New Tundra owners — Tow hooks?

I looked at a new 2023 Tundra a while back. A few things made me move to another brand. 1. Starting price 10k over MSRP 2. 6.5“ beds were a pink unicorn 3. No front tow hooks. Doesn’t look like any better aftermarket options have surfaced in the past year or so from when I was looking. The tow hook thing is just unreal.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Initially I put the above listed AFE loops on my frame, but they suck to access in the snow/mud and the strap angle puts pressure on the front bumper. I installed a covert bumper by CBI and have been very happy with it. Accepts a winch, has tow hook connections, has a solid bull bar and makes a great connection to the frame. I think it was just over 1k shipped.

I agree that it's ridiculous that it wasn't an included item, especially with the TRD package.

I believe the CBI covert bumper comes standard on the high end fancy version of the Tundra that's similar to the Raptors and such.

The covert bumper has a great stock appearance and extends a solid metal plate from mid grill line all the way down to the skid plate.
Yes, I’ve looked into that same bumper. Are you concerned about any insurance issues? Seems like a potential reason for excess liability or denial of coverage.

WRO

WKR
Who makes that bumper? I really like the look and low profile.

Most of the aftermarket Tundra bumper are big and bulky and not very aesthetically pleasing.

I love it, it came on my truck I’ll look and get back to you. It’s better looking than anyone I’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Toy knows the drivers will go for a really flashy off-road look in the aftermarket.
Gotta be seen!
What took you so long to show up!

Trucks are getting less and less offroady. Chevy now makes their 4wd without standard 4LO.

ODB

WKR
It’s an embarrassing oversight actually! What kind of 4X4 lacks recovery points?

I remember seeing an ad for the tundra where a couple were all dressed up - the dude had a red handkerchief (to match the interior) and were on the way to something in the city - I was like, Whah?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I remember seeing an ad for the tundra where a couple were all dressed up - the dude had a red handkerchief (to match the interior) and were on the way to something in the city - I was like, Whah?
Well for years, the fancy types who like that stuff and Swarovski riflscopes panned the Toyota because it wasn’t fancy enough and lacked the tech and features other trucks had. It just worked. But fancy people don’t buy stuff that only just works, they want fancy! Toyota tired of being the basic SWFA 6x, so they went after the Swaro market and apparently forgot some important chit in the process!

Oh and did I mention the skid plates are some plastic/nylon garbage? On the TRD Off Road package no less.

I’m about to buy one because I’m not convinced there’s a better option, but to say I’m mad at Toyota is an understatement.

Hopefully all these fails can be fixed with aftermarket parts. On a $75,000 truck… wtf!

Yes, I’ve looked into that same bumper. Are you concerned about any insurance issues? Seems like a potential reason for excess liability or denial of coverage.
I'm not worried about it since all I removed was plastic. No metal frame work or wiring was changed. Deer collisions are just a part of commuting where I live and I wanted to keep them out of the radiator without going full rock crawler look.

*Edit: the front crash bar is replaced by this bumper. I forgot about that detail when I made this comment.

Last edited:
You serious? 4lo is only available as an option?

Buddy of mine got a new gmc truck for work and sent me this the first day. You have to buy the the offroad package to get a traditional two speed transfer case, otherwise you've only got 4hi.
He said it's kind of like a 4wd/awd system from a crossover that uses clutches.

To your original post, personally I would go straight for the CBI bumper and not waste money on anything else.
Stupid you they overlooked that or did it intentionally to make you buy accessories.

Attachments

• IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 38
2023/24 Tundras have no tow hooks in the front?
That is quite unbelievable actually.
No ford f150 has I believe since 2016? Or 2017? Yet it seems to be the most popular on here… I was in awe when I got my work 2017 first time I got stuck I thought I was crazy not being able to find a tow point.

Whisky

WKR
No ford f150 has I believe since 2016? Or 2017? Yet it seems to be the most popular on here… I was in awe when I got my work 2017 first time I got stuck I thought I was crazy not being able to find a tow point.
I've driven F150s for over 20 years, including a 2021 now. A 2018 before that. All have had front tow hooks.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I'm not worried about it since all I removed was plastic. No metal frame work or wiring was changed. Deer collisions are just a part of commuting where I live and I wanted to keep them out of the radiator without going full rock crawler look.
On that CBI covert, don’t you remove the whole front horizontal cross member - called the crash bar?

Watch at about 10:10.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
F me! Has the whole country gone soft or what?
I never thought I'd see the day where the whole world has lost their minds. It doesn't matter where you look, every subject, every detail, every everything. Truth is lies, lies are truth, evil is good, good is evil.......etc, etc.......one seriously messed up world. The end is near.

As for the Tundra's, I'd just recommend buying a lower mile '21 or older. The money you save will buy a heck of a lot of gas, and you'll still come out way ahead of paying $75k for new.

What took you so long to show up!

Trucks are getting less and less offroady. Chevy now makes their 4wd without standard 4LO.
I saw that when I was shopping for a Cummins 3.0.
You have to spec it.
Most Toyota drivers are looking to add really obvious accessories, anyway.
My 2015 F150 XLT has tow hooks.
It will turn 160k on this tank of gas....3.5 Ecoboost.
I have never regretted dumping the 2006 Tacoma.