New mexico winter kill elk legality

My friends and I are currently in new mexico trying for a poor man's sheep. We have located a dead bull elk. In colorado, where we are from, it is legal to pick these up. But I have heard in Utah it is illegal. Could someone fill me in on the details of recovering antler connected to bone?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
My friends and I are currently in new mexico trying for a poor man's sheep. We have located a dead bull elk. In colorado, where we are from, it is legal to pick these up. But I have heard in Utah it is illegal. Could someone fill me in on the details of recovering antler connected to bone?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It is unlawful to possess the head, horns or antlers of any big-game species found in the field without a receipt from NMDGF so contact New Mexico Game and Fish if you find a “deadhead”.

Big Game Rules - New Mexico Department of Game & Fish:
It is unlawful to possess the head, horns or antlers of any big-game species found in the field without a receipt from NMDGF (except for shed antlers).

Call Fish and Game.

MIKEYB

WKR
Call game and fish.

Document everything well! pictures, Gps cords, who you talked too.

I was with My wife on a hunt and we located a down bull. I left her with her uncle after a couple of days for a hunt on another part of the State. A game officer came by camp a day later, they told the officer of the carcass and inquired about a salvage tag. The officer was not interested in hiking the couple of miles to the location to investigate. He stated to take the head and upon return to ABQ go by the G&F office to buy a salvage tag for $20.

My wife followed these instructions, when I was getting out of the wilderness and making it into cell range, see tells me the story of how she received the third degree, was questioned and felt like she did something wrong and might have been prosecuted. they called the officer she made contact with and he did not remember. Took two calls and finally he did. The officer at the ABQ office reluctantly issued a tag and still was not believing it. I was furious! but after a 5 hour drive home I calmed down some and let it go.

So just be cautious till you have that slip! much different rules than say CO.

OP
snider6464
Thanks for all the advice. I was worried that it was going to be a hassle, but it ended up being pretty smooth. I ended up calling the local game and fish officer. He allowed me to pack out the head, then send him a picture of the animal in its original state, and the GPS location. Later that week I meet up with him and gave him a $20 money order for a receipt. I found it very odd coming from Colorado that they base the price of the animal on how big it is. He said most of the time they charge 20-40 or take it to auction if it is too large. He did not ask many questions either, which I found strange because the bull had been dead for only a few days.

54acxt.jpg

oopslala

FNG
I also contacted game and fish just for knowledge on the legality of possessing dead heads in New Mexico and had a similar experience of things that didn't at up to me. It may be true, but I was told they can easily tell by the carcass and the way it looks if it was natural death or poached/shot. Also rubbed me the wrong way when I asked if I should report all dead heads I find but don't want to be investigated and was simply told no. Guess they're only interested if they can make some money off the rack.

nphunter

WKR
I also contacted game and fish just for knowledge on the legality of possessing dead heads in New Mexico and had a similar experience of things that didn't at up to me. It may be true, but I was told they can easily tell by the carcass and the way it looks if it was natural death or poached/shot. Also rubbed me the wrong way when I asked if I should report all dead heads I find but don't want to be investigated and was simply told no. Guess they're only interested if they can make some money off the rack.

Or they have better things to do to investigate every winter kill. If they had to deal with every single dead deer or elk lying in the woods that would be a full time job. I think if its obviously poached we have a duty to report it as sportsman but other wise just leave it lay, deer and elk die every day. I have found dozens of dead heads and have never felt the need to take it home with me, i suppose if i found a giant fresh bull elk or buck it might be different? IMO we should give our game officers a break, they do a good job and if they didn't love our wildlife they wouldn't have pursued that carrier in the first place.

oopslala

FNG
I wasn't trying to bash on the LEO's, they're probably understaffed and over worked. Can't say I've had a bad experience with one yet. The New Mexico system just doesn't make much sense to me I guess.