New O/U Shotgun advice?

TSAMP

WKR
Keep the post going with what you find. I was in a similar position early this summer. I liked the look of the rizzini but couldn't find any to hold. Ended up with the CZ lefty drake as I figured at that price point it could end up as a dedicated rabbit gun if I hated it for upland. This was also my first left handed shotgun purchase. So far I don't regret not spending money on a higher end gun.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Keep the post going with what you find. I was in a similar position early this summer. I liked the look of the rizzini but couldn't find any to hold. Ended up with the CZ lefty drake as I figured at that price point it could end up as a dedicated rabbit gun if I hated it for upland. This was also my first left handed shotgun purchase. So far I don't regret not spending money on a higher end gun.
I'll post updates, it won't happen until after the new year anyway. A big factor is which guns I can find to hold and feel.
I like those CZ's but probably not for this one. I'll have to see what's available though!

WRO

WKR
Haters gonna hate...enjoy the walmart special FAIR

I have an Orvis Edition Beretta, but 100 out of 100 would own a fair over a Benelli. If you look at any of the Over under forums, there's not very many good long term reviews and lots of bad ones.

Dos XX

WKR
Joel Etchen Guns in PA is a great place. They have silver pigeon III fields. I have one 12 ga and it is great

I also have Browning 725 Field in 12 ga. I really do not prefer one over the other or shoot one better. The SPIII is cooler to look at. The 725 came with 14 1/4 lop which what I need. The silver pigeon came with 14 3/4 lop which was too long. I had to order the thinnest butt pad Beretta has to get it where I need it. It shoulders great now.

My favorite shotgun is a Beretta 20 ga Onyx. It weighs 6 lbs and is a dream to shoot. They dont make it anymore, but it is basically a silver pigeon with a black action and nice wood. Same thing on it, came as 14 3/4 lop.

Vandy321

WKR
I have an Orvis Edition Beretta, but 100 out of 100 would own a fair over a Benelli. If you look at any of the Over under forums, there's not very many good long term reviews and lots of bad ones.
I've been on shotgunworld for years...find me a brand/model in the sub $2k price range that someone won't complain about online or that doesn't have reports of failures.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I've NEVER had a malfunction, failure to fire, eject, cycle or anything else in any of the beretta/benelli shotguns I've owned. Not a single one.

Good luck trying to talk down own most well known respected and popular brands of shotguns in the waterfowl world

btw, benelli is owned by Beretta, as is Sako and Steiner. Not exactly brands know for producing junk....can't say the same for FAIR...and no, no where close to "100 out of 100" would own a fair over a benelli. Maybe you'd like to start a poll to prove those claims?

Vandy321

WKR
Hey everyone - I'm looking at getting a new shotgun as a celebratory christmas present to myself. I'd like to get a high end over/under that I'll have for the rest of my life. I'll mostly use it for upland hunting, pheasant/quail and the occasional longer chukar/hun hike. (Maybe VERY little clay shooting, a couple times a year for fun)

I am left handed.. that kind of throws a wrench in it for me. Does it matter much?

At the top of my list right now are the LH Benelli 828u, Browning B525, and the Beretta 694. From the website it appears they all offer a LH option. It seems like the Beretta is more of a clay shooting gun (heavier, longer barrels etc) does that matter much?

I'm going to try to go to a few different places over the holidays and see how many different ones I can pick up, it might be difficult to actually find and pick up all the ones I'd like but we'll see what I can find. I guess my main questions for someone out there who knows more than I do:
1.) Does it matter much if I get a specified LH gun? I don't know much about cast on/off but I know that's a consideration, other than casting, palm swell and the lever? I'd like to avoid getting a custom stock or anything just out of convenience sake.
2.) Any others I should add to my list?
3.) A lot of o/u's are classified as "sporting" or "clay" would these work well in a hunting situation or should I lean toward the guns that are classified as "field" guns? Seems like a sporting/clay gun with 28" barrels might work fine in a hunting situation but I don't know. Might just be a bit heavier.

All input is appreciated!
Thanks
I've owned both a 686 SP1 and the 828U...I'll take the 828 all day everyday. I love that Benelli put the same drop/cast shim system in it that Beretta (same parent company) put in the A400xtreme...fit and finish is nicer in the 828 as well, to be expected for the extra $500 or so price tag.

WRO

WKR
I've been on shotgunworld for years...find me a brand/model in the sub $2k price range that someone won't complain about online or that doesn't have reports of failures.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I've NEVER had a malfunction, failure to fire, eject, cycle or anything else in any of the beretta/benelli shotguns I've owned. Not a single one.

Good luck trying to talk down own most well known respected and popular brands of shotguns in the waterfowl world

btw, benelli is owned by Beretta, as is Sako and Steiner. Not exactly brands know for producing junk....can't say the same for FAIR...and no, no where close to "100 out of 100" would own a fair over a benelli. Maybe you'd like to start a poll to prove those claims?

Everyone makes a turd from time to time, even the best of the best.

I'm glad you like your turd, I'm not a fan and there's a significant group of people that aren't either. And yes I've shot a couple.

An O/U should be a simply build elegant shot gun without an erector set of parts that look like something out of star wars in the action.

I've had an M2 fail, my 391 has had a couple minor issues, a5 had issues. Back when I hunted flying liver alot I've seen most of them come apart in a blind at one time or another. Auto eventually get gummed up at some point.

Vandy321

WKR
Everyone makes a turd from time to time, even the best of the best.

I'm glad you like your turd, I'm not a fan and there's a significant group of people that aren't either. And yes I've shot a couple.

An O/U should be a simply build elegant shot gun without an erector set of parts that look like something out of star wars in the action.

I've had an M2 fail, my 391 has had a couple minor issues, a5 had issues. Back when I hunted flying liver alot I've seen most of them come apart in a blind at one time or another. Auto eventually get gummed up at some point.
You just implied your walmart shotgun was elegant...that's hilarious.

What, no poll? I thought you said 100 our of 100 would choose a FAIR...still waiting on some proof.

WRO

WKR
You just implied your walmart shotgun was elegant...that's hilarious.

What, no poll? I thought you said 100 our of 100 would choose a FAIR...still waiting on some proof.

I was implying that I would 100 out of 100 own a fair over a Benelli O/U.

Never seen a FAIR at Walmart.

Caitlyn Jenner

1639419782884.png

1960's Sophia Loren :)

1639420087480.png

jmez

WKR
Only reason I'd take a Benelli O/U would be to sell it. They should stick to autos.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Reactions: WRO

Vandy321

WKR
Only reason I'd take a Benelli O/U would be to sell it. They should stick to autos.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Owned one...or just another internet expert who read a review once from someone 5 years ago who didn't like it? Gonna guess tha latter, as is most often the case with this most forum posters.

You never buy the first production model of anything, always growing pains, that goes for guns, trucks, boats, bows, packs, etc. Every single negative review of the 828 was from 5-6 years ago when it first came out, traditional old timers who wanted to bitch about the electors because they don't like change. The rest complaining about asthetics...a bunch sissy's who care more about how their shotgun looks in the grip and grin than they do over performance.
I liked my Berettas, I'd take an A400 over an SBE or Ethos, but not a chance you could sell me a SP over a new 828.

Last edited:

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of this depends on what you mean by "high end". Holland and Holland makes the finest shotguns in the world, but i doubt thats what you're looking for.

Under $10k, Merkel and Ceasar make exceptional peices. A little simpler is the Ugartechea.

The guns you mentioned are all great but i do not think the wood grade justifies the cost.

There are a few places in the USA where you can hold a bunch of nice shotguns and see what fits you. But ultimately you need to shoot the shotgun to find out for sure. You could also buy a gun and have a stock builder custom build you a stock that fits perfect.

On the left and right question, its all person dependent. Some left handed shooters swear by LH guns, others shoot just fine with standard shotguns.

Shotguns are all personal preference and feel. ESPECIALLY at the higher end. Go touch a bunch and decide which one gives you that tingly feeling.

Another vote for the Beretta 686 SP, mine is a 12 gauge. I’ve had it for about 3 years. I’ve never had an issue with it and its killed a lot of pheasants and the occasional quail. I saw one at a local gun store recently in 20 gauge. It felt so much lighter in the hand, I really liked that and almost bought it! But I have a nice 20 already so I don’t NEED it. Yet.

Cschlimm

FNG
I would suggest get what feels good I hunt with a Beretta 690 black sporting edition. I have an O/U that I guess I would consider either lefty or righty as there is no cast to it. It was a cheaper O/U that a bought for a brush gun and I rarely carry because I have to bury my cheek into it to be able to hit anything with it. Buy what your gunna hit birds with! Good luck