New from So Cal! Interested in the basics for Archery

hello there everyone ! I am very new to Archery and would eventually like to take the knowledge I learn here on Rokslide out in the field to go hunting ! any beginner tips would be appreciated! open to all feedback

Rob5589

WKR
I'd say a bow would be the first thing 😁

I would look for a local shop and or archery club for some newbie guidance. The California Bowmen Hunters organization may have something geared toward beginners as well. Good luck!

OP
C
I'd say a bow would be the first thing 😁

I would look for a local shop and or archery club for some newbie guidance. The California Bowmen Hunters organization may have something geared toward beginners as well. Good luck!
oooh sounds Divine ! I appreciate the insightful and hasty reply Rob ! will def give this organization you mentioned a gander !

do you by chance have any info on the available bows out there ? I heard there are composite bows and long bows right ?

or any articles that have peaked your interest on this subject would be of great appreciation

HbDane

WKR
hello there everyone ! I am very new to Archery and would eventually like to take the knowledge I learn here on Rokslide out in the field to go hunting ! any beginner tips would be appreciated! open to all feedback
Welcome from Wildomar, Ca. Where in SoCal are you?

Rob5589

WKR
oooh sounds Divine ! I appreciate the insightful and hasty reply Rob ! will def give this organization you mentioned a gander !

do you by chance have any info on the available bows out there ? I heard there are composite bows and long bows right ?

or any articles that have peaked your interest on this subject would be of great appreciation
Read up on the different bows. Check out some people shooting in person, online videos, etc. Bow choice and selection is a personal thing; feel, looks, challenge, etc. Your best bet is to go shoot a compound, recurve, and longbow to see what grabs you.

OP
C
Welcome from Wildomar, Ca. Where in SoCal are you?
howdy HbDane ! I am located about 30 minutes East of Los Angeles and it appears around an hour and some change from Wildomar !

thank you for the reply ! are there any local clubs or YouTube creators you Feel are worth looking at ?

HbDane

WKR
howdy HbDane ! I am located about 30 minutes East of Los Angeles and it appears around an hour and some change from Wildomar !

thank you for the reply ! are there any local clubs or YouTube creators you Feel are worth looking at ?
There’s a club called California Bowmen Hunters that have chapters everywhere in California. They put on shoots and tournaments and fundraisers etc.

I would find a good reputable shop around you shoot some of their bows, get some lessons and go from there. If you can make the drive to Temecula and check out Willow Creek Archery, probably one of the best shops I’ve been to regarding customer service, inventory, and knowledge. Or if you’re closer to Riverside, Riverside Archery is a good shop.

As far as YouTube goes it’s hard to watch them and not feel like you’re being pushed to buy whatever product they’re sponsored by. But for pure educational purposes I would start with John Dudley for compound bows and Clay Hayes for Traditional bows

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie