New Vehicle

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
6th gear seemed unneeded as I had it up to 75 in 5th and I didn't need to shift. Like wasn't even close to needing to shift. When I did, it seemed it didn't add anything.

Have you ever driven a manual before? You could drive in 3rd gear all the time as well if you wanted. 6th will drop the RPM's and you'll get much better mileage on the highway.

boom

WKR
We have an '02 Forester, had it since 28K miles, now 100K after 6 years. Our 3rd Sub. Lots of room in back, I have slept there w seats down. Good MPG, a little anemic @ high altitude. Offroad, you can keep going as long as you have clearance. Very durable/reliable, not expensive to fix. Seats not that comfortable on long trips. Great snow car. Subies w manual trans feel stronger than ours which is auto/4 speed. Subarus are ahead of Mazdas in reliability, far ahead in low depreciation/retained value.

windnoise?

wife has a 2005. the frameless windows is so noisy on that car. we have the turbo version so MPG sucks, and we suck premium fuel. bright side, elevation sickness is a non-issue.

vanish

WKR
Subaru Forester is at the top of my family's list for an all around vehicle. Nearly bit the bullet on brand new one last year, but bought an old F150 for a hunting vehicle instead since my 2006 Toyota RAV4 is still running well with 170k miles. Although I love my old RAV4, we test drove the newer RAV4s - yuck - no bueno! The new Forester feels just like my old RAV4 but with all the new gadgets and upgrades that a new vehicle should have.

OP

2ski

WKR
Have you ever driven a manual before? You could drive in 3rd gear all the time as well if you wanted. 6th will drop the RPM's and you'll get much better mileage on the highway.

Yeah. I've driven a manual a ton. My first car was a 5-speed manual that I drove for 4 or 5 years. My hunting rig is a '79 Chevy Bonanza with 3 on the floor. So I guess if the point of the 6th gear is to only be at cruising speed but everytime you accelarate, even a little you down shift, then okay. But my 5-speed taurus still had power in 5th where I didn't have to shift down unless I was climbing a pretty good incline.

Brendan

WKR
Yeah. I've driven a manual a ton. My first car was a 5-speed manual that I drove for 4 or 5 years. My hunting rig is a '79 Chevy Bonanza with 3 on the floor. So I guess if the point of the 6th gear is to only be at cruising speed but everytime you accelarate, even a little you down shift, then okay. But my 5-speed taurus still had power in 5th where I didn't have to shift down unless I was climbing a pretty good incline.

That's exactly what it's for. Think cruise control on the highway and wanting to get the best MPG. If you're going 70+, you probably wouldn't need to downshift all that much, although I haven't driven that specific car.

The short clutch travel and a tighter shift pattern are more desirable from a "sportiness" perspective. Easier to shift quickly, to the point that many sports car "enthusiasts" install short-shift kits to tighten things up even further. But, from a perspective of an SUV, truck, or if you're not driving it like you stole it - doesn't really matter, may just take a little to get used to.

Test drove a couple Foresters yesterday. I liked it. Drove one base model and one that was the mid-level package. My back didn't like the seats on the one that was the base level. I would have to have one that had lumbar support. She told me the timing belt thing that Subarus were known for needing to have replaced is a thing of the past because its now a chain? Overall, I liked it. A new mid-level one is more than I'm wanting to pay right now. I may check into used though. The new one was the 6-speed manual. That would take some getting used to, and the clutch only moves a few inches so it wasn't like any manual I've driven. 6th gear seemed unneeded as I had it up to 75 in 5th and I didn't need to shift. Like wasn't even close to needing to shift. When I did, it seemed it didn't add anything.

Anyone have any opinion on the Mazda CX-5? A buddy of mine, who's wife drives a CRV which he likes but she doesn't, said he's heard good things about them.

I personally think the timing chain in them is yet to be proven, the t-belt cars needed belts (water pump and components)at 100k just like any other t-belt car. What subarus have become known for is head gasket issues...lots at 100k. I haven't seen if this issue carries over into the years that have t-chains, but if they got the head gasket issues taken care of, and the timing chain set up holds up, they will have the best car out there.

Tsnider

WKR
TOYOTA FANBOY RANT INCOMING. Coming from a fleet technician. all of this is irrelevant if you trade vehicles in every 3-4 years really. my FjCruiser will likely be around for quite some time. Unless i finally break and get the new 4runner.

Toyota. Theyre expensive up front, but save repair costs down the road.

Nissan hasn't impressed me in the past with some of the ones my brother has owned. During some offroad tests trucks like the Titans literally start dropping pieces and panels.

Subaru does its job but they're pieces of shit really. My fiance drives a 2009 impreza and it burns oil like they all do. The only way around that from first hand experience is to buy the top of the line WRX STi. Never had any issues with that bad boy. Headgaskets are a common issue. They do run great while they run. Just not the longevity i look for personally. She loves them, but is starting to see the setbacks finally. The other tech I work with is in the same boat, his wife only likes Subarus. They burn oil as well (even their 2 years old one she currently drives).

We have Fords in our fleet, i'm working one way today as a matter of fact, some are decent and some are crap. Thrown together vehicles IMO.

My FjCruiser has the same engine as the tacomas. I have beat the living shit out of that thing. The only issue i have had to date was an idler pully going out because i drove through a section of a lake to get to a camp site (you bet your ass i had that spot to myself). replaced the idler with a sealed unit and never looked back. oh and i had to replace the 9 year old OEM battery last year. Base off of different forums i have been a member of for years, from Toyota to cross platform (like ExpeditionPortal) it seems like its far less common for someone to have issues with a Toyota, than someone to not have issues with some of the other major manufacturers.

I see stuff like the guy who had 1 million miles on his Tundra, so Toyota traded him for a brand new Tundra so they could study the engine and see whats breaking down to improve it. Thank kind of stuff impresses me. fanboy rant over

NYSKIER

WKR
We are in the same spot, i just bought a '15 tacoma offroad, awesome tuck. I get the boring part but theres so much aftermarket stuff to help out in the boring department. Anyways now we are in need of a new suv. From everything we looked at we keep coming back to a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Toyota 4runner v6 4x4. Both have good resale value and look awesome. Not sure what will get but it will be in the next month or 2 so im gonna keep an eye on this thread to see what other opinions people have. Not interested in the xterra. Just dont like the looks. They havent changed body style for 15yrs it seems like. Other suvs we considered is the buick enclave. Super nice but i have kids and trying to be realistic that they wont screw it up inside. I like the new chevy traverses also just havent looked into them enough to know about the power train. Heck even the new explorers look good, i just dont like the cop feel to them. lol anyways good luck. Hard to buy a crappy vehicle anymore with the internet and the voice it has. Car makers have had to step up there game.

I'd tay away from the Grand Cherokee know a couple people who had them recently and they were always in the shop. New one may be better especially on gas mileage but I'm not sure

elkduds

WKR
windnoise?

wife has a 2005. the frameless windows is so noisy on that car. we have the turbo version so MPG sucks, and we suck premium fuel. bright side, elevation sickness is a non-issue.

Sometimes. When it gets noisy, I apply a hammer to the steel door latch mounted on the door frame of the body. That tightens it up and shuts off most wind noise.

And mine just got T belt service, head gaskets replaced. I understand the head gasket issue was resolved sometime after 2004.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Subaru Forester Problems | CarComplaints.com

Last edited:
OP

2ski

WKR
That's exactly what it's for. Think cruise control on the highway and wanting to get the best MPG. If you're going 70+, you probably wouldn't need to downshift all that much, although I haven't driven that specific car.

The short clutch travel and a tighter shift pattern are more desirable from a "sportiness" perspective. Easier to shift quickly, to the point that many sports car "enthusiasts" install short-shift kits to tighten things up even further. But, from a perspective of an SUV, truck, or if you're not driving it like you stole it - doesn't really matter, may just take a little to get used to.
No literally if you were going 70 plus and wanted to do anything but keep going that speed you had to down shift. 5th had plenty. I didn't shift out of 4th until over 60.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Glad you were able to check out the Forester. It took me a bit to dial in the seats. I'm used to my truck, which is like a couch in comparison.

Everyone has their own opinion, of course, and people only tend to speak up about negative experiences. Our Subie has been excellent. I've heard other people with oil consumption issues, which I have never experienced. I put on new tires at 80k and decided to do the brakes then as well. Other than that, just oil changes and filters. Easiest oil change you'll ever do.

Haven't heard anyone personally who has had head gasket or timing chain issues on late model years. Ask enough people about any car, and you'll hear praise and horror stories within the same day. I tend to think people treat their cars like crap, then wonder why there are issues. You obviously take care of yours and make them last.

I would say to stick with the 2014 or later model. Lots of nice features for the money. Also, the Outback seats might fit you better. Worth checking one out.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee - will never buy another one and from the lists that keep coming out on the top 10 vehicles to not buy, I cant believe they are still making them. Had an F150, loved it but man so did the MN salty roads. Ditto on the Avalanche. I had great luck with mine and gave it to my son when he turned 16. Its plasti Dipped as it was the easiest and most affordable way of hiding the rust. After a lot of research I ended up getting a used Tundra with the 4.7 in it. So far I absolutely love the truck. It is very well equipped and I have had no problems at all with it and its at 219,000 miles now. If this keeps up I am switching out my wifes and sons vehicles to all Toyota.

vanish

WKR
I'd tay away from the Grand Cherokee know a couple people who had them recently and they were always in the shop. New one may be better especially on gas mileage but I'm not sure

I work in the auto industry and concur with the above. Nothing gets more service request forms filled out than non-technical Jeeps.

Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee - will never buy another one and from the lists that keep coming out on the top 10 vehicles to not buy, I cant believe they are still making them. Had an F150, loved it but man so did the MN salty roads. Ditto on the Avalanche. I had great luck with mine and gave it to my son when he turned 16. Its plasti Dipped as it was the easiest and most affordable way of hiding the rust. After a lot of research I ended up getting a used Tundra with the 4.7 in it. So far I absolutely love the truck. It is very well equipped and I have had no problems at all with it and its at 219,000 miles now. If this keeps up I am switching out my wifes and sons vehicles to all Toyota.

I've had dozens of vehicles for my business, mostly 3/4's and up but every year I have 2-3 half'rs in the fleet. After buying and selling flavors from all makes I can honestly not say anything good about any of the american company 1/2 tons. I had problems, and major problems with all three. I'm pretty pigeon holed on the heavier trucks but for light duty 1/2's it's nissan and toyota from now on.

I had horrible luck with the ford 5.4's... the engine was doggy at best, the transmissions never held up and the rear ends were plagued from day 1. Some friends seem satisfied with their eco boosts but for what I need I wouldn't make up any of the gas gains.

Dodge.... lots of transmission, rearend and head gasket problems

If I had to pick an american based co. 1/2 ton it would be a GM simply because of all the issues I had with all brands, the chev's seemed to be less severe. I still replaced a transmission or two but I didn't have overwhelming trends in the GM's like I did with others. Lots of little crap went wrong for me on the GM 1/2's. Their 6.0 gasser though is still one of my favorite motors due to not having to fix it.

The nissan titan has been extremely durable for me, kind of obtained it by accident almost and happy I did. The tundra's are well.... tundras. Not bullet proof but certainly better than the USA-Based counterparts.

I get boarderline depressed thinking about all the repairs I've had on both heavy and light duty pickups over the last 20 years.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No literally if you were going 70 plus and wanted to do anything but keep going that speed you had to down shift. 5th had plenty. I didn't shift out of 4th until over 60.

The 4 cyl is a dog, but that's the only way you're going to get the mileage in the Subaru's. Their 6 cyl has the same mileage rating as our Honda Odyssey minivan with the 240hp V6.

My wife averages right at 29 combined driving with her Outback and 6-speed, but we also have a 2000 Maxima 5-speed with the V6. I drive that thing like I stole it no matter where I'm driving, and it gets 27mpg every single time. Great mileage for the power it has.

One thing I hate about the Outback is how tight the steering is. I must look like I'm drunk driving down the highway because even a micro-movement of the wheel makes it turn. So it's all over the road. I'm used to my Toyota where I can almost turn 1/8 turn before it responds. It's great for knee steering while I'm eating on the road. The Subaru......not so much. I'd end up in the ditch. But in three years I've only driven her car twice. I don't like it.

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
what do yall think of the 2.0 turbo forester? looks interesting. yall have got me off the fj cruiser and on the subaru bandwagon now lol

OP

2ski

WKR
One thing I hate about the Outback is how tight the steering is. I must look like I'm drunk driving down the highway because even a micro-movement of the wheel makes it turn. So it's all over the road. I'm used to my Toyota where I can almost turn 1/8 turn before it responds. It's great for knee steering while I'm eating on the road. The Subaru......not so much. I'd end up in the ditch. But in three years I've only driven her car twice. I don't like it.

Yep. Noticed it. Really noticed how tight the steering is. And had the same thoughts as you. I knee drive once in a while but I drive with one hand in my lap all the time and can put two fingers on that hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. So when I drove like I normally drive I swerved a bit until I switched to a firmer grip. I figured the salesman wouldn't like it if I did that too much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
We are hunters. Please Lord tell me that subaru is not an option on this forum. Please.

Yeah, it's not really my cup of tea either. Most of them around where I'm at have 1A or 5B license plates and a "I'm with Her" or LGBT something-or-other bumper sticker and drive about 5-10 MPH below the speed limit at all times :rolleyes:. I suppose I can see the appeal for people living in a more urban setting, though. A full-size pickup doesn't make sense in that case, but it's nice to have AWD for mild off-highway destinations on the occasional weekend. Subarus are pretty well-suited for that kind of use, I suppose.

boom

WKR
We are hunters. Please Lord tell me that subaru is not an option on this forum. Please.

LOL!!

the main reason i even own a tacoma is that i took my wife's subaru pig hunting in Mendocino County. i brought that thing back filthy. she saw it and said, "oh hell no. you need a truck1"

i owned the tacoma about 2 weeks later. :)