New shotgun- experiences appreciated

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys!
I’m in the market for a new shotgun. Not looking for top of the line, mostly just reliability and bang for your buck. I would appreciate y’all’s opinions.
I bird hunt (mostly preserves) for quail and pheasants over my dog, dove hunt 10-12 times a year, and duck hunt a little - 5 times a year tops.
I shot a friends Browning silver this week while hunting and shot it well, but I am looking at other options as well.
Here’s what is on my radar:
(12ga-28” barrel, I seen to shoot the longer barrels better)
Browning Silver
Winchester SX4
Franchi Affinity
Anybody got experiences with these or anything else I should be looking at?
Thanks in advance
Eli

No experience with the guns you listed.
If you only hunt ducks a few times a year, but hunt uplands and dove often, I would go with a double myself. Over/under or side by side if you wish.

dtrkyman

WKR
sx4 and browning will have the same gas system, which is good, the Browning probably has a better fit and finish.

Franchi is inertia not gas, maybe more reliable but the gas system on the silver and sx is very reliable, more dependent on cleaning than the inertia.

All are fine guns so I would go somewhere you can handle all three and pick the one you like.

Also check the Affinity might be the only one with adjustable stock spacers?

Gas guns tend to be a little softer on the shoulder.

Taudisio

WKR
Browning and Winchester are the same thing (FN Herstal). The beretta a300 should be on your list. A tip I have gotten in the past, any shotgun from one of the 3 B’s is a good shotgun. (Browning, Beretta, Benelli) If I recall correctly, the franchi is a Benelli. So in a roundabout way, you have chosen 3 shotguns from 2 of the 3 B’s. I have owned browning, beretta, mossberg, Charles Daly, and Remington semi-auto shotguns. I grab my Remington V3 with a 26” barrel the most in recent years. I’ve had major issues (ruined hunting days) with the Charles Daly, a Remington 1100, and a browning gold. The browning gold was an abuse/neglect issue, the other two were their fault. I like the V3s gas system being contained in the action.

All that being said, I’d say the Beretta A300 is the best bang for your buck.

lmeyer

WKR
Agree with the a300. Or if you can find an old al390.
I just bought a retay and have been happy with it but prefer the al390 over both of the others