New Tire Recommendations

satchamo

WKR
I have had KO2s and they were a fantastic tire. I got 60k on mine with room to spare on a 285.

I just had some general grabber ATXs put on - I have a relative who works for continental tire and he hooked me up - but regardless I would have no issue paying full price for these. They’re a really really good budget option. 10 ply, KO2 knock off at maybe 2/3 the cost.

I’ve had KO’s and Falken’s. Been very happy with both. I ran KO’s for years but the Falken’s have not disappointed thus far.

pk_

WKR
The Falken AT and MT are absolutely fantastic. Probably my favorite tires I have ever run.

BFG KO2 are really great, a close 2nd for me, but more $$

Nitto terra and trails perform great offroad but treadlife is poor and they are $$, have not run them in years.

Toyo RT disappointed in tread life and punctured from nails and screws way easier than any other AT or MT I have run and they are $$$, not again...

N2TRKYS

WKR
The Falken AT and MT are absolutely fantastic. Probably my favorite tires I have ever run.

BFG KO2 are really great, a close 2nd for me, but more $$

I had heard and read that the Falkens were cheaper than the BFGs. When I started pricing tires, I noticed that the cheaper Falkens were P rated.

JakeSCH

WKR
I have the goodyear wrangler duratrac's on my Ram Rebel...I for sure would not have gotten an elk without them. Took me through 18" of powder a couple miles back without chains in Co last year.

Tires are a hot topic for me and I thoroughly believe you get what you pay for. In my research, everyone seems to preach KO2 and they're expensive as all hell, but I was somewhat disappointed in mine given the cost. I endured a couple of discussions with tire store employees, managers, and random people that walked up to tell me the BFG KO2s were the best. I still somewhat disagree...the Duratracs I moved from were unquestionably better, especially in snow & ice.

Long story short, I still have the KO2s and am reasonably happy after a minor alignment was done and they are now at least predictable on ice, and snow traction is acceptable...I can live with that. They were absolute crap and downright scary without a perfect alignment though. I would have gone with or traded back to the Duratracs if the size I wanted was produced.

In the late-Fall, CO backcountry always bring chains. Tires won't always cut it when the weather changes. Two seasons ago in CO there were 15+ vehicles waiting in/out because someone believed their Taco with mud tires could handle anything 8K elevation in CO could throw...tow trucks on the West slope made a killing that season.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I always got 50k + miles out of my BFG ATs on my 2500HD diesel. I put a set on my 4Runner and love them on it, as well.

duchntr

WKR
Was never impressed with the BFG ATs for anything but graded dirt roads, the new ones may be better not sure. I have had good luck with duratracs and at3's. If I was an easterner making a hunting trip a year, I would probably run those tires and wear them out before buying new ones. But for sure I would bring some chains for the front end at a minimum along with your standard recovery gear.

Rob5589

WKR
My 19 Ram has the Falken AT3W. Great tire in rain and snow and surprisingly good in mud for an all terrain.

I don't skimp on two things, tires and HD brake pads. I go places where failures can getcha killed. Toyo Open Country AT Xtremes for me. Pricey but have a 50,000 mile warranty and almost bulletproofIMG_1358.JPG. Quiet on the highway, haven't been stuck yet.

Quin

FNG
I drive a 2017 RAM 1500 with a 5.7 L Hemi. My current tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza P275/60R20 114H. They may be the worst tires I've ever had in rain and snow. Although I recently moved to SC no worries about snow here but I'm driving to Colorado for the 3rd rifle season and a good chance of having snow there, especially if I follow the road up the mountain into higher elevations. So do I keep these crappy tires (have good tread) and buy chains or get more aggressive tires and will I still need (or maybe just have) chains?

Thanks,
Steve
31c8cb68a611cffaa75b00be60b2e54a.jpg
8252f52225414acac17113bfb188e78f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If they are the worst tire in snow you've had, then you absolutely have to ditch those things. No question if you ask me.

Don't let the tire shop charge you $20 to "dispose" of them though. Instead tell the shop you want them back and then sell them on Craigslist for a couple hundred to offset the cost of the new tires. Makes the cost a bit easier to swallow.

I have Goodyear Wrangler ultra terrains on my work and personal trucks. They kick a lot of ass at the expense of some mpg on pavement.

My last tires were Michelin at2 and they were really a good compromise on pavement and off. With them I got better fuel economy but less traction.

I have hunted 3rd and 4th rifle the last five or six years and haven't needed chains yet but I know I'm just a shitty day away from wishing I had them.

I'd say find another set of 17" wheel take offs etc.
Or discount tire direct 0 interest for 6 months.
Or custom offsets .com
Get a hole additional setup.
Falken wild peaks
Bfg
Nitto
Toyo
Etc
They will last 10 yrs if u only bolt on for hunting season.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd say find another set of 17" wheel take offs etc.
Or discount tire direct 0 interest for 6 months.
Or custom offsets .com
Get a hole additional setup.
Falken wild peaks
Bfg
Nitto
Toyo
Etc
They will last 10 yrs if u only bolt on for hunting season.
I'd love to have another set of rim's to put the tires on but just went for my lungs with the moving company, still have to buy a Seek Outside Tipi and stove and ........

pk_

WKR
I had heard and read that the Falkens were cheaper than the BFGs. When I started pricing tires, I noticed that the cheaper Falkens were P rated.
Check Amazon.
Mine are T rated and were anywhere from $50-$100 cheaper per tire than BFG, Toyo, Nitto...

Check Amazon.
Mine are T rated and were anywhere from $50-$100 cheaper per tire than BFG, Toyo, Nitto...

And then you have to pay to get them mounted and balanced? Does that eat into the savings? Around here it is getting hard to find a shop to mount tires you do not buy from them,

I'd love to have another set of rim's to put the tires on but just went for my lungs with the moving company, still have to buy a Seek Outside Tipi and stove and ........

Do some pricing
If you drop rim size from 20 to 17 the tire price reduces as well.
Plus discount tire direct does free mount and balance if you buy wheels and tire.
I bet the price is closer to a wash then you think.

And then you have to pay to get them mounted and balanced? Does that eat into the savings? Around here it is getting hard to find a shop to mount tires you do not buy from them,

I've become convinced it is better to wait for rebates and buy new wheels with free mounting every time.
Comes to you house all setup.
Get $200 out of the used wheels and if only cost like $100 more to get new and have them show up at house ready to go.