New Hunter Optics

I'm just trying to wrap my head around so much scope for 300 yards. You can see bullet holes with a 6x in the right condition. Are we shooting for money or hunting?

If money. ...it makes sense. If hunting and a 300 yard limit, there's WAAAAAAY more shit to go sideways with a middle of the road turret scope than a set it and forget it scope.

At 300 yards a plex or simple bdc reticle would be enough for a much slower rig than yours.

Just my .02$

I've gone to a straight 6 power (Weaver K6) on my mountain rifle, and I love it. I wish I had switched sooner. Zero'd at 180 yards, the tip of the bottom post is 400 yards and halfway between the crosshair and bottom post is 300. Easy peasy. That scope is so sharp and bright that I swear I can see bullet holes at 300 yards with it. It would take a $400+ variable to keep up with the optics on that fixed 6, plus it's only 10 oz.

Do you ever feel limited by the 6x lower end? I do some still hunting and my scope is always dialed down to 3x for those close running shots..

Very best in rifle scopes is defiantly not Swarovski.... Especially with there tracking... .Supposedly with there latest scope they have fixed it. But there are a lot better options in the high end Rifle Scopes

I'll take your word for it. (y) There is a whole nother world at the top end that most of have no clue about - I'm one of those.

I am happy with a VX-3i and shooting ranges that allow for dead hold, or a slight hold over. Say 400 or less.

I'm considering the vortex viper HS 4-16x44 with BDC reticle. I've used a crossfire scope and wasn't impressed with the turrets. I wish I could afford a razor but that's not happening anytime soon. The viper HS series is right in my price range ($500 or less) and I the one above is well under my price limit.

There is nothing wrong with a Viper. It will function after legal shooting light is over.

I have one of the first line Vipers and it has decent optics.

Go try em out in the store and see how it feels.

Do you ever feel limited by the 6x lower end? I do some still hunting and my scope is always dialed down to 3x for those close running shots..
Not in open country I don't. And that's all I intend to use that rifle for. Sure, there "might" be a case of having a moving elk too close in dark timber. I considered that. But it's so small a chance that the benefits of the ultralight, clear and bright fixed 6x outweigh that slim chance IMO.

For still hunting in dense brush (like where I hunt whitetails) I have a Leupold VX-2 2-7x33 on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Capable out to 300+ when I need it, but having that 2x in thick cover is sure nice.

I grew up with fixed power scopes (4x Simmons mostly) and still find that I forget to change the magnification before I shoot something. If the shot of a lifetime presents itself, I trust that fixed 6 more than I do a variable power. And the image quality of a fixed power is usually much better and brighter than a variable.

@gijosh316 for what you’re saying you want I would probably get a Vortex Viper HS. Online looks like you can get them around $330 in 4-16x44 which is a good choice for western hunting IMO. I prefer the Viper series to the Diamondbacks but some don’t think it’s worth the extra money.

If you have deals with any other companies I would say that Leupold makes some of the best bang for buck “set it and forget it” scopes with very clear glass for the price. They have some great options in the cheap to midrange pricepoints.

I would second this. Good price for a good quality scope that will perform well for what you want to do. This size of scope is more than adequate for any western hunt.

Back