New pack from Seek Outside - Unaweep Divide

Seek Outside has a new pack coming out - it's made more for backpackers, and it looks like it might also be a good hunting choice even though it's not tailor-made for hunting. I figured I should just start a thread and see what you guys' thoughts were. Here's the thread about it on the Seek Outside forum, and here's the page on the store website.

My thoughts are that this, since it's optimized for the 24 inch frame, is probably the best choice for someone who is primarily a backpacker. The Unaweep with extensions tended to stick into the back of my head when I looked up, so I think the shorter frame is important for any sort of mountaineering.

I have a pretty short torso, so I think the 24 inch frame should work well for just about any load, even though you can put extensions on the frame if you want. It's compatible with a talon although not optimized for it, so I guess could still add a talon for hunting season and create my own sort of load shelf using the method described in this post on the SO forum.

The frame is going to be different. Thicker metal but smaller diameter tubing. More flexible, maybe? And apparently easier to tweak for specific users, which might be important for me - even though I'd be terrified of messing with the frame.

What do you guys think? Any things to consider before choosing this pack over another one of their options?

It's kind of a shame is that it's not going to be available in the coyote brown color, which I really like (my dream would actually be green, but honestly color is not super important to me). The X33 multicam will be a good choice, too, even though I'm not much for camo - especially for a backpacking backpack. I will also miss having a side-zip, but I can learn to live more simply with just the roll-top access.

Last edited:

DaveC

WKR
I think it's going to be a great pack for a lot of people, but I'm biased because handful of my ideas/feedback were integrated into the pack. I'd steer most people towards the Divide. The standard Unaweep is probably a little more versatile if you carry odd crap like skis or a snowboard often (due to the talon), or if you need a really big pack.

I have a 21" torso and I find the 24" frame height more than adequate up to around 50 pounds. Backpacking with the lower frame height, and hauling in camp and hunting with it, then slapping 2" extenders on for the packout, makes a ton of sense. The lower frame snags less on brush, etc.

The original frame is bomber, probably to the point of overkill. The lower corners of mine look like they've been attacked with bench grinder from being hauled through slot canyons. I presume it's a total PITA to bend without some kind of jig, hence the newer frame. I've been using a smaller diameter frame since late last year, and it seems more than adequate for just about anything.

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
What is main difference between the divide and unaweep frame?

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
westernsloper, yes, the smaller diameter the metal tube, the more flexible. Aluminum doesn't handle flexing as good as steel or ti do, so I'd be careful with modifying the frame. But I think that's part of why they switched tubing size.

As far as I can tell from reading their stuff, the Divide is set to be the ultra-ultra-light, no frills whatsoever version of the already ultra-light, no frills version of Paradox's pretty light and no nonsense pack. It uses the smaller-diameter frame, and the pack bag is in between the Unaweep's two sizes. It has a big, two-compartment integral mesh pocket where the talon would strap on, and doesn't need a talon to compress properly (though as has been said you can run a talon on it with some simple modification). All this brings the pack's weight under 3 pounds.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on an Unaweep, possibly the one listed in the classifieds here. Now I'm waiting anxiously for them to put a price on the Divide and start estimating delivery dates. As it's rated for up to 100 pounds, it should meet my hunting needs just fine.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It will be ready soon. We are doing a MultiCam version now to get an official weight on Multi Cam. I hope to have it priced and for sale next week.

Yes the smaller diameter framing is stiff, but still strong enough for most uses. Like Dave, I have been using it for several months, and while not easy to bend it is easier to tweak if a user wants a little more or little less. I used the frame on a 7+ mile 90 + lb pack out, and never wanted for extra support.

It does not need a talon, instead that is replaced by a stretchy pocket for the most part. You can pretty easily adapt a floating compression system / Talon though by unthreading and adding the appropriate buckles. It is capable of using a lid as well. It has some loops built in for adding extra cordage / stretchy cordage etc to hold stuff as well. While saying it is lighter is correct, I would not really say it is even more stripped down. Functionally, it has most of the same functions included in one manner or another. Personally, I think it is a great summer time backpacking or scouting pack, but I would not hesitate to use it for hunting as well especially if I was planning on being more of a meat in the bag guy than hauling Elk quarters. For something like early fall high country Mule Deer, it may even be my preferred option.

Take-a-knee

Banned
I can't wait to see this thing. I'd not thought of the possibility of tweaking/bending that frame. Maybe I could get that frame so it doesn't ride on top of my glutes like the prototype I used.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We should have the details up on this tomorrow and it should be order able. Easily sub 3 lbs in a waterproof X33 Cordura faced Multicam fabric. I think you guys will like it a lot for most uses.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have any idea on delivery time, Kevin? And will it be possible to put a deposit on one if it is a long wait time, to make of getting in on the introductory offer you've mentioned? I'm stoked to get one. It seems like it should be the perfect pack for me. Glad I did buy a different bag earlier this year.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Probably 4 to 6 week ... We try to exceed expectations but I would say late May early June
You will have a few days of intro pricing ... Probably until early next week

I know I'm biased , but I think it is awesome , and given the adaptability It would do what I need well most of the year

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
6e99537aa4166e87ed527ab94545562d.jpg

KHNC

WKR
Thanks Kevin, Pack looks great! I`m digging the new size!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here you go
[video=youtube;7hph6gM5qmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hph6gM5qmY[/video]

It is order able the details are here http://store.seekoutside.com/divide-4200-multicam-x33/

Free shipping until Monday , that is the introductory offer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

2 lbs 13 ounces not including optional strapping which is 2.6 ounces

No rain cover needed

The video covers a few of the minor changes

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Very cool Kevin!!! Seems like a far supupeior especially for summer backpacking and such than say an Osprey Aether 70 that is the same cubic inches but a full 2 pounds or 70% heavier than the Divide and I would be willing to bet with the stiffer frame of the Divide it would carry a 100 pound load much better than the Aether. Which is saying a lot as I really like the Opsrey Aether line as a OTC style pack and this basically seems to blow it out of the water for only $60 more. Impressive indeed!!

balto68

FNG
Interested to hear how people like the new hipbelt. Wonder how comfort will be compared to the mesh model - is there much of a difference, especially when not wearing many layers?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Panel pocket when loaded is 12 inches top to bottom, and more than 16 diagonal

Hipbelt, I think it will be well received personally, and we have had a few people use it. It is fundamentally the same belt without mesh, and a couple other minor differences (Pals webbing is 3/4 inch vs 1 and more functional IMO). I've been alternating between the belts myself and have not noticed any distinct comfort differences. I do prefer that it does not pick up snow in the winter or it brushes off easier , and it saves a bit over an ounce.

The frame, I've used since late last summer. I hauled 3 animals out with it. I know Dave C has put some miles on it as well. My opinion, it is more than enough for anything I want to carry and is a bit easier for a user to fine tune

There are a couple minor changes to the harness as well , but once again we feel they are improvements. There is longer webbing to facilitate the wider range of torso adjustment. We are including a few daisy chains on the harness as well (usability). It is one size fits all with a change to the attachment point based on user size. It is the same cut, foam , 500D Cordura, with mesh as our long harness.

Likewise, I think the Divide bag personally is a better transition bag. It is easier to use and lighter stripped down when you don't need huge volume, but you can still attach a talon or lid, and be volume wise very close to a 4800 / with talon and lid.

We feel the changes are very minor and result in improved performance, usability, and comfort for the majority of people.

Last edited:

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
Today was Gearmas! Got my Divide 4200, LBO and some clothes and things.
Gearmas.jpg

Got the pack roughly adjusted and put 50 pounds of dog food in it, plus the LBO and a bivy. Brought the total weight to about 55 pounds.
Backpack%201.jpg
Backpack%202.jpg

Took it for a 20 minute walk in the hills around my house. It feels good, initially. The belt doesn't seem to want to slip. The way the suspension floats off the pack is really different and a little weird when setting it up.
Back%20pack.jpg

I'd love to have someone who's an expert fit it with me, but I think I'm close. The overall quality of the build is great. Nice stitching.
front%20pack.jpg

Love the X33. The stretchy pockets don't seem like they want to hold much when the pack is really full. We'll see how it goes when I put a more normal camping load in. I plan to do a short overnighter with the family for Father's Day. It will be good to get a couple hours in the pack.