New (used) hunting rig

woods89

WKR
20230727_102910.jpg

This showed up at a local lot. 04 4runner Sport, V8. 233k. Drives straight, everything seems to work. I bought it this morning.

I think I'll get the timing belt done in the next few months, as a preventative measure. Other than that, it seems to be fine for a hunting, camping, errand running rig.

Anything I need to know?

I have about 415k on my 04 V8 4Runner. I've replaced the front end, otherwise typical maintenance, and it runs perfectly. So, expect to have it a long time.

I have about 415k on my 04 V8 4Runner. I've replaced the front end, otherwise typical maintenance, and it runs perfectly. So, expect to have it a long time.
Looked at an 06 the other day with the v8. 360k Had the timing belt done at 150k and has had nothing but oil changes and a drive belt in that time. It did need front struts and sway bar end links, and the steering shaft u joints were seized up. Pretty impressive though....

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I have an 07 gx470, essentially same truck. Water pump and timing belt every 90k, oil changes, brake pads. I'm almost ready to turn 200k with no signs of slowing down.

Ucsdryder

WKR
View attachment 580820

This showed up at a local lot. 04 4runner Sport, V8. 233k. Drives straight, everything seems to work. I bought it this morning.

I think I'll get the timing belt done in the next few months, as a preventative measure. Other than that, it seems to be fine for a hunting, camping, errand running rig.

Anything I need to know?
When was the belt replaced last? Sometimes it’ll show on carfax if you haven’t looked.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Get a rack for the back to haul dead animals and you're in great shape! Excellent find!
Most of the animals I kill get quartered and go in coolers, so no issue with that. I'm thinking maybe a kiddie pool for the back for the few whitetails that I bring home whole.
I may get a hitch rack at some point though, as it might be nice to have the option.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Timing belt/water pump scheduled for next Wednesday. After finding no evidence of it being changed I'm not going to take my chances.

My brother drove it about 40 mi home from the dealer. So far so good.

Probably a good chance it will make the trip to CO in November if no issues arise.

7mm-08

WKR
I have an 07 gx470, essentially same truck. Water pump and timing belt every 90k, oil changes, brake pads. I'm almost ready to turn 200k with no signs of slowing down.
If you have a Lexus GX 470, you're comparing apples (Toyota) to Apple computers (Lexus). That Lexus is a really formidable 4 wheel drive vehicle!

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
So, having taken stock a bit over the last few days, here are a few things I'm thinking of doing in the next 6 months or so. Any input anyone had would be great.

-I plan to have the shop that's doing my timing belt/water pump give it a general inspection. Mechanical issues will get priority over mods.

-Headlights aren't awful, but pretty cloudy. Probably going to need at least new bulbs.

-I'd like to switch all interior lights to LED.

-It has a cigarette lighter socket in the cargo area, and I'd like to see if I can find an LED strip or two that plug into that, as it seems like my hunting vehicles get loaded/unloaded in the dark alot.

-Rubber mat for the cargo area. Also saw where someone had stretched an atv cargo net under the headliner to stuff things in.

-Perhaps most importantly, it's going to need tires in 10,000-15,000 miles, and I wonder if I take it to CO in November if it should just have some new shoes pre trip. Any recommendations? I've driven 3/4 ton trucks for the last number of years and don't really consider anything but 10 ply for them, but this rig is probably lighter. I don't anticipate hard core off roading, but probably lots of gravel roads.

Any advice or comments are welcome. So far in life I've pretty much used work trucks for hunting, so this is a new chapter.

dtrkyman

WKR
I never had e rated or 10 ply tires on my grand cherokee, one flat in 200k miles and that was a bolt run through it. Tons of off road and trail miles, use it while guiding. I run too many highway miles to deal with an MT tire!

I have my best luck with Bridgstone tires, Dueller AT. not aggresive but great on the road and adequate off, I just got some Hankook at xtreme and so far not really impressed with the ride but hopefully they are better off road but haven't put them to the test yet.

Dented

WKR
10 ply tires on that rig will ride a little rough. You'll get great mileage out of them but your on road performance will suffer, likely in wet breaking and ride comfort.

It's the eternal struggle, highway performance and off road capability. I've had both MT and road tires on my SUV. Now I aim for something in the middle, and give up a bit on both extremes.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
It's the eternal struggle, highway performance and off road capability. I've had both MT and road tires on my SUV. Now I aim for something in the middle, and give up a bit on both extremes.
[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth!

It currently has Hercules Terra Trac 265/70/17 10 ply on it. The ride isnt awful, but I'm also used to an F-250. I was looking at them again this afternoon and they've definitely got some depth left, just not deep anymore. They may be fine for a bit.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
The mechanic said it looked like the timing belt/water pump had never been done. Only 140k over suggested interval, lol.

He also replaced the thermostat and serpentine belt, as well as the sway bar linkage, which fixed a clunk it had when on rough roads. So now it's ready to roll!

When was the belt replaced last? Sometimes it’ll show on carfax if you haven’t looked.
Carfax is about as useful as teats on a boar.

I just sold a truck that had been totaled twice, and engine swapped. To a completely different engine, that no engine manufacturer had ever built.

Clear carfax, stock truck.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Carfax is about as useful as teats on a boar.

I just sold a truck that had been totaled twice, and engine swapped. To a completely different engine, that no engine manufacturer had ever built.

Clear carfax, stock truck.
It’s better than nothing! I bought a truck and it showed when brakes were done, when all fluids were done, etc. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn’t. But no reason not to check.

yfarm

WKR
The v8 model has an electronic shift transfer case, where the actuator goes into the transfer case there is a seal that leaks. To replace it is a 2k job, toyota changed the design in 06 I think which solved the problem .mine was an 04 limited, just topped off the tcase every couple of months and kept a drip pan under it.