New Sitka Kelvin Aerolite Jacket

Foreman05

FNG
Hey all, after doing my weekly run through Sitka's site to see if there is anything I "have" to have I noticed they had a new puffy style jacket, the aerolite. Looks like it replaced the Kelvin lite hoody which is annoying being I just bought one.

Seems comparable to the kelvin lite hoody, thoughts?

I got the impression the kelvin became their permanent down jacket, and this new one would be it's synthetic counterpart, just because the kelvin also used to be offered in synthetic before the most recent iteration.

sneaky

"DADDY"
From looking at the new Aerolite it appears to be a lighter weight synthetic. Not sold on it being warmer than the Kelvin Lite, just an easier piece to layer and more packable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Would this new jacket make it as a standalone puffy for CO archery elk for the more warm blooded among us? I'm thinking with a fleece midlayer and a rain jacket for the wind I could make this work pretty deep into the season here in Iowa but I have no mountain experience.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

the benefit of it being synthetic is they say the insulating power is maintained even when wet, vs down which doesn't maintain that insulating power when wet.

Different clothes for different environments/uses.

They say it's half the weight and twice as warm in this video who knows really. Curious to hear reviews.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wheels

WKR
I looked at the Kelvin Lite and Aerolite side by side in the store and besides the different name on the tag I didn’t see any difference. Oh wait, besides the $20 increase in price.

OP
F

Foreman05

FNG
I looked at the Kelvin Lite and Aerolite side by side in the store and besides the different name on the tag I didn’t see any difference. Oh wait, besides the $20 increase in price.

Looking at the specs they seemed really similar, the new aerolite was 0.9 oz lighter I believe.

I wish the sitka website people would get better with descriptions, it has always annoyed me when some pieces have a ton of info and some have hardly any. Would it be hard to try and standardize it? If you described one piece using X amount of primaloft why can't you say that for all?

Well sound like I don't need the upgrade...yet

I just saw them in the store. Seemed very similar. But I would say order one size up. I normally wear and Xl. Their XL fit my like baby gap and was super tight on the arms. The XXL fit good but still pretty tight on the arms, especially if your going to be layering.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Was brought up in the other forum. But are they changing the Kelvin Lite Down jacket? It's not even listed on their website

sneaky

"DADDY"
I tried on one of these today. Back to back with a Kelvin Lite hoodie. They fit exactly the same on me. The Aerolite will definitely be easier to layer under a shell than the Lite hoodie. Far less bulk. Sleeves are definitely not bulky and you could shoot a bow in it easily.

I tried on one of these today. Back to back with a Kelvin Lite hoodie. They fit exactly the same on me. The Aerolite will definitely be easier to layer under a shell than the Lite hoodie. Far less bulk. Sleeves are definitely not bulky and you could shoot a bow in it easily.

Problem I have with the Kelvin Lite is that the forearms fit too almost too tight. Same goes for the forearms in the Aerolite Jacket?

I just got the Aerolite Vest in, and it is less bulky than the KL Vest and I feel like it has a touch more room. Not much, just a touch. Not nearly enough to change whatever size you wore in the KL Vest.

Last edited:
I ordered the vest, I am curious if it will replace my kelvin light vest and if I will want to use it under a kelvin light hoodie or under a kelvin active jacket. I am thinking with the active during elk season, it will be a pretty good combo and later season under the kelvin light hoodie. My arms tend to not get cold so maybe I'll layer up both vests.

I would be curious to hear impressions from those upgrading. Is it warmer? Does it fit differently? I have a KL hoody and vest. Apart from the skinny forearm thing they are pretty good IMO but my ears are always open.

OP
F

Foreman05

FNG
I’m interested in the temperature factor as well. I love my KL hoody but am always interested in something “better” or more diverse.

jd1006

WKR
Is there a mixture of down within the insulation? Or is this straight synthetic?