New Vehicle

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You can get around that transmission cooler line..........by getting a MANUAL. I won't even go look at a vehicle unless it comes with a manual transmission.

i have a 2006 4x4 tacoma. it is so boring.

We have five vehicles now, so I end up switching up all the time. But you know, I've had my '89 Toyota 28 years now, and every single time I get in it and drive.......a big smile comes across my face. It's just a joy to drive........every single time. It handles so much better than any other vehicle I've ever driven........just so tight and smooth in every regard, without any rattles or leaks. Ya, I wish I had an extra couple hundred horsepower in it, but then I'd be even more dangerous driving it.

in a quick 10 minute search everything I could find about the class action and tranny issues was pathfinders, xterras and frontiers.... sounds like mine has a seperate cooler so I think I'm in the clear. Thanks for the info though... much appreciated. Bummer for anyone caught in this mishap.

that sounds right. it was anything with a V6. i ended up in court with them. and won.. but it was a long battle. a huge design flaw that they would just not own up to. crappy business.

elkduds

WKR
that sounds right. it was anything with a V6. i ended up in court with them. and won.. but it was a long battle. a huge design flaw that they would just not own up to. crappy business.

Had a '98 Pathfinder v6, 5 speed. Overall good rig, pretty tough, thirsty. I hope the word is out so owners w the chickenspit tranny cooling line in the radiator can put on a separate cooler b4 using up a trans.

absolutely stay away from nissan. there is not a worse car to work on or have worked on. major transmission issues on anything before 2010,
it has been the subject of several lawsuits. long and short they decided to run a transmission fluid line through the radiator.

Most all vehicles with automatic transmissions have a transmission cooler that is part of the radiator just like the nissans, it isnt a design flaw running it that way, just crappy parts. This can happen to anything with an auto, just seems to be a repeat failure with the nissans. Where your nissans regularly serviced by someone that would recognize signs of coolant in the transmission oil and transmission oil in the coolant before transmission failure? Not a nissan fan, just curious if it is something that could be caught during the service interval.

I never heard that about Nissan. I've got a gen1 Xterra with 205K miles on it and routine maintenance is all it's needed. Wonder if that issue is on the later models.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
We are in the same spot, i just bought a '15 tacoma offroad, awesome tuck. I get the boring part but theres so much aftermarket stuff to help out in the boring department. Anyways now we are in need of a new suv. From everything we looked at we keep coming back to a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Toyota 4runner v6 4x4. Both have good resale value and look awesome. Not sure what will get but it will be in the next month or 2 so im gonna keep an eye on this thread to see what other opinions people have. Not interested in the xterra. Just dont like the looks. They havent changed body style for 15yrs it seems like. Other suvs we considered is the buick enclave. Super nice but i have kids and trying to be realistic that they wont screw it up inside. I like the new chevy traverses also just havent looked into them enough to know about the power train. Heck even the new explorers look good, i just dont like the cop feel to them. lol anyways good luck. Hard to buy a crappy vehicle anymore with the internet and the voice it has. Car makers have had to step up there game.

Last edited:
Most all vehicles with automatic transmissions have a transmission cooler that is part of the radiator just like the nissans, it isnt a design flaw running it that way, just crappy parts. This can happen to anything with an auto, just seems to be a repeat failure with the nissans. Where your nissans regularly serviced by someone that would recognize signs of coolant in the transmission oil and transmission oil in the coolant before transmission failure? Not a nissan fan, just curious if it is something that could be caught during the service interval.

Yah it was very routinely kept up..they say it happens fast when it happen. Worst part is it floods the computer module housed inside the transmission that is where the real money starts adding up. We noticed a little skip in the transmission one day..the next morning it was toast. The transmission guys i know and trust basically say its not if but when on those models effected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say enough good things about a Chevy Colorado 4x4 3.5L, Have had mine since 07 with original motor still running strong at 290k

If your honestly in the market for a new car I wouldn't over look dave smith either since your profile says your in Bozeman. We just bought a brand new 2017 Dodge 2500 and they were easy to deal with plus gave us better trade than the local guys did. Might be worth a call to see if they can help you with a lease on a jeep or half ton

Brendan

WKR
Loved my Gen2 XTerra with a stick shift. That said - mileage wasn't great. If I remember, I topped out just under 20mpg?

I'll chime in with another Subaru Forester/Outback recommendation. We have a '14 Forester and love it. 30MPG average over 90k miles. Tried to get it stuck in my pasture after 10" of snow and it hardly slipped. The Outback can tow a bit more if you really need it, and is better set up for a hitch. People whine about the CVT. I get why, but I think it just takes getting used to. Plus, I love that I can take a 5000 mile road trip for less than $450 in gas, so I'll settle for not having a hot rod. Take one for a spin and see what you think.

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I'm somewhat in the market myself. Currently have an 08 Tacoma pre runner 2WD. I've always wanted an FJ cruiser and a dealership nearby has a 2010 I want to look at. Anyone know any bad things about them? I think the earlier models had some issues but I think the later ones were ok?

I also have seen a 5 cylinder Colorado that has peaked my interest. At another dealership

I like wranglers too but it's just so hard to buy a used jeep since most people around here buy them to run them through everything.

absolutely stay away from nissan. there is not a worse car to work on or have worked on. major transmission issues on anything before 2010,
it has been the subject of several lawsuits. long and short they decided to run a transmission fluid line through the radiator. that line cracks and floods the transmission with water and destroys everything including the computer that is housed inside the transmission. $4000 minimum to fix. I had two nissans before i learned my lesson. Ask anyone who works on cars what the worst company is to get parts for is and you will hear nissan. worst part is they will do nothing to own up to the terrible design mistakes. Nissan has the worst consumer affairs rating of all major brands. Kia is even better.

Weird you say that. I put 140k+ miles on my xterra and I've got 80k+ on my Titan, and I've put less then 2K into both besides tires.

I have herd they are terrible with submitting recalls though.

The nissans were my wifes cars. One was an xterra and the one with the shitty transmission was a pathfinder. Both 4wd off road packages and both worked well until they totally imploded.. i only drive ford f150s. I drive them hard and on a lot of dirt roads and i would never own anything else. If i was buying a small truck it would be a toyota. My kid has a tacoma that is an awesome hunting rig.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Rear disc brakes versus drums, fully boxed frame vs. spaghetti frame, 4.0 v6 with balls (actual low end torque ) vs gutless whatever toyota is putting in the tacoma now. Frontiers are usually less expensive in comparison to tacomas, oh and I hated the "drive by wire" brake pedal in my 2010 trd.
Funny, you couldn't give me a Frontier. I'll take my Tacoma any day of the week. Every Frontier I've ever driven or ridden in has felt cheap, and anemic. True, you can get them cheaper, for good reason. Ill give it to you on the rear brakes, but the rest is, meh. 207k on my Tacoma and it hasn't skipped a beat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would look hard at a GMC Canyon with the duramax, hey mpg around 30+. Don't get a CRV, my wife has one and while we have had zero issues build quality is low on the body and interior, it'll be our last Honda.
My cousin had a CRV. We called it the CeRVix

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
The Subaru Forester comes with a 6-speed manual. You could probably get a base model, brand new around 20k.

Used to have an Impreza with snow tires, and it was better in snow than any truck or SUV I've ever owned or driven.

OP

2ski

WKR
Test drove a couple Foresters yesterday. I liked it. Drove one base model and one that was the mid-level package. My back didn't like the seats on the one that was the base level. I would have to have one that had lumbar support. She told me the timing belt thing that Subarus were known for needing to have replaced is a thing of the past because its now a chain? Overall, I liked it. A new mid-level one is more than I'm wanting to pay right now. I may check into used though. The new one was the 6-speed manual. That would take some getting used to, and the clutch only moves a few inches so it wasn't like any manual I've driven. 6th gear seemed unneeded as I had it up to 75 in 5th and I didn't need to shift. Like wasn't even close to needing to shift. When I did, it seemed it didn't add anything.

Anyone have any opinion on the Mazda CX-5? A buddy of mine, who's wife drives a CRV which he likes but she doesn't, said he's heard good things about them.

elkduds

WKR
We have an '02 Forester, had it since 28K miles, now 100K after 6 years. Our 3rd Sub. Lots of room in back, I have slept there w seats down. Good MPG, a little anemic @ high altitude. Offroad, you can keep going as long as you have clearance. Very durable/reliable, not expensive to fix. Seats not that comfortable on long trips. Great snow car. Subies w manual trans feel stronger than ours which is auto/4 speed. Subarus are ahead of Mazdas in reliability, far ahead in low depreciation/retained value.

I'm somewhat in the market myself. Currently have an 08 Tacoma pre runner 2WD. I've always wanted an FJ cruiser and a dealership nearby has a 2010 I want to look at. Anyone know any bad things about them? I think the earlier models had some issues but I think the later ones were ok?

I looked hard at one for my wife's car... I liked their stance and ride height, and the obvious reputation toyota brings but she wasn't a fan of the ride itself. I could have lived with it but her tahoe is certainly "cushier". What I really didn't like about the FJ was the layout and blindspots that thing had. After the honeymoon stage would have worn off, I would have been cussing everytime I backed that thing up and ran over a kids bike or something. Suicide door look cool but it's much nicer having actual doors. Knowing how she drives and with all the blindspots, that thing would have been dinged and dented more than if a hailstorm had gone through. I think as far as reliability goes though they're solid.