New BGSS CPW Administrative Topics & Staff Recommendations

Hnthrdr

WKR
1st rifle deer: Not for me but could spread out some pressure from the other seasons for guys who want a deer tag with their elk hunt. Not a great time to hunt mature bucks so likely not a significant impact. For these reasons I’d support it.

2nd pronghorn season: Sounds like a good idea to improve the quality of the pronghorn hunts. The reasons and details in the draft structure make sense and harvest can still be limited through quotas. I support it.

Late cow moose: I support it. More opportunity and it seems like populations can support it.

Early archery deer: No opinion but no reason to oppose it.

Going back to the 2015 season structure: I like the later 4th rifle hunt for my area. I think overall harvest went down in my area due to thanksgiving in the middle, but my success went up. No complaints with going back to the previous structure.

All draw for archery: I can imagine they issue enough tags that people who want to hunt their unit every year still could. I could also see them issuing them by DAU vs GMU, which provides some regional flexibility. No strong opinion here. The one OTC archery unit I’ve been in during the season was beyond ridiculous with the number of hunters.

Rifle OTC: I no longer hunt those seasons but I could go for OTC with caps for non res, or OTC with caps for res with a separate quota for non res, or draw by DAU with generous quotas. Could also improve hunt quality.

Several of these changes could improve point creep without significant impact otherwise.
I could see some positives in what you are saying, I’m totally out on the cow moose tag though I think we need to see what unchecked wolves do to the moose and if anything hope the moose population increases before the wolves really get established.

Is there a public opinion survey attached to this? Not that they’ve ever listened to anything I’ve said but I’ll give them hell.

From this website: https://engagecpw.org/big-game-season-structure

"Please direct all future comments about BGSS or related topics to the Parks and Wildlife Commission to ensure your comments are included in the record and provided to the Commission. You are encouraged to email your comments to the Parks and Wildlife Commission ([email protected](External link)) or sign up to attend a Commission meeting and provide your verbal comments(External link). We are no longer accepting feedback through this page."

ElkTycoon

FNG
Where you going?
That’s the challenge. Colorado is a beautiful state. I certainly understand the frustration, and my wife and I have talked about moving. But why should we be the ones running away?

I at least want to try pushing back and lots of the groups like Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management and Howl are doing great things and making it much easier for us to make our voices heard.

Check this out. Scroll to the bottom and there’s a spot where you just input your name and email and it will write and send an email directly to your representative (based on your address), about the recent commission nominees.

Here’s the Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management website.

Rich M

WKR
The thing that really got my attention was the lack of response to the survey (29%), and only an additional 133 email responses by the public. But people will just whine and cry because it doesn't go their way.

I was involved with a NWR and they pissed off about 400 guys by trying to just change all the rules without any bitch sessions. Folks were calling for their jobs. There was some quick back-pedaling. Anyway, they had a public meeting to address the issue and offer some concessions - and got like 20 folks. For real. 5% showed up.

Some guys sound real mean and nasty, but if they have to leave the comfort of their keyboard, most will not do it.

Same thing with the we hate NR thing and whenever something happens - we need your support and $$$. Pfff. Only the dumb NRs will send money or do anything. Cause once it is over, will be right back to the same-old-same old NR hating.

It is easier just to ignore it, buy yer tag, go hunt, rinse & repeat as much as you want - ignore everything else.

It is hilarious that CPW wants to limit archery but allow uncapped OTC for rifle. anything to keep the lights on, I guess.