New Powder scale

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all
I’ve been hand loading for about a year now. I love it. I’ve started w the hornady LnL kit. It’s been great starter set up. But in my opinion the powder scale is the weak link.
Before I go chasing better accuracy other ways, I feel like I should upgrade scales.

What’s a good reasonable priced ($50 ish) scale?

I don't think one that cheap exists …. I've been using an RCBS 10/10, out of production now and I don't think the replacements are worth a darn - Call Scott Parker @ 661-364-1199 and leave a message - He's usually not fast but he will call you back - he is known as the "scale whisperer" ...

tdot

WKR
I use this one, have for the last two years. I always calibrate it before a loading session just to keep things in check.

It measures to the hundredth of a grain, which is nice because you can see it creep up.

Not name brand but accurate and repeatable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012TDNAM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Just out of curiosity, have you been able to compare the results from this scale, to a higher end model? Or something that's known to be highly accurate?

I'm looking for something like this for a portable setup to take to the range. Unfortunately every inexpensive, light scale I've tried has proven to suck. I'll have go give this one a shot though, thanks for the tip.

I agree with a couple post above, an RCBS chargemaster or even the chargemaster lite are nice. But I still find myself using my RCBS 10/10 beam scale more than anything else. You can find used ones now and then online

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
Just out of curiosity, have you been able to compare the results from this scale, to a higher end model? Or something that's known to be highly accurate?

I'm looking for something like this for a portable setup to take to the range. Unfortunately every inexpensive, light scale I've tried has proven to suck. I'll have go give this one a shot though, thanks for the tip.

It comes with two 10gram(I think) check weights. Super easy to calibrate using them also. I do not have a high priced scale to compare to, but I think it would pointless in a way.

When working up a load you're only looking for repeatability. It honestly would not matter to me if the scale was of .5 grain because all I am wanting to do is consistently throw the same charge once I find what my gun likes. It would be different if the scale was off a lot, like 2 or 3 grains, but I am next to positive it is not. I have worked up many loads in many guns from small 9mm cases up to big 375jdj cases, and had velocities match real close to what published data gives. So in the case of like the 9mm, when your only working with 5-6 grains, it must be real close or else I would be having some issues.

The only time I can think that it would matter if a scale was not as accurate as a scientific scale, is if you had two different loading rooms/stations, and you worked up a load on one scale, then wanted to weigh the same load amount on another scale. If they both did not weigh the same then you would have an issue. I only use one scale, so I do not have this issue, but it could easily be worked around by simply weighing the load you want on both scales and writing that down in your book.

Long story short.... :) .......I have complete confidence in the scale and have used it long enough that I would recommend it as reliable. The only complaint I have with it is that it will shut down rather quickly when not in use. That's only an issue when I am not on a roll making up rounds.

I agree with a couple post above, an RCBS chargemaster or even the chargemaster lite are nice. But I still find myself using my RCBS 10/10 beam scale more than anything else. You can find used ones now and then online
usually at least a couple on ebay - Parker told me a Lyman was the best of the best, cannot recall the model though

It comes with two 10gram(I think) check weights. Super easy to calibrate using them also. I do not have a high priced scale to compare to, but I think it would pointless in a way.

When working up a load you're only looking for repeatability. It honestly would not matter to me if the scale was of .5 grain because all I am wanting to do is consistently throw the same charge once I find what my gun likes. It would be different if the scale was off a lot, like 2 or 3 grains, but I am next to positive it is not. I have worked up many loads in many guns from small 9mm cases up to big 375jdj cases, and had velocities match real close to what published data gives. So in the case of like the 9mm, when your only working with 5-6 grains, it must be real close or else I would be having some issues.

The only time I can think that it would matter if a scale was not as accurate as a scientific scale, is if you had two different loading rooms/stations, and you worked up a load on one scale, then wanted to weigh the same load amount on another scale. If they both did not weigh the same then you would have an issue. I only use one scale, so I do not have this issue, but it could easily be worked around by simply weighing the load you want on both scales and writing that down in your book.

Long story short.... :) .......I have complete confidence in the scale and have used it long enough that I would recommend it as reliable. The only complaint I have with it is that it will shut down rather quickly when not in use. That's only an issue when I am not on a roll making up rounds.
so it isn't affected by fluorescent lighting like ALOT of the others are ?

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
so it isn't affected by fluorescent lighting like ALOT of the others are ?

I have a fluorescent shop light hanging over my bench, can't say I have noticed anything.

Guess I am out of the loop on what the fluorescent lighting issues are. What happens with the others?

tdot

WKR
I believe it's the transformers in the fluorescent lights that cause electrical disturbances.

You pretty much nailed why I was concerned with accuracy. I have a reloading room and I need it to match that scale.

But great point about maintaining consistency between two units. Not sure how it would work while building a ladder test. But still worth looking into.

Thanks!

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I just did some quick searching.

One thing I noticed off the bat is they talk about the scale being on the same circuit. The scale I use is battery powered, so that takes care of that issue. Maybe it takes care of all the other issues because of that also.

In case someone is curious, it lasts a while on batteries. I change them out every now and then just in case.

I will say that sometimes I have turned it on, and then went to start loading and the zero has drifted up a few hundredths of a grain. I will then do a quick calibration and go on. But, most of the time(unless I forget) I just go ahead and calibrate it from the getgo before going on.

I also will use one of the check weights every now and then if the session is a long one. I wrote down what they weighed in grains so I can throw it on there and then go on.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I believe it's the transformers in the fluorescent lights that cause electrical disturbances.

You pretty much nailed why I was concerned with accuracy. I have a reloading room and I need it to match that scale.

But great point about maintaining consistency between two units. Not sure how it would work while building a ladder test. But still worth looking into.

Thanks!

Yea, that would be tuff I think, even using two of the same units in different locations your likely to get different readings with the same charge.

All the scales I have ever looked at have a % accuracy rating. I cannot seem to find the accuracy of this one, but I am sure it's right there with the others. Most of the "reloading powder" marketed scales weigh +-.1gr. I feel like I get within that each time. It's nice because you actually get a .01gr resolution, so you can watch a charge come up from 41.23gr(for example) and keep adding till it hits 41.30 or so grain. In other words, it doesn't just change from 41.2 right to 41.3.

To be honest, I was just trying it out for myself back then. I was skeptical. I looked back at my order and realized that I only paid $15 for it. It might be harder to try out now that its almost $30.

I have a fluorescent shop light hanging over my bench, can't say I have noticed anything.

Guess I am out of the loop on what the fluorescent lighting issues are. What happens with the others?
"maybe" it was just a matter of brand with the lighting but early into the digital scale trend I tried 2 (I'd have to dig into my reload logs to find the brands) thay went erratic when I turned on the lights - LED's are all that now so it's prob a mute point anyway - depending on what powder I'm dropping I go with the Dillon and weigh every 10 or 20th and keep the powder hopper full - "hunting rounds", although I can't give a "count per hour or minute", like many I do it fast enough for my needs and requirements with a beam scale and am quite satisfied without stepping up to another "next big thing" … it worked last decade, last year and yesterday just fine - IF a person is just starting then I guess sorting through what's GREAT and what a person "hates" personally is all well and good too ….

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
"maybe" it was just a matter of brand with the lighting but early into the digital scale trend I tried 2 (I'd have to dig into my reload logs to find the brands) thay went erratic when I turned on the lights - LED's are all that now so it's prob a mute point anyway - depending on what powder I'm dropping I go with the Dillon and weigh every 10 or 20th and keep the powder hopper full - "hunting rounds", although I can't give a "count per hour or minute", like many I do it fast enough for my needs and requirements with a beam scale and am quite satisfied without stepping up to another "next big thing" … it worked last decade, last year and yesterday just fine - IF a person is just starting then I guess sorting through what's GREAT and what a person "hates" personally is all well and good too ….

I had a hard time getting used to a beam scale myself. Maybe if I bought a really expensive one it would be better. I just had a hard time knowing when it was exactly in the same spot each time. It made me wonder, if a half a grain of powder only moved it a little each way, then why spend the time with the beam scale and just use an electronic one that can get me within less than half a grain.

I use a powder thrower for just plinking ammo, but for any hunting and precision work, I weigh each charge. Just easier for me to read the digital readout of an electronic scale than to make sure I am looking at a beam scale the same way each time.

All this talk about loading makes me want to go load some ammo up tonight. I've stayed away from it for a while now because it's been so hot, but its cooling off here so maybe its time. :)

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Beam scales suck. Save up some money and buy a RCBS ChargeMaster dispenser/scale combo. Best money I've ever spent on reloading.
I can’t agree more. The Chargemaster was well worth the price

I had a hard time getting used to a beam scale myself. Maybe if I bought a really expensive one it would be better. I just had a hard time knowing when it was exactly in the same spot each time. It made me wonder, if a half a grain of powder only moved it a little each way, then why spend the time with the beam scale and just use an electronic one that can get me within less than half a grain.

I use a powder thrower for just plinking ammo, but for any hunting and precision work, I weigh each charge. Just easier for me to read the digital readout of an electronic scale than to make sure I am looking at a beam scale the same way each time.

All this talk about loading makes me want to go load some ammo up tonight. I've stayed away from it for a while now because it's been so hot, but its cooling off here so maybe its time. :)
It's ALWAYS time for that ! There isn't an abundance of high end beam scales out there that I've located - Scott Parker will elicit responses from all over the place so I trusted that being that well known said something, I don't think I'm incorrect in that - That being said, there are more than ONE way to "skin a cat" so far be it from me to say you or anyone else is doing it wrong, at least with weighing powder charges

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up an old RCBS 10-10 at my LGS, which I really like. So long as it is level, it is very repeatable, according to my check weights.

I also have this digital scale from Amazon.

WAOAW scale on Amazon

It is inexpensive but very reliable. Much better than the $30 Hornady scale. I use it to confirm my powder thrower, or when I only need to measure a few charges. Or case weights, bullet weights, case capacity.....

TisiKisit

FNG
Kitchen scales are an essential and valuable thing in the kitchen of every homemaker or owner. For example, I am a pastry chef, but I did not have the necessary equipment when I started training in quarantine, and I mismeasured everything. Many desserts didn't work out for me, but I continued my training anyway. My husband decided to please me and buy a kitchen scale, but he did not know which would be more convenient for me, so we chose two models https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Beautiful-Measurement-Stainless-Batteries/dp/B08SW6F5SZ and https://www.vont.com/product/digital-kitchen-scale/, and both models are very cool. We ordered both models, and I was delighted. My desserts please my husband every day.

Last edited: