New Rain Gear Help

Titan_Bow

WKR
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a good quality rain gear setup. My Kryptek Koldo has finally had enough and the seams are no longer waterproof. I've had that set for a long time though, I think it was within the first couple years they came out, so it definitely has seen its use and done what its supposed to (until now).
So, my self imposed budget here is going to be in the neighborhood of 600 bucks. I'm seriously looking at this new Chugach from Kuiu, the Dewpoint from Sitka. I am also considering the Arcteryx Beta LT and Outdoor Research Foray.
I am going to be doing a Kodiak hunt in the next 3-5 years, and would like whatever I buy now, be something I could use then. Otherwise, I live in Colorado, hunting here, WY, MT, and NE mainly, so I am not in PNW type environments very often, so lightweight, packability, but absolute waterproofness is what I am really concerned about.

Thanks

I have a Arcteryx Beta AR, which is easily the best shell I've ever had, and KUIU Chugach bottoms that I'm also very happy with. I live is CO, but a lot of my hunts are backcountry up in AK - so that influences my choice quite a bit. I like both of these pieces because not only the high quality (especially the Beta AR) - but that they are simple...very few extra pockets zippers etc. that water will eventually penetrate through if you are wet for an extended period. And if these pieces get wet, they dry out in a hot tipi very easily. I have some Sitka pieces (cloudburst I think) that I like but don't trust for places where I may be in extended above freezing wet conditions. The Sitka has many more pockets, zippers, the hood can zip into the collar, etc. - that can all be nice features, but also make it easier to get wet and take longer to dry out.

So to meet your WY, MT NE needs - I think you will be happy with almost anything. Usually you are dealing with a thunderstorm, or a rainy day, or snow - not the potential sopping wet drizzle and rain for days on end. FWIW, I'm more willing to go higher end on the jacket than the bottoms, because in AK I'm often wearing the bottoms every day (because even if its not raining the grass/alders are wet) through the brush, and they are just plain going to get torn up and worn out faster than the jacket). Once they become more than 25% gorilla tape, its time to replace!

Good luck - lots of great rainwear out there to meet a lot of different needs.

I have the previous version of the Chugach. Has done well for me (only used in AK for Dall sheep and grizzly).

Going on a mountain goat hunt in Kodiak in October. Asked the outfitter what rain gear he recommended. He said the Chugach.

Venom One

WKR
I'm in the market for a new rain jacket also so I'm following. Hoping to get some reviews of the new Kuiu Chugach TR. I tried the Kryptek Takur, but sadly returned it due to sleeve issues. The Forloh AllClima 3L has caught my interest as it's supposed to be very good and is USA made. I need to check out the Arcteryx and OR Forey as they seem to get a lot of positive reviews.

If you haven't tried gaiters, definitely recommend them to save your pant legs and prolong the life of your expensive rain gear.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Thanks for the feedback, I actually just pulled the trigger on Kuiu's website, had a 15% off code in the mail today, must have been a sign from god :p I ended up going Chugach TR jacket, and realized they still had Chugach NX pants in the outlet, so out the door was $480, which is way less than I was expecting to pay! I'll update this thread when I receive them

If you haven't tried gaiters, definitely recommend them to save your pant legs and prolong the life of your expensive rain gear.
FWIW, I use gaiters all the time, but I always have my shell pants going over my gaiters - I find it has more of a "shingle" effect that way in keeping moisture out of your boots. Otherwise you are routing water running down your rain pants and under the gaiters. So I'd guess I'd say gaiters save wear and tear on my hunting pants (which the gaiters cover) but not my rain pants.

OP - I bet you'll be very happy with your Chugach's. I like my older style ones.

I have the Sitka Cloudburst Jacket and pants. I used them last year on my Chama Elk hunt when the weather turned from a drizzle, to hard rain, then hail, and finally snow. I stayed warm and dry and would recommend the system to anyone.

Last edited:

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I have both chugach nx and yukon. FWIW I prefer the yukon pants. They are just better suited to all day wear. And i dont like rain pants without a front pocket for storage of my release, etc.

jd1006

WKR
My next purchase will be an Arcteryx LEAF Alpha LT jacket. I have the pants already.