New Mexico issues with hunters truck break-ins ?

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Last couple years there have been posts regarding NR hunters having there trucks broken into or even stolen.
Seems the posts referred mostly to the Albuquerque & Santa Fe areas. Haven't seen any talk this year, on all the forums.
Has this type of stuff lessened or is it just not being mentioned? I did read a few articles about an increased presence of law enforcement.
Not sure if I believe that or not. When your away in the bush, does it concern you and do carry personal protection, just in case?

DRUSS

WKR
We hunted east of Santa fe last year without any issues. But is always a concern for me just because those people are out there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Moneyball

WKR
I have a friend that lives in Abq. He has had his truck stolen twice. Two different trucks but still, pretty unfortunate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khel

FNG
I have a friend that lives in Abq. He has had his truck stolen twice. Two different trucks but still, pretty unfortunate.

That really sucks :( I think might look into renting something.

codym

WKR
Nothing has improved. If your in the Abq/Santa fe areas lock your vehicles and leave nothing of value inside.

chops24

WKR
Nothing has improved. If your in the Abq/Santa fe areas lock your vehicles and leave nothing of value inside.

yup, Residential areas in NM are shitholes. good advice above.

my mentality in the mountains is "I sure am glad all my valuables are on my back. i dont worry about it though, not much you can do if you are actually out hunting. Ive never been messed with personally but know those who have. it might have to do with the fact that i hunt the south side of the state and not the north.

Lytro

WKR
I used to be stationed in NM and I have a few buddies that have had their vehicles broken into while hunting and fishing. There seems to be more dishonest people in that state than anywhere else I've hunted.

2 years ago I watched two guys shoot a spike mule deer. After spining it from 40 yards, they walked up to it and shot it in the head with a handgun before hiding it inside the tree line and walking off. They had no idea I was 200 yards away glassing from a ridge. I confronted them and asked if they shot a spike when they got back to their vehicle (idiots parked right next to my truck, which made it convenient to get pictures of their vehicle and plate). They said no, but they heard someone shoot. I called NMDGF and the warden said it was a pretty typical occurrence for the area, but he met me out there and we recovered the deer and shell casings. A couple months later I got a call from NMDGF saying they caught the scumbags.

Thanks for the bad publicity OP. Bad people are in every state. It's true Abq has the highest stolen vehicle rate than just about anywhere. At least that's what they say. However I doubt in areas where we hunt, the crime rate is worse than any other state, including PA. I used to work with a guy who turned out to be a pretty bad poacher. Here in NM we are allowed 1 buck per year.

The guy had been in NM for about 8 years. When he got busted, the G&F confiscated 6 bucks out of his freezer, all his guns and knives, and over 50 sets of mule deer antlers from the deer he had poached.

He was charged and convicted of various game laws including several trophy animal violations that yielded a 10k dollar fine per count at the time. While out on bail he left his wife and new born and went back to his home state where I heard he still resides in Altoona PA.

Moral of story? There are bad people in every state so don't judge NM too harshly before looking in the mirror ;)

BigBird69

FNG
New Mexico is one of the poorest states in the US. It also has the second highest per capita car theft in the nation. I wouldn't leave anything you don't want stolen in your truck.

As a matter of fact it’s worse than you can imagine. I wouldn’t go anywhere near the place. I hear it’s practically a war zone. New Iraq would be a better name.

Mitten32

WKR
We hunted New Mexico this year and it was a real issue. I was also warned about this prior to the hunt by others on the forum and biologist in the area we hunted. Three separate groups of hunters we bumped into had their vehicles broken into/things stolen from their campsite. We didn’t have an issue, but it sure seemed more prevalent than other areas we’ve hunted. I think you have to equally as carefully where ever you go though.

The in state hunters we ran into were awesome and even helped us pack a bull out saving us a lot of time and suffering. It’s beautiful country.

Last edited:

SoDaky

WKR
Elk hunted there 4 years without issue.Once had a tent near truck 10 days and once a camper.The other times the truck sat along rds for 10 days.

OP
PAhunter58

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the bad publicity OP. Bad people are in every state. It's true Abq has the highest stolen vehicle rate than just about anywhere. At least that's what they say. However I doubt in areas where we hunt, the crime rate is worse than any other state, including PA. I used to work with a guy who turned out to be a pretty bad poacher. Here in NM we are allowed 1 buck per year.

The guy had been in NM for about 8 years. When he got busted, the G&F confiscated 6 bucks out of his freezer, all his guns and knives, and over 50 sets of mule deer antlers from the deer he had poached.

He was charged and convicted of various game laws including several trophy animal violations that yielded a 10k dollar fine per count at the time. While out on bail he left his wife and new born and went back to his home state where I heard he still resides in Altoona PA.

Moral of story? There are bad people in every state so don't judge NM too harshly before looking in the mirror ;)
Trophyhill, That was not my intent and I do apologize. I agree there are bad apples everywhere. I only asked because there was allot of chatter the last year or two about increased incidents in NM. I've hunted a quite few places out west and after many years, finally was lucky enough to draw a Gila muzzy tag. Sorry braa!

Accepted. Now to get on with it. The bulls weren't really all that fired up in the Gila when I left Tuesday night. Muzzy hunters should be ready for a slaughter ;)

OP
PAhunter58

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Well that's a bit of good news I didn't expect. Kind of expected a post rut type of hunt starting 10/12.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
I would be very careful if you’re anywhere close to the main populations. I just spent a week in ALB and it’s working towards being a 3rd world country.

Like I’m talking armed security guard standing outside at the Macdonald’s drive through window 2 blocks from the airport.

I’m sure all the decent folks have fled so when you get to the outskirts it’s better but I would be very aware of my surroundings.