New Kifaru Packs, mainly Kutthroat

Newtopen

FNG
What do you guys think about the 2 new Kifaru pack designs? Is one of the main advantages of the Kutthroat simply the reduced weight since it’s an integral frame? Do you guys see this as a viable option for elk hunting, as I have definitely decided to go Kifaru, but I was about to pull the trigger on a 44 Mag. The only reason I haven’t yet is I was wrestling between that and a Hoodlum which is quite a bit larger. I’m not sure what the new setup would look like trying to haul meat. Thanks

bsnedeker

WKR
Aron seemed pretty clear that the cutthroat is not a hunting pack. It's a backpacking pack not designed for heavy loads. Im sure a guy could make it work but it isn't the direction I would go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aron seemed pretty clear that the cutthroat is not a hunting pack. It's a backpacking pack not designed for heavy loads. Im sure a guy could make it work but it isn't the direction I would go.

He said it wasn’t designed primarily for hunting with a comfortable carry up 80lbs but said it could carry all you would want but indicated not as well as the hunting specific frames. It also does not have a meat shelf that most people want.

My question was he said it was a 26” frame but the way it was set up it didn’t seem to have nearly the lift of the hunting frames. He also said something about a 19” torso and seemed to indicate that longer would be an issue without stating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
He said it wasn’t designed primarily for hunting with a comfortable carry up 80lbs but said it could carry all you would want but indicated not as well as the hunting specific frames. It also does not have a meat shelf that most people want.

My question was he said it was a 26” frame but the way it was set up it didn’t seem to have nearly the lift of the hunting frames. He also said something about a 19” torso and seemed to indicate that longer would be an issue without stating it.

You may just want to give Aron a call.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider

+1
g.png

OP
N

Newtopen

FNG

Thanks guys, that’s what I was thinking but wanted to make sure as this is my first trip out, my sons as well, and I’m just trying to get it “right” the first time...

Btw, is there something posted somewhere else where Aron was discussing these as I didn’t find anything in my search? Thanks again

What I thought I heard on one of Arons videos was the Kutthroat was good to about 80lb. So a great day trip pack for making a first load out, or a weekend scouting pack. I am thinking of selling my SG solo setup as thats what I used that for to give this one a try. Looks pretty sweet to me.

The smaller one might be a good one for my wife. I got her a 14'er last year, but she wasn't sold on it, I think that 22" frame might work great on smaller frames and the bag is a touch bigger than the 14'er too.

bbrown

WKR
Forgive my ignorance but I am not sure what a T3 is?

It was/is only the greatest day pack ever - ha!

He’s referring to the original timberline series packs with the internal frame and the T3 was the smallest at just under 4000ci if I remember correctly. Still running a DT3 these days

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know they aren’t recommending you go over 70lbs on the Kutthroat systems. I think the Kutthroat is going to be damn nice for backpacking and scouting trips. The Minikeg is going to be awesome for Jordan who is 5’4” with a super small torso.

I’m super excited to get my hands on the Kutthroat.. if the corona virus would go away.

It was/is only the greatest day pack ever - ha!

He’s referring to the original timberline series packs with the internal frame and the T3 was the smallest at just under 4000ci if I remember correctly. Still running a DT3 these days

I just looked that pack up on google images and it was one sweet looking pack! Looked like everything I would need for 3-4 days.

How many guys honestly tip 80 lbs on a regular basis with their packs? I usually don't break 70 on a 10 day backpacking trip, and that's with 3 liters of water in a bladder! I think the pack would be just fine for elk hunting. You're gonna need multiple trips to pack out an elk, no matter what. Same thing with a big mule deer if you're solo in the backcountry., or at least that's how I see it.

I'm going to get one primarily for lion hunting in the winter. Saves me some weight on a hunt where I rarely am involved in a harvest, but still has the suspension to pack out a bobcat, lion or 1/2 of one if needed. Mostly waterproof, enough organization to get to things like leads, gloves, and crampons. Just enough straps for snowshoes. And nearly 3lbs lighter than my current setup, it allows me to carry a super minimalist sleep setup if I decide to stay out.
It's going to get used on all of my scouting and deer shed trips as well. I think the weight savings are worth it for everything but a big game hunt where I'm going to potentially be taking out 80-120lbs per load. My full frame packs will be taking a back seat for everything but big game hunts. If you want a dedicated big game backpack hunting pack, it would work but probably isn't ideal.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yeah, but you also have goats lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not when I used the T3. I packed out lots of boned out elk and lots of three nighters with that little guy.

Last edited:

LJ Buck

WKR
It looks like an amazing minimalist style pack, especially for deer and sheep. Sub 4lbs with great capacity and if it can handle to 70-80 then you can haul plenty of boned out meat in it.

Marble

WKR
If this pack was around a few months ago, I may have gotten it for my wife instead of the 44 mag.

Anyone know the cost?