NEW Kifaru Duplex Timberline Series

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I have been following this thread from the beginning, picked up a lot of helpful information along the way, and pretty much came to the decision that next season, I would take the plunge and buy a DT2.

I was hiking around the lake where I have a weekend place, it's 6 miles with a lot of hills, when my Badlands 4500 just kind of folds up on me, 2 miles into the hike, and all of the weight, #40, winds up on my shoulders. I finish the hike with the pack on, even though my wife is telling me to drop it, and come back to pick it up later. So I am unable to fix it, and my wife says," looks like you're ordering the DT2 this year and not next".

So with the wife's ok, I dropped a few dollars on my new pack! I just hope it makes before my Elk trip. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, waiting for morning to come.

Thanks for all the info guys!

make sure you send it back to Badlands for repair

Make sure you send it back to Badlands so they can fix it under their warranty. You paid for it, so use it.

I don't personally know how often Badlands packs fail in some way, but that lifetime warranty doesn't help, as you saw, when you are out in the bush and can't affect a field repair. I think that this is one reason Aron likes to keep a bunch of zip ties with him in his pack, for repairs like this.

Larry

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
It is going back to Badlands for repairs, I will just try to sell it after that. It has already been back for the zipper pulls.

phil

FNG
A lifetime warranty doesn't do much good when you are 2 miles in on a 6 mile hike. I think craitchky has a good plan. phil

Just got my Kifaru T1 in Coyote Brown today... Holy crap this thing is HUGE with the snow collar extended! Very nice pack from what I can tell...

I had to do quite a bit of adjustment for it to actually get comfortable. The slide buckle things that are on the load lifter straps, as well as the shoulder straps were uneven and had to be adjusted correctly to fit me. My 12.5 lb rifle fits in the grab it nicely and with the top compression strap wrapped around scope/forend it rides securely. I'm curious why the velcro on the meat shelf, I thought I'd seen pictures of the metal clips on that attachment similar to what you see on the Grab-It. Works just as good but am I correct in thinking they changed this?

Overall impression is good, wearing it around for the last hour cooking lunch and what not with 30 lbs and it feels really comfortable! Probably my favorite part is the hip belt adjustment straps, as well as the ability to change what portion of the should strap the load lifters connect at! Very genius design for sure... Should get a chance to test it out this weekend!

Mike

swat8888

WKR
I never got a shipment tracking number, was very happy to see a large box on my doorstep today....the foliage looks awesome, darker than it looks online. can't wait to get some weight in it and try it out.

I never got a tracking number either. Called and talked with Angie on monday and she transfered me to Alisha in shipping who emailed me a tracking #...

After playing with the pack some more, I'm extremely impressed... I'm really liking how you can adjust the shoulder strap height to different torso lengths, the load lifter connecting points on both the stays and the shoulder straps, the pull forward waist belt...etc I'll be using it for an over-nighter this weekend, but next weekend I'm debating on letting the GF use it on a trip she is taking with friends while I'll be heading to Vegas... :)

Mike

swat8888

WKR
I hope whatever game you are hunting are attracted to your GFs perfume...I hear some have animal urine anyhow...might be a secret attractant.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I never got a tracking number either. Called and talked with Angie on monday and she transfered me to Alisha in shipping who emailed me a tracking #...

After playing with the pack some more, I'm extremely impressed... I'm really liking how you can adjust the shoulder strap height to different torso lengths, the load lifter connecting points on both the stays and the shoulder straps, the pull forward waist belt...etc I'll be using it for an over-nighter this weekend, but next weekend I'm debating on letting the GF use it on a trip she is taking with friends while I'll be heading to Vegas... :)

Mike

She will likely want one too then. Becca is using my T1 again starting Thursday for a 4 day/3 nighter and when we dial it down to her size she really likes it. Granted its nearly double her KU 5200 pack weight (3 pound vs. 6 pounds with the way we have them setup) but they similar suspension means they feel very similar.

Ha yeah i imagine she will definitely want one... she gets pro deals on Gregory packs so I might have her look into them. She can get 40%+ off and honestly isn't at the level to spend $700 on a pack. Still has a year left of college to pay for...

And yeah animals are definitely attracted to her perfume, I swear she never met a pet that didn't fall in love with her... :)

Mike

swat8888

WKR
Unless she is packing out more than 75ish lbs I don't think the Gregory or other cheaper options would be a bad fit at all. I've learned that I could give a rats arse how light the pack is if it can't haul heavy loads comfortably...and more importantly stabilize those awkward loads on the mountain. I looked hard at some Arcyterx packs until I saw reviews saying don't haul more then 80lbs or so with them. Think I'm gonna like this DT1...chose it over the regular T1 solely because it had the stiffer frame that is supposed to handle the side to side torque of those heavy loads better than the T1...that extra pound or so will still suck to carry around.

I've been using a Gregory Palisades for backpacking scouting trips for awhile and i do indeed like it. Solid pack but again they aren't made for anything over 60-70 lbs. Which I think is all I would ever let her pack anyways... after last weekends trip she wanted me to start researching packs, pads and sleeping bags... got a feeling she's going to turn into a gear hound like myself ;)

Mike

swat8888

WKR
I'm curious what everyone's actual weight is on their new DT1 packs. I'm a little disappointed that my pack is almost 3/4 lbs heavier than advertised....that is excluding the roughly 3 ozs of the small pouch that comes attached w/ the two buckles and instructions. My pack comes in at 7.56lbs, as advertised it is 6.86...24in composite stays, regular lid. I guess I should double check to make sure I didn't accidentally get the aluminum stays tonight.

swat8888

WKR
Just make sure you dig out all the bobby pins, hair ties and nail files out of it before you weigh it...haha

Just make sure you dig out all the bobby pins, hair ties and nail files out of it before you weigh it...haha

Ha! Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.... :)

I had to hammer home the importance of HOW to use the suspension.... it wasn't getting across at first at 9:30 last night, so I ended up writing a detailed text explaining how n why she should tighten each strap, we'll see if it works or not... ;-)