New BGSS CPW Administrative Topics & Staff Recommendations

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yep, take otc archery away… but don’t touch the cash cow otc rifle hunts, which have higher success rates. Give me a break. Another thumb in the eye for Co residents. Extra pronghorn hunts are silly, 1st deer is silly . Late cow moose hunts are stupid

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, take otc archery away… but don’t touch the cash cow otc rifle hunts, which have higher success rates. Give me a break. Another thumb in the eye for Co residents. Extra pronghorn hunts are silly, 1st deer is silly . Late cow moose hunts are stupid
They don’t have OTC cow rifle tags but I agree they give out too many tags.

Extra pronghorn tag is actually really nice IMO it will spread hunters out. Those hunts are so crowded it’s not safe opening day

Even the early season archery deer stuff is being mismanaged. Now there are going to be two separate archery deer seasons in some units?!?!

OTC archery going away while keeping OTC rifle shows you what the real motivations are.

Colorado continues to be the worst state for resident hunters.

As a CO resident myself, I'm now convinced that I have to move. There are now less and less opportunities in the state and to hunt out of state, I'm subject to states that actually treat their residents right and prioritize them with 90/10 allocations.

Overdrive

WKR
The thing that really got my attention was the lack of response to the survey (29%), and only an additional 133 email responses by the public. But people will just whine and cry because it doesn't go their way.

The thing that really got my attention was the lack of response to the survey (29%), and only an additional 133 email responses by the public. But people will just whine and cry because it doesn't go their way.

I mean at some point you have to realize your voice is being ignored. They literally chose the least popular options for the two OTC topics.

Overdrive

WKR
I mean at some point you have to realize your voice is being ignored. They literally chose the least popular options for the two OTC topics.
When the hunters make sure to leave themselves in the minority of course we'll be ignored, in their eyes all they see is the hunters don't care so we'll do it as we see fit. That's how I see it. And those choices are only under consideration and haven't been set for the future.

When the hunters make sure to leave themselves in the minority of course we'll be ignored, in their eyes all they see is the hunters don't care so we'll do it as we see fit. That's how I see it. And those choices are only under consideration and haven't been set for the future.

Yea, I'm sure the non-elected officials appointed by the governor whose husband is staunchly anti-hunter will be sure to listen to hunters and their advocacy groups.

Remember the dumb look on that guy's face when they were releasing wolves? He's the one stacking these committees with people who hate you.

This state is a lost cause, just wait until the mountain lion ban passes thanks to Boulder and Denver.

As a CO resident myself, I'm now convinced that I have to move. There are now less and less opportunities in the state and to hunt out of state, I'm subject to states that actually treat their residents right and prioritize them with 90/10 allocations.
Agreed. I’m working on a 5 year exit strategy right now. Going to move to a place that respects its residents.

I would just want to ask how CPW seems to be the only state agency out west that can’t figure out how to operate on less funds like all the other surrounding states.

ElkTycoon

FNG
Agreed. I’m working on a 5 year exit strategy right now. Going to move to a place that respects its residents.
I don’t disagree. But it’s more than just the hunting that’s gone to shit. I came to Colorado from another state long ago and watched the decline. I’m tired of being pushed out.

I think the content just put out by the CPW on the 2025-2029 season structure is just easing everybody into what’s going to have to happen once wolves take grip in 4-5 years. 2030-2034 season structure will not have any OTC elk. It’s a change that is long overdue even without wolves.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone please explain why they think these changes are negative? I’m not too excited about 1st rifle deer but overall I’m pretty excited about these changes.

Seems like they are making a few adjustments addressing social issues (limiting pressure), biological issues (push rifle tags earlier), and keeping opportunity hunts by keeping OTC rifle

tdhanses

WKR
Can someone please explain why they think these changes are negative? I’m not too excited about 1st rifle deer but overall I’m pretty excited about these changes.

Seems like they are making a few adjustments addressing social issues (limiting pressure), biological issues (push rifle tags earlier), and keeping opportunity hunts by keeping OTC rifle
I think residents want to keep OTC vs draw a tag or go to leftovers to get one. I am shocked they aren’t limiting OTC rifle to match up with deer since the same reasoning could be used for it as their OTC archery reasoning.

Even if everything went draw residents would still be able to get a tag just maybe not exactly where they want it.

fishslap

WKR
1st rifle deer: Not for me but could spread out some pressure from the other seasons for guys who want a deer tag with their elk hunt. Not a great time to hunt mature bucks so likely not a significant impact. For these reasons I’d support it.

2nd pronghorn season: Sounds like a good idea to improve the quality of the pronghorn hunts. The reasons and details in the draft structure make sense and harvest can still be limited through quotas. I support it.

Late cow moose: I support it. More opportunity and it seems like populations can support it.

Early archery deer: No opinion but no reason to oppose it.

Going back to the 2015 season structure: I like the later 4th rifle hunt for my area. I think overall harvest went down in my area due to thanksgiving in the middle, but my success went up. No complaints with going back to the previous structure.

All draw for archery: I can imagine they issue enough tags that people who want to hunt their unit every year still could. I could also see them issuing them by DAU vs GMU, which provides some regional flexibility. No strong opinion here. The one OTC archery unit I’ve been in during the season was beyond ridiculous with the number of hunters.

Rifle OTC: I no longer hunt those seasons but I could go for OTC with caps for non res, or OTC with caps for res with a separate quota for non res, or draw by DAU with generous quotas. Could also improve hunt quality.

Several of these changes could improve point creep without significant impact otherwise.