New for 2022- Sitka Gear redesigned Jetstream Jacket and Vest

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member

Drenalin

WKR
With the previous version, were you able to comfortably layer an insulated jacket under it? Same question with the new version, and did the revised cut make a difference?

Can you describe the noise level on the exterior? I'm assuming louder than a sleeping bag (what I would describe as "swishy") but hoping for much quieter than typical outer fabric on a puffy jacket.

Also, I apologize if these questions are answered in the video - can't watch it at the moment (at work). Thanks!

Lowg08

WKR
Sitka has updated the long lived Jetstream jacket, and I was lucky enough to test it out this spring.

View attachment 429703

You can see it here Zeiss-Christensen Arms-Unknown Munitions in the video I made for that review. I don't talk about the jacket here, but you can see how it fits.

You can also watch me explain a few of the changes here New 2022 Sitka Gear Jetstream Jacket.

View attachment 429702

Here is the new version over the old version.

Redesigned Windproof Sitka Jetstream Jacket and Vest
Thanks. I looked through it. I just handled one at sportsman warehouse. Much softer and quieter than the original. Definitely more bow hunter friendly.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
With the previous version, were you able to comfortably layer an insulated jacket under it? Same question with the new version, and did the revised cut make a difference?

Can you describe the noise level on the exterior? I'm assuming louder than a sleeping bag (what I would describe as "swishy") but hoping for much quieter than typical outer fabric on a puffy jacket.

Also, I apologize if these questions are answered in the video - can't watch it at the moment (at work). Thanks!
I wouldn't try to put a large puffy under it unless you ordered up in size but something like the new active insulation Ambient series would be perfect.
The new material is softer and more quiet than the previous but not completely silent. It's way more quiet than any sleeping bag I own.

Since sounds seems to be a point of contention, I'd look at the Arc'teryx Gamma MX. Very similar jacket but completely silent. I love mine. If you can find a previous season one in "distortion" color it's a very "open-country" type color.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I’m just not sure it fills a need rather than a want lol
I get it, I have a lot of jackets and could probably go the rest of my life without getting another. . This is easily a new favorite but if a softshell isn't something you need....

Just ordered one in olive. 6' 185lb I went with a large and plan on wearing it over an Ambient Hoody on occasion. For anyone looking to save money the last year model is on sale for $199 all over the internet. Not sure it's worth the additional cost for the new features.

Lowg08

WKR
It really is a chicken/egg scenario. In my experience, wants create needs haha
I have a pretty solid set up now. I can think of a place for it but I’m not really sure yet.
I get it, I have a lot of jackets and could probably go the rest of my life without getting another. . This is easily a new favorite but if a softshell isn't something you need....
How well did it pack up

I am usually X Large in most Sitka pieces…. But I am 2XL in the original Jetstream.

Wonder how these will run in size?

Lowg08

WKR
I am usually X Large in most Sitka pieces…. But I am 2XL in the original Jetstream.

I tried an xl today. I could wear it with minimal layers like a base and a active hoody but that would be it. I’d go 2x for my purposes. I’m 6’2” 240 after lunch. If that helps

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member

I am 5'11", 185 and a large fits perfect. I was wearing a Core LW and Core HW hoody under it this spring and it was money. I bet there was room for a Ambient Hoody if needed.

prm

WKR
I’m not up to speed on Sitka layering, but would this work with the following:

Base layer (ex: Aerolite)
Ambient Hoody
New Jetstream
Puffy (ex: Kifaru LPP)

The LPP would only be added in rather cold conditions. Really interested if the Jetstream layered over the Ambient Hoody makes sense. Hike in/up with Ambient, add Jetstream once temps and/or wind exceed Ambient comfort. Think of this as a layering system for Oct/Nov in CO rockies.

Last edited: