New Mexico Elk Unit 34 Muzzleloader

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted 34 twice on a muzzy tag (2010 and 2014). Finding elk isn't a problem. Finding a bull over 300 is more of a challenge. Lots of big 5's and small 6's. Now, if you want non-typical, that unit has more than I've ever seen. I almost shot a double main beam 5 in 2014, but a much bigger 6X6 walked into the meadow after him, so I shot the 6. Both bulls that I shot were in the 320 area.

As noted above, it is an end of the rut hunt, and you'll hear bugling. Response to bugling or cow calls will be mixed. A few of the big bulls will respond looking for a late cow. Others will be tied up with their harem. The best strategy I had was to bed them, sneak in and get a look at the bull in the morning and then sit the meadow they were feeding in the evening if I thought the bull was worth a better look. They would bugle late into the morning and made easy targets where I was at.

Really fun hunt.

Jeremy
What was the weather like for you during your hunt?

Felix40

WKR
Weather will probably be puffy jacket temps at night and t shirt temps in the afternoon. Around Cloudcroft. Down lower it could be very warm.

Gila

WKR
Weather will probably be puffy jacket temps at night and t shirt temps in the afternoon. Around Cloudcroft. Down lower it could be very warm.
My...aren’t we optimistic. I will be in a wall tent with wood stove, buddy heater. Foul weather gear in layers. Hand and foot warmers. I have a 1/2 ton trailer for the side by to haul camp. Which reminds me I need a new mattress for my bed...er..I mean cot. :alien:

Wapiti1

WKR
What was the weather like for you during your hunt?
It was nice during both trips. 50's-70's up high mid day. Frost in the morning. I didn't need more than a good fleece jacket or puffy vest and fleece. It rained for about 20 minutes one day and that was it for two trips.

Jeremy

My apologies, I need to give you a ring from our PM. I must be getting old.

Wapiti1

WKR
How challenging is the terrain in this Unit? I know the elevation is pretty high around Cloudcroft area and down by High Rolls/Timberon is a little lower. But haven't done just a ton of hiking around the area yet. I'll head out in June and then once again in August for some scouting. Wondering just how steep of country I've got myself into on this one.
Others have commented on the terrain, but I found it fairly gentle for elk country. 36 has some rugged stuff, but I didn't get into anything like that in 34. Some steep, but not bad. Mostly round ridges and nice grass canyon bottoms. Some deadfall in places.

None of the 2500 foot climbs you do in CO. Access is really good, so needing to manage the tough terrain isn't a problem. I don't think I hiked more than a mile or two to get to a spot.

Jeremy

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
It was nice during both trips. 50's-70's up high mid day. Frost in the morning. I didn't need more than a good fleece jacket or puffy vest and fleece. It rained for about 20 minutes one day and that was it for two trips.

Jeremy

My apologies, I need to give you a ring from our PM. I must be getting old.
Glad Im not the only one getting old. Thanks for the information I appreciate it.

Felix40

WKR
My...aren’t we optimistic. I will be in a wall tent with wood stove, buddy heater. Foul weather gear in layers. Hand and foot warmers. I have a 1/2 ton trailer for the side by to haul camp. Which reminds me I need a new mattress for my bed...er..I mean cot. :alien:
Meanwhile at my camp...we will be battling the elements with no stove or hand warmers. And my boy will be running around in his underwear.

The weather is actually pretty glorious the first part of October.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
Last season in mid-October I shot my elk in BDUs and a short sleeve T shirt. The night before it was 21 degrees with a howling wind. I hope it is cooler this season. Several years ago the night before the opener it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. That was in the Cibola North of 36. I was in a back pack tent. We ain’t gonna do that no mo. 🤠

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Last season in mid-October I shot my elk in BDUs and a short sleeve T shirt. The night before it was 21 degrees with a howling wind. I hope it is cooler this season. Several years ago the night before the opener it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. That was in the Cibola North of 36. I was in a back pack tent. We ain’t gonna do that no mo. 🤠
I hate it when the brass monkeys balls freeze. Thanks for the info.

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider
I shot my first elk here. I've only drawn a cow tag but my dad has shot a lot of bulls, mostly in muzzleloader season. I put in for archery but never get drawn. I shot my cow south of cloudcroft going towards sunspot. My dad always has hunted the higher country surrounding cloudcroft rather than the lower areas. For muzzleloader I doubt theyll be very low. Still pretty warm. Lot of big elk in there. Watch the mathews archery video in that unit, they call in like 12 bulls on public.

204guy

WKR
I wouldn't plan on it being a rut type hunt. If the bigger bulls are with the cows great, but there's a good chance they probably won't be. I'd also mentally prepare yourself before the hunt for what you're going to do when you find a mature bull and he's broke to hell, it something to think about.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you find a good one! There will be a couple less top end bulls for you after my son and I get done in there during archery season ;)

Jaeger62

FNG
Good luck to all of us hitting 34. Starting to put my gear list together...... pretty stoked already and it's only May!

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
good luck to all who drew 34. Consider this a SLAM dunk hunt, if you're not too picky & holding out for 340+ bull.

Had archery tag 12 years ago, haven't drawn and applied every year since.
Passed several raghorns, you know those 3x4's, 4x5's during my full season stay.
Best bull called in, spotted at 40 yards was 7x8 but no shot thru brush. Me being solo, that bull held firm before wind swirled and off he went like a freight train. 14 opportunities at good 5x5, 6x6 bulls, until finally a good shot presented with 2 days left in the hunt.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
good luck to all who drew 34. Consider this a SLAM dunk hunt, if you're not too picky & holding out for 340+ bull.

Had archery tag 12 years ago, haven't drawn and applied every year since.
Passed several raghorns, you know those 3x4's, 4x5's during my full season stay.
Best bull called in, spotted at 40 yards was 7x8 but no shot thru brush. Me being solo, that bull held firm before wind swirled and off he went like a freight train. 14 opportunities at good 5x5, 6x6 bulls, until finally a good shot presented with 2 days left in the hunt.

I will be holding out for a 330+ bull, but also fine if I don't shoot one. I'll be there for 3+ weeks and then I have an AZ archery tag after so I will be picky. This will be mostly about getting my son a good bull. He'll probably shoot the first decent 6 point he sees. He held out last year in AZ for a giant and ate his tag. He has no regrets about that, but he's ready to lower the bar on this hunt.

Jaeger62

FNG
Man, y'all have to stop with the "This is a slam dunk" and "This is a no brainer" Unit talk. The more of that I hear, the more pressure I'm feeling not to screw this up lol.

I haven't hunted elk in about 20 years and am super excited to get out there. This will be the first time I'm hunting a bull and seeing as I've never bagged a bull, I don't see myself being uber picky. I would ideally like to find one that's 300" plus. I think a bull over 300" would be a great first bull.

Then again, the more I hear about the potential of this Unit, the more I'm worried about "settling"..... at least the first couple days.

Felix40

WKR
Man, y'all have to stop with the "This is a slam dunk" and "This is a no brainer" Unit talk. The more of that I hear, the more pressure I'm feeling not to screw this up lol.

I haven't hunted elk in about 20 years and am super excited to get out there. This will be the first time I'm hunting a bull and seeing as I've never bagged a bull, I don't see myself being uber picky. I would ideally like to find one that's 300" plus. I think a bull over 300" would be a great first bull.

Then again, the more I hear about the potential of this Unit, the more I'm worried about "settling"..... at least the first couple days.
We have a lot of 280-300" bulls. Its not a unit that produces a bunch of giant bulls. They are around but not super common like some parts of NM.