Sewing Machine Reccomendations

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider
Can any one recommend a HD sewing machine for beginners? I figure anything strong enough for denim should be good enough for any projects I might take on.

I've been looking at the Singer HD6700. Not sure if its overkill/worth the extra 100 bucks over a 4452.

WoodBow

WKR
What i can tell you is do not buy either of the machines you mentioned. There is nothing "heavy duty" about them.

Get on craigslist and marketplace and find an older machine. You can get them for free or very little. If you are unsure about a machine on there, post it here and people will help you out. IMHO you only need forward and reverse. No zig zag or other stitches needed. The capability to do all of that just weakens the machine.

OP
M

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider
What i can tell you is do not buy either of the machines you mentioned. There is nothing "heavy duty" about them.

Get on craigslist and marketplace and find an older machine. You can get them for free or very little. If you are unsure about a machine on there, post it here and people will help you out. IMHO you only need forward and reverse. No zig zag or other stitches needed. The capability to do all of that just weakens the machine.

My buddy has picked up a couple old Singers from the 60s or 70s. He can sew canvas for boat covers with it.

The 110 plug looks like it'll kill you

Bachto

WKR
Not sure what your budget is, but I got a Sailrite Ultra feed. I love it, I have put almost 2 spools of 1200 yards of thread through it now on various projects. The only thing is does struggle and takes some finesse with the super light fabrics like silpoly.

OP
M

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what your budget is, but I got a Sailrite Ultra feed. I love it, I have put almost 2 spools of 1200 yards of thread through it now on various projects. The only thing is does struggle and takes some finesse with the super light fabrics like silpoly.

That's a little out of reach. 200-300, I might get the machine to pay for itself. Anything more, and I'd have to open an Etsy storefront lol

rclouse79

WKR

I am using the machine that was passed down to us from my mother-in-law. That thing is built like a freaking tank. I don't it is common to find things made like that anymore. I enjoy a little "thread injecting" to modify or fix gear in the offseason.

Singer 15-91. Old. All metal. Gear driven. Beast. You can find them on ebay for about the price youll pay for the 6700, and if you scour something like craigslist you can probably find them for cheaper. I have a few modern machines, they just dont compare to the power and build quality the vintage ones have. They are easy to work on, you can find parts pretty easily for them. Also search for Singer 66 and 99k - theyll both zip through denim. The 66 and 99K are belt driven, essentially the same machine with the 99k being the more compact version. They wont have quite the power as the 15-91, but easily enough to do what you need to do,

I think you got good advice in this thread.

One thing I'll add is it's nice to have a machine mounted in a table so that the sewing bed is flush with the rest of the table. That gives you a much larger and useable work space.

Using a portable machine in a little carrying base with a raised bed is kind of annoying to work with since the bed space is so small.

Last edited:

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
I've been using a Singer Heavy Duty 4423 and it's been a good one. It will sew several layers of cordura without any trouble. Has handled all of my DIY projects. Simple to set up and use.

Look for a 50’s kenmore , white or pfaff.
I scored this kenmore and it sews through layers of 1000d cordura.
1954 kenmore 117.552

Attachments

• 38D8D5B3-8881-4EE2-BC38-BD754AB066D3.jpeg
    38D8D5B3-8881-4EE2-BC38-BD754AB066D3.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 31

ROJO23

FNG
I have a singer 4432 and it works for a wide range of materials. I just recently purchased a consew 206, and it is a tough machine.

I have sewn a lot of cordura and ripstop with the 4432 without any issues.

Idaboy

WKR
Not to hijack thread but I had the same question as OP....Anyone know anything about the Emdeko JA21?

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I think you need to think heavily on how often you will be using it. The HD 4452 will get the job done, but not for long. The motor will burn out quickly from the heavier duty projects.

There are other machines for a little more that will last a lifetime.

The next recommendation would be to keep an eye on craigslist for either an older singer with all metal parts. There are places online that you can look up the model number and get an idea of the strength of the machine. Going this route you will want to be some what handy and will likely put more time and effort in replacing parts and getting it running properly than if you just bought either a used industrial or a new semi industrial.

If it were me I would be looking for a used Juki 8700, 1541 or something in that range. You can get a new 8700 for around 1k I think and used maybe half of that? You could look for the Juki 2000QI that machine is beastly for what it is (semi-industrial) BUT with how close in price it is to the 8700 in my opinon I would get the 8700.

Thanks for attending my ted talk.

Mt Al

WKR
I got the 4452 and it's nothing like an industrial sewing machine, more "heavier duty hobby" and doubt it would last a week in a production environment. Spent much of my life in the outdoor industry around industrial machines, but I knew/know I'm only doing the occasional project, wanted it to be portable due to a smaller garage/shop space, wanted a ton of youtube vids vs. specialized knowledge on some older machines, so the 4452 works for me.

Above advice is spot on for used very heavy duty machines if you're going to work it hard. They're out there and will last a lifetime.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also using a 4452 as a step-up from my first machine and it has been good to me. It certainly isn't an industrial machine, but I only make a few projects a month. The portability is convenient. I've been able to do a couple layers of cordura and webbing without much of an issue. I will say, having a zig zag stitch setting is great because you can finish seams without needing a serger. I've been able to sew regular fleece shirts and alpha direct shirts with the zig zag stitch. I think that is a good feature if you have plans to make clothes at some point.

Rampaige

Lil-Rokslider
For me, its not so much the fabric that is the issue. I haven't had any fabrics (waxed canvas, cordura, duck cotton) that a household machine couldn't handle. What sucks is when you're adding webbing and zippers. I found a Rex with Zig Zag stitch. It's similar to a knock-off Sailrite and can use some their after market components. I have to admit though, I'm not thoroughly in love with it yet. I'm gonna be taking it to a sewing machine shop to see if I can get it set up properly. It sews webbing and leather easily, but doesn't like to feed it.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I think you got good advice in this thread.

One thing I'll add is it's nice to have a machine mounted in a table so that the sewing bed is flush with the rest of the table. That gives you a much larger and useable work space.

Using a portable machine in a little carrying base with a raised bed is kind of annoying to work with since the bed space is so small.

22510bd24501240f4b0f0796d4e0408c.jpg

9fcae1042bbbaa137007ebfc9dbbeefd.jpg

Can confirm. Machines mounted flush have been a legitimate game changer for my work flow.