its ability to change sizes based on situation. Is there even more room if you go base/tarp/base?

Napperm4

WKR
So am I seeing this correctly, the two pictures are showing a Base/tarp/vestibule with stove in the vestibule portion correct? In that configuration, it looks like it would be easy for both hunters to enter and exit easily, and not have to climb over the stove. Its a shelter I have been looking at for its ability to change sizes based on situation.

That’s exactly correct. With the 2 of us and the stove we lay with our heads in the base end and feet towards the vestibule end with the stove. We get a lot of room that way and an exit on each side so nobody is climbing over the other or the stove.

Firewood stacked behind the stove, packs and gear between us and in the base above our heads. Really you have 2 doors on each side with the connecting tarp so it’s easy to enter / exit.

Floor space isn’t as noticeable with the base tape base but the wall angle and being a pyramid opposed to a tipi side, it makes for a lot larger feel and more usable “higher than 8” off the ground” room.

The only thing I wish was different was a slightly higher roof for kind of standing and putting pants on. Minor inconvenience for the versatility of this thing

bf39cb292d374379f4cd57795f66d767.jpg

Here’s the base only as a windbreak for glassing on an insanely windy day. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

rbljack

WKR
I love the fact that its easy access with the two doors. But I know in either of my floorless shelters, I slip and slide towards the lower slope as I toss and turn at night trying to sleep. I'm guessing I would burn the footwell of my pad or bag unless I put sticks or something in front of the stove to prevent contact. Have yall had any issues with that?

Napperm4

WKR
I love the fact that its easy access with the two doors. But I know in either of my floorless shelters, I slip and slide towards the lower slope as I toss and turn at night trying to sleep. I'm guessing I would burn the footwell of my pad or bag unless I put sticks or something in front of the stove to prevent contact. Have yall had any issues with that?

No issues with that at all. I use a quilt 99% of the time so I’m attached to my pad. I use polycryo under it and my pad hasn’t slipped on that. If that’s what you’re worried about, try the old silicone on your sleeping pad trick.

Otherwise, we have our heads deep into the base where the wall is maybe 10-12” high, that leave a lot of room between the foot box and my stove even with out long / wide bags and pads

Trial153

WKR
Of your choices listed ...sawtooth all the way. I would also add a SO cimarron to the list.
I been recently playing with one next to my sawtooth( thanks @robby denning); ....both are great shelters.. i will be adding some pictures and thoughts about them both to a thread i started here.
In short both will work very well for two with gear when weight is consideration..

bluemtn55

FNG
That’s exactly correct. With the 2 of us and the stove we lay with our heads in the base end and feet towards the vestibule end with the stove. We get a lot of room that way and an exit on each side so nobody is climbing over the other or the stove.

Firewood stacked behind the stove, packs and gear between us and in the base above our heads. Really you have 2 doors on each side with the connecting tarp so it’s easy to enter / exit.

Floor space isn’t as noticeable with the base tape base but the wall angle and being a pyramid opposed to a tipi side, it makes for a lot larger feel and more usable “higher than 8” off the ground” room.

The only thing I wish was different was a slightly higher roof for kind of standing and putting pants on. Minor inconvenience for the versatility of this thing

bf39cb292d374379f4cd57795f66d767.jpg

Here’s the base only as a windbreak for glassing on an insanely windy day. The possibilities are endless.

What chair is that?

BigSky

WKR
- Sawtooth (originally I loved this shelter and was my first choice for the ability to stand up, plenty of room for gear, stove, etc. on late season hunts and for cases when I'm hunting with friends with no shelter but if i'm by myself it would seem excessive.)

I'll be a little contrarian here. You've already got some good advice and I won't counter any of it. However, you MAY wish to reconsider this (quote above). One has to decide if one wants to be a true ounce-counter because it is what so many others are. I for one have, as time goes on, become more focused on my comfort. We all have to decide which areas we wish to sacrifice so that we can indulge in others. I have decided I will sacrifice elsewhere to ensure my camp/sleep comfort. Don't get me wrong, I actually like roughing it, to a point. More often than not, if I'm not hammocking (different topic) I go so far as to pack a 6-man tipi. At times with a stove and at times without; but, that is only expected weather dependent. A 6-man, in the whole scheme of things, isn't that heavy. This applies even more so to the Sawtooth and other similar shelters.

I'm not saying my way or my decision is the right one. I just know it is the right one for me. Your goals seem well thought out and you are clearly considering your options. Take it from a guy who has done this for decades. My decision to suffer the extra weigh for shelter system and sleep system has never been regretted by me. Also remember that just because the cool kids are doing it doesn't mean you must do it also. It's like the light rifle craze. I'm as guilty as the next guy because of the hours, days and weeks I spend climbing up and down mountains. I look back though at the same hunting of my youth. I, at ages 12 through maybe even my early 20s, never even realized my Remington 700s and my Winchester 70s were heavy. The 12 year old me carried those rifles for miles and never gave it a second thought. It wasn't until my mid 20s or early 30s that someone else informed me those were too heavy.

Good luck in whatever you choose. At times I think the accumulation and testing of gear is actually half the fun of this outdoor life we have all chosen. Trial and error will never end in our quest for the gear that is best for each of us.

rayporter

WKR
bigsky for the win. i just avoid the smaller shelters i have now days if it is possible.

standing got real important as i got older.\\

one shelter just dont cover what you will need - get one with a view that you will get another later to compliment it.

BuckHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I are in the same boat, doing backcountry for mule deer. We are doing it as a budget hunt, so not top of the line gear. Below is a thread I am using to put together our shelter. Ordered the tent but has not arrived. I will post a review when I get a chance to spend a night in it.

Edit

Ordered the tent on sunday and it arrived today. Set up was quick and it seems well built. I will get the stove jack in this spring. It will be a tight fit for me and dad at 6' 1" 185 each plus a small stove. So I dont think this shelter would actually work very well for your guys' size.

Last edited:
OP
jppedersen48

Going to take a hard look at this setup, I appreciate the pictures as well as it certainly helps to see the layout!

OP
jppedersen48
I'll be a little contrarian here. You've already got some good advice and I won't counter any of it. However, you MAY wish to reconsider this (quote above). One has to decide if one wants to be a true ounce-counter because it is what so many others are. I for one have, as time goes on, become more focused on my comfort. We all have to decide which areas we wish to sacrifice so that we can indulge in others. I have decided I will sacrifice elsewhere to ensure my camp/sleep comfort. Don't get me wrong, I actually like roughing it, to a point. More often than not, if I'm not hammocking (different topic) I go so far as to pack a 6-man tipi. At times with a stove and at times without; but, that is only expected weather dependent. A 6-man, in the whole scheme of things, isn't that heavy. This applies even more so to the Sawtooth and other similar shelters.

I'm not saying my way or my decision is the right one. I just know it is the right one for me. Your goals seem well thought out and you are clearly considering your options. Take it from a guy who has done this for decades. My decision to suffer the extra weigh for shelter system and sleep system has never been regretted by me. Also remember that just because the cool kids are doing it doesn't mean you must do it also. It's like the light rifle craze. I'm as guilty as the next guy because of the hours, days and weeks I spend climbing up and down mountains. I look back though at the same hunting of my youth. I, at ages 12 through maybe even my early 20s, never even realized my Remington 700s and my Winchester 70s were heavy. The 12 year old me carried those rifles for miles and never gave it a second thought. It wasn't until my mid 20s or early 30s that someone else informed me those were too heavy.

Good luck in whatever you choose. At times I think the accumulation and testing of gear is actually half the fun of this outdoor life we have all chosen. Trial and error will never end in our quest for the gear that is best for each of us.
My gut is telling me to get the sawtooth for this hunt and go with a more UL option in the future if I do happen to plan something solo. The weight difference to me doesn't seem like much but I'm sure those can be a backpack hunters regrettable last words. Also trying to remember there will be two of us to help split the weight up on this trip. Thank you for the insight.