New to Reloading

Some Stupid questions.

Wondering what people recommend for Powder ?? Mostly for shooting targets (.223 for now.) And at some point .270 and .308.

The really stupid question what's the difference between Handgun powder and Rifle Powder ??

Thanks !!!

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I just got started reloading last year or two, so i still consider myself a newb at it but I can attempt to answer some questions for you

1. You need to get a good reloading book or two, the ABC's of reloading, and one of the books with recipes, like by lyman, hornady and such. It will have all the recipes in it for 223, 270 308 etc, look over it and see what powders are commonly used by those calibers.

2. I have been using IMR 4895 for 308 so far if that helps. I have heard great things about varget for 223 and 308. If your gun is an AR i think there is a powder called TAC wich is supposedly formulated just for AR rifles

3. I think the correct answer to difference in pistol and rifle powder is burn rate. You can substitute aot of shotgun powders in pistol but i am unsure how many rifle powders can be substituted

again these are just general answers, i am sure there are seasoned reloaders on here that can offer alot more info than my limited experience as of right now

Powders vary by burn rates. Burn rates affect pressure, velocity, accuracy.

TAC is a good .223 powder.

Choosing a powder is like asking which is better, redheads or brunettes. Your gun, bullet selection, primer selection, etc. will be the determining factor as to which powder is best for your application. You'll find that you end up with a variety on hand. I use Barnes bullets, and find their manual is very good at recommending powder selections that will give you good accuracy.

Get a reloading book. It's usually best to cross reference a few when picking a powder because one book may show anomoly.

That said H4831 is generally a very good powder in 270's

Varget and TAC do well in 308/223.

GKPrice

Banned
Get a reloading book. It's usually best to cross reference a few when picking a powder because one book may show anomoly.

That said H4831 is generally a very good powder in 270's

Varget and TAC do well in 308/223.

Nosler just published manual #8 - I've found the Nosler manuals to be very comprehensive even though they only show data for their bullets, they do have quite a long list - Some chamberings show as many as 11 - 13 different powders and 3 charges of each of those - there are other loading manuals that are quite good as well, Nosler is just my preference

I've tried Hodgdon's CFE 223 powder in .308 and it works well

Shrek

WKR
The annual Hodgdon manual is an inexpensive source for loads with a broad selection of powders since they distribute Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR , and others. It's all recipes and little instruction so you need another source for basic techniques. Honestly , just about all you need is free on the web. Go to bullet makers and powder makers websites and you can usually get their load data for a particular cartridge for free. Do that for the ones you want to load and get the recipes from a bunch of sites. Make your own free recipe book for free.

OP
skybuster1329
Thanks guys for all the great info. I have the Hornday Handbook. I was looking for some recommendations Which you guys have provided. Thanks again for the Info.

345 kv

FNG
Type of powder depends on bullet/rifle. I have 5, .223s and use 3 different powders to load them.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I have only been reloading for two years and the best advice I can give you is "Be Cautious!". You will find pet loads and all sorts of info on how much powder to use for each caliber. Always referre back to the reloading manuals and work up by at most .5 gr increments, and look for pressure signs. Never shoot someone else's handloads in your gun (especially if they say "these are hot"). Common sense is the reloaders greatest asset.

That being said reloading is very fun and rewarding when you get that perfect combination. Good luck and have fun!