New Tikka build: Rings/Mounts/Bases?

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
I’m building a rifle as a light(ish) suppressed hunting rifle. So far I have:
-260 CTR
-McMillian A3 Edge
-Mountain Tactical light mag bottom metal
-Vortex 3-15 LHT(on order)
48E96C20-78BF-453C-B2CE-E8388C8A16B2.jpegMy question is how should I mount the scope? I’m looking for as much reliability and accuracy as possible while trying to remain weight conscious.

I have the following in my parts box:
-Talley light weights(right height and size)
-20MOA Mountain tactical rail

Should just run the Talleys and be done with it or is there an advantage to using the pic rail and some Warne Mountain or Leupold backcountry rings??

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Lawnboi

WKR
If you go rail get the area 419 rail. Much more refined edges, and lower.

I’m personally a rail and rings fan after having a little of everything on my tikkas.

For rings for a rail, I prefer Hawkins ultra lite or seekins. Definite step up in quality over the mountain tech.

Kind of a joke but kind of not, a pic rail will make it easy to diagnose scope problems when that vortex Takes a crap.

khuber84

WKR
I have a few dif setups.......Hawkins 30mm low 25moa hybrid ring/base combo, also area419 20 moa rail with Hawkins low 34mm rings. The hybrid setup is cleaner, lighter, but I also feel the rail/ring is stronger and more secure robust.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of direct mount one piece rings generally. That said, pic rails give you some options if your the type to change things up. I’ve got a MTN Tactical rail on my T3x because the seller included it. I’ve got an ISMS on a different rifle.

Something to consider:
Leupold Backcountry rings: 3 ounces
Spuhr SCT-3001: 5.3 ounces
EGW Rail + Seekins rings: 6.1 ounces

I‘m all about ounces = pounds = pain...but this is a 3 ounce difference. Get what you have the most confidence in.

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies! I looked into the Hawkins ring/base combo. They look great and the level is a nice touch; but without a recoil lug I’m not sure it offers a better connection to the rifle than the Talleys I’ve had on several rifles. I own a set of Seekens rings on a Gen2 razor. Not something I had considered for hunting. They are tanks. No decisions made yet.

EDIT: I looked up a 30MM set of low Seekins. They are no were as massive as the 34mm Highs I'm used to. I may go that route.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sports match......all day.....

mounts directly to the integral tikka rail, has a recoil lug. Anything else is a step backwards.

TxxAgg

WKR
Sports match......all day.....

mounts directly to the integral tikka rail, has a recoil lug. Anything else is a step backwards.

The Warnes mount to the tikka rail and have a recoil lug. I hear some guys don't like the vertical split. They are around 6oz so heavier than some options. Thoughts?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The Warnes mount to the tikka rail and have a recoil lug. I hear some guys don't like the vertical split. They are around 6oz so heavier than some options. Thoughts?

Ive never used them so I can’t really say, I’m sure they work fine but I’m not a fan of vertical split rings, I’ve had talleys that were the vertical split design and I found it to be a pain in the ass, I’ve also read that they aren’t great for scopes.

the sports match really seem to check every box and they aren’t that expensive at all, I never weighed mine before putting them on the rifle so not sure of the weight, I’m sure a weight weenie rokslider has weighed them though.

I used them - once:) They are uber heavy and don't appear to hold a scope anymore better than the Sportsmatch or others for far less weight.

Shane431

FNG
rail and rings gives you the best flexibility as far as setting up eye relief. Also, it's a solid proven approach. Unless you're trying to as light as possible, I recommend rail and rings.

TxxAgg

WKR
I used them - once:) They are uber heavy and don't appear to hold a scope anymore better than the Sportsmatch or others for far less weight.

As a reference point, I went back through my notes. The Warnes are 5.2 oz and the Talley are 2 oz.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to buy sportsmatch last Friday, could not find a source. Tried links posted by Form in another thread, no go in ebay. Anybody got a source?