New elk hunter with plans changed

clint6760

FNG
This is my first year elk hunting and had planned for all year to go with a group of guys for Colorado OTC archery hunt. I’m a teacher and ended up having to quarantine and miss a lot of school. It looks like I’m going to have to miss out on going with the group I had planned.

I had all the gear and was ready for archery. I spent an untold amount of money, time, and effort into preparing for this and don’t want to give up. I am planning on going solo for second rifle OTC.

I’m wondering if there is anything that I need gear wise or info that would be different.Of course colder weather, more hunters, and no bugles. Thanks for the help

Clarence

WKR
Warmer sleep system, ability to procure water in cold temperatures, warmer puffy jacket, and a tent that can potentially handle some snow comes to mind. And tire chains for your vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
C

clint6760

FNG
Warmer sleep system, ability to procure water in cold temperatures, warmer puffy jacket, and a tent that can potentially handle some snow comes to mind. And tire chains for your vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks. I should have said that I’m gonna truck camp so I can stay mobile.Don’t have tire chains yet andi was planning on using sawyer squeeze

Porterka

FNG
Be careful with the sawyer if temps are freezing and make sure it is dry internally or it doesn’t get cold enough to freeze.

OP
C

clint6760

FNG
Yeah I have a back up befree filter I will take. I’ll also keep the sawyer in a jacket pocket

OP
C

clint6760

FNG
I do have an Inreach mini so I’m good there. My dad who is getting up there in age might tag along and stay at camp by the truck.

gelton

WKR
Thanks. I should have said that I’m gonna truck camp so I can stay mobile.Don’t have tire chains yet andi was planning on using sawyer squeeze
I was going to recommend truck camping...solo archery backpacking is a ton of fun and the weather is (normally) awesome, however, I dont think 2nd rifle solo would be the same experience.

You could potentially have brutal freezing cold or mild mountain temps, and they can change fast, be prepared for both, base camping from the truck will afford you the ability to take a lot of gear for the just in case. Mountain winter is pretty serious business, do your homework on the gear you choose. Fours years ago 3rd season was highs in the 60s, 2 years ago 1st season was lows at 0 and snowing with 10" on the ground

OP
C

clint6760

FNG
Thanks for the tips guys. Kinda bummed about missing out on archery as I have bought a new bow and practice hard all summer. But I don’t want to just miss out on the year so rifle it is.

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't depend on a jetboil. I struggled to get my coffee going this morning on the mountain and its only September. Also it's much colder on the mountain than it is in town so plan accordingly. I didn't

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Have gear for getting unstuck. Winch or come along, tow straps, flat board for jack base, snow shovel. Maybe a battery jumper. It can be sunny and mild, then dump 2 foot of snow, then melt and be a muddy mess.
since you are truck camping, why not take a 5 gal water container?

Have gear for getting unstuck. Winch or come along, tow straps, flat board for jack base, snow shovel. Maybe a battery jumper. It can be sunny and mild, then dump 2 foot of snow, then melt and be a muddy mess.
I agree. No reason to filter water if you are truck camping. Just bring enough in. No harm in carrying the Sawyer for emergencies, but no way I am filtering water in the cold, if hunting from the truck.

OP
C

clint6760

FNG
Ok thanks. Will definitely have water at the truck and use the sawyer as a backup for in the field. Also will take stuff to get unstuck.

What about rain gear. Would I be alright with a rain jacket and gaiters? Will be wearing Sitka timberline pants

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Pants are nice if you are busting through wet brush. Also wear them when field dressing your elk, less blood to wash off your pants.

bcnorth

FNG
what kind of tent will you be sleeping in? will you have a stove in it? get lots of firewood right off the start with kindling and different sizes of wood for hot quick burns and bigger sizes for longer burns. Nice to keep your area warm and dry for when u come back.

A table if you can fit it, even a small table to help organize your gear goes a long way especially in the morning.

Bring light gloves and winter gloves, those morning temps can be numbing on the fingers. Dont forget the neck gaiter and at least 1 pair of wool long johns. If truck camping i always have a shovel and chainsaw. Muck boots/Bogs are awesome if its wet or snow on ground especially if you need to relieve yourself middle of the night or giving your hiking boots a break. Plan to have a system for hanging and drying your wet clothes, i use bungee cords wrapped around the poles above the fireplace to hang gear and dry it. Or a rope across 2 poles and hangers.

Lots of firestarter!! bring at least 2 pieces for each day, dont waste time with cold hands trying to get one going.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Agree, don't get stuck. It's bad enough getting stuck, let alone being stuck solo. 2nd season can get snow, or worse, mud.

jip40

FNG
layering is key, especially when it gets that cold if you're planning on covering a lot of ground

xziang

WKR
Would be prepared to hightail it back to truck if weather turns. Assuming you are spike camping. Late in the year may also want to consider throwing chains in the truck too. Curious how you do with otc rifle thought abaout jt but never loomed to hard into it before. Edit: read other posts look like you have this already answered :)