New Idaho Elk Tag Rule

Overall I’m pretty happy about this. Resident population increases and increased controlled hunt participation have significantly affected draw odds in the last 10-15 years. Go look at 2000 draw data if you question this. The change passed today won’t have huge affects but I could see a 5-7% bump in odds in certain areas which is meaningful.

OP
Customweld
Overall I’m pretty happy about this. Resident population increases and increased controlled hunt participation have significantly affected draw odds in the last 10-15 years. Go look at 2000 draw data if you question this. The change passed today won’t have huge affects but I could see a 5-7% bump in odds in certain areas which is meaningful.
I don't have an issue with it either.

Just off the press.

What effects do you predict, Ol' @Customweld ? Interested to hear other's opinions as well. Should be interesting.

The change to OTC elk tags rather than controlled has decreased draw odds I've noticed, especially in the areas that used to be controlled for cows. The bios I've noticed have acknowledged it but basically felt like there's not much they can do where they feel OTC is the best method for managing cows.

jmcd22

WKR
I agree with this decision and only see it effecting draw odds slightly as some will have to make a choice. I don't see the OTC areas changing much since the same few capped areas sell out anyways...it will just open up the opportunity for others to get a tag as some bail for the draw. Maybe that is the point...? Now if we can get deer tags to be managed like elk tags...

OP
Customweld
What effects do you predict, Ol' @Customweld ? Interested to hear other's opinions as well. Should be interesting.

The change to OTC elk tags rather than controlled has decreased draw odds I've noticed, especially in the areas that used to be controlled for cows. The bios I've noticed have acknowledged it but basically felt like there's not much they can do where they feel OTC is the best method for managing cows.
I really don’t think many folks are paying attention to what’s going on with the commission meetings. You will hear about it when guys go to get their tags after they find out that they didn’t draw. Usually, the guys that do pay attention already know the gig and plan accordingly. It won’t affect any of my decisions.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Why have capped tags?? Make them all controlled hunts. IMO after hunting the sawtooth the past couple of years, the F&G has way too many tags in this unit, to begin with. Opening day of rifle was like a local shooting range, I heard well over 50 shots and I was way off of any road or trail.

Last edited:
Why have capped tags?? Make them all controlled hunts. IMO after hunting the sawtooth the past couple of years, the F&G has way too many tags in this unit, to begin with. Opening day of rifle was like a local shooting range, I heard well over 50 shots and I was way off of any road or trail.

Must have been in a popular place. I never see anyone around there. Not many total tags compared to other areas and big remote country.

Going to controlled hunts would end up limiting opportunity more which goes against what the majority of ID hunters want. I like the pick your poison concept now because it will make capped tags easier to obtain. If you go for that Sawtooth tag now, you’d have to really want it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Must have been in a popular place. I never see anyone around there. Not many total tags compared to other areas and big remote country.

Going to controlled hunts would end up limiting opportunity more which goes against what IDFG believes the majority of hunters want. I like the pick your poison concept now because it will make capped tags easier to draw. If you go for that Sawtooth tag now, you’d have to really want it.

Did you shoot one in there last year? Pic?

Yeah, having guys waste time lining up all around Idaho is a great way to sell tags. Make them controlled.

Did you shoot one in there last year? Pic?

Yeah, having guys waste time lining up all around Idaho is a great way to sell tags. Make them controlled.

Did you? Not impressed by that rude tone. Are you doubting I know about the unit? I didn’t hunt it last year. I didn’t pull a trigger myself but got two friends on elk.

My family has for years and I drive through there regularly during the fall to get to a hunting spot (have to drive or hike in from the Sawtooth Zone). Two different buddies have hunted it the last two years in different groups and neither had any trouble escaping people.

Lining up at 5am the guys who want one can still likely get one. Controlled is just random and tends toward point/odds creep.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don't care if I impress you.

Escaping people and killing elk are two totally different things. I can go to lots of places to get away from people and elk.

Yes, I was successful.
8a0f270c19014cdd24057a46b8ae67f5.jpg

I don't care if I impress you.

Escaping people and killing elk are two totally different things. I can go to lots of places to get away from people and elk.

Yes, I was successful.
8a0f270c19014cdd24057a46b8ae67f5.jpg

Congrats on your harvest. Not sure why you had to have all this attitude or challenge my knowledge of the unit. I’ve spent plenty of days in there and guys who have know how to avoid people and get into elk. Good luck getting a tag and on your hunts this fall.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I scratch my head at this ‘solution’....

Maybe the commission is trying something vs nothing as something certainly needs to change. I too support limited entry controlled hunts with no preference points as the way to manage these animals.

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Have hunted the 'Sawtooth Zone' during September archery elk season for close to 40 years. Always had my preferred areas, where I consistently took good animals, year after year. Never...ever...saw other hunters. I know the hunting world has changed. I know there have been some down years, when the herd in that country was less than what it was, especially after wolves were introduced. But when F&G capped that zone with a miniscule handful of tags, it essentially became a controlled hunt. The odds of getting one of those capped tags shifted into the hands of campers who sat at Cabela's all night with hopes of being first in line, or those whose fingers were more nimble than mine at the computer keyboard. I've been locked out of that zone for about 5 years now. I say ' It is what it is'. At least with these new regs, I have a fighting chance. F&G is saying make a choice. I'm sure that the next step for them will be controlled...statewide. I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Wassid82

WKR
I’m opposed to state wide controlled hunts. I see how this new direction will have some positive effects for hunts and some negative ones for others. I personally don’t hunt any of those capped zones so the decision to put in for a draw or lose out on a chance for my honey hole doesn’t really apply to me. Where it does apply to me is that I have always put in for draws with smaller odds knowing that I can always hunt one or two elk zones with OTC if I don‘t draw. Now when I don’t draw I will just expect to see more hunts in the units I unit OTC many of the people that put in for their draws will likey looking for place other than Stanley to hunt.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don't want statewide controlled hunts either. I just want them to either fix the way they sell capped tags or make them controlled. The five day waiting period will do nothing to help IMO.

Seems to me that a big chunk of sportsmen in any state always want the F&G to change something that'll "make the hunting, fishing, trapping, etc better". Usually these changes that these brilliant sportsmen want so damn bad can only be accomplished by limiting opportunity. So now Idaho sportsmen have lost an opportunity. I don't think Idaho has the greatest hunting in the West, but it sure is affordable and accessible. Do we really need to change a system like that......?

sneaky

"DADDY"
May not be an issue this fall as a lot of people's plans and budgets are getting wrecked financially.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk