New hunter in idaho

This has been an odd November for weather. I've been out with my wife for a late controlled cow hunt. There are elk still at 8k. From what we've been seeing (or not) they are still moving primarily nocturnal. One spot that is a pre-winter staging area isn't holding any animals yet. Generally, 2-300 animals are staged up in this spot. I've been hunting elk for 32 years and every year I realize that I am still a beginner.

No luck.
Saw tons of fresh sign but no life. I think I was up at my glassing point to late. There was so much fresh scat and tracks that I stalked the whole way up the hill and got up to my glass spot after the sun was up. I just didnt want to blow the area by moving too quick.

Reasonable approach. How I’d do it in late archery is get to my vantage point early regardless of sign and not worry about bumping a group or two. If you have a decent late archery spot you should be seeing more deer once you’re at your glassing point then you can determine which bucks are best and in stalkable locations.

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
Reasonable approach. How I’d do it in late archery is get to my vantage point early regardless of sign and not worry about bumping a group or two. If you have a decent late archery spot you should be seeing more deer once you’re at your glassing point then you can determine which bucks are best and in stalkable locations.
I'll for sure keep that in mind in the future!

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's has been an amazing part of living here, I've thrown around 30mi down on these boots this season alone. I've gotten to see so many different types of land, and had to learn to hunt them. I put in the effort for sure this year and am looking forward to taking that knowledge into different areas next season while I find my preferred zones.
But with the end of the season quickly approaching that golden ticket sounds extremely enticing! Hahaha
30mi is only a couple days of hunting in some units. It's a start, though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk