New XLR Chassis Came In

KHNC

WKR
My new Chassis arrived after the required 15 week wait. It is a work of art. However, I am willing to admit when i make a mistake. I ordered this for a SA Rem 700 ADL 7mm-08 , synthetic stock, and Vortex Viper HSLR scope. Total weight 8.25 lbs.

Now , the current setup is XLR Aluminum Chassis, XLR Grip, Folding Stock adaptor , RAPS buttstock, ZEISS V6 3-18x50. Total weight 10.45lbs!! Unloaded 10rd Mag. Not including the Omega 30 that will eventually ride on it as well. Currently , I am waiting for an opening at the gunsmith to cut the 20" barrel down to 18 and thread it to 5/8-24. I will be well over 11lbs when complete. Far from the lightweight hunting rig I had anticipated. Poor research on my part and not willing to spring for the magnesium version. Luckily, i already have a Christensen Carbon Classic that is a super light rig for mountain hunting. I just hate to haul it around with a suppressor attached. Barrel is way too long in that setup. I should have looked into it a bit deeper. Now this will be reserved for any future speed goat hunts I may do, and the local whitetail population will likely continue to take a beating from this rifle. It already has a dump truck load of kills in its past to this point.

I am still excited about having it , as I have wanted a chassis rifle for many years. I know it will perform well. Here are a couple of quick pics.

XLR1.jpgXLR2.jpg

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks awesome!!
I am not familiar with that Fab Defense RAPS stock but what is the weight on the stock? IF it is anything like the magpul PRS stocks that alone could be almost 2 pounds! Also could always save 5 ounces changing grips. Depending on what that buttstock weighs between just those two component changes your rifle would be back at that 9-pound mark yet gaining the modularity, rigidity, compactness with the folder etc.. which to us is well worth the 3/4 pound difference from the factory stock.

On another note, you might want to consider the LOP and eye relief with that buttstock. Looking at the specs it is similar to the PRS stock and the range is very long for most. Especially with a higher magnification variable scope. eye relief might be an issue, let alone shooter fitment.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out! Pumped you got it all put together and hopefully some deer and speed goats pictures are coming later this year!

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Look like the stock alone is 21 ounces which is not horrible. Buffer tube will add around 4-7 ounces. So probably around ~26ish ounces total. Which going to the carbon buttstock from us would save you almost an entire pound alone.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Looks awesome!!
I am not familiar with that Fab Defense RAPS stock but what is the weight on the stock? IF it is anything like the magpul PRS stocks that alone could be almost 2 pounds! Also could always save 5 ounces changing grips. Depending on what that buttstock weighs between just those two component changes your rifle would be back at that 9-pound mark yet gaining the modularity, rigidity, compactness with the folder etc.. which to us is well worth the 3/4 pound difference from the factory stock.

On another note, you might want to consider the LOP and eye relief with that buttstock. Looking at the specs it is similar to the PRS stock and the range is very long for most. Especially with a higher magnification variable scope. eye relief might be an issue, let alone shooter fitment.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out! Pumped you got it all put together and hopefully some deer and speed goats pictures are coming later this year!
Definitely could have used more research on my part for sure. ill have to check the weight. The buttstock is a bit heavy and LOP is fairly long. It does still fit me however. It is one of those just barely fits scenarios. The grip is nice, but i agree could be lighter. I wish I hadnt jumped into the grip and stock so quickly as I have a decent amount of money in both actually. I have no doubt the rifle will perform flawlessly with this setup. I do have some other lightweight butt stocks on some of my several AR's already. I could easily do a changeout in a pinch. This will give me some time to really do some research on what i want to do. The Fab Defense wasnt cheap but not nearly as pricey as the full carbons you offer. Didnt even occur to me to weigh the grip. lol.

Yall do some fine work for sure!

Edit: The RAPS buttstock weighs 21.87oz LOP 14.8-16.4" ( a bit longer than most)
That Carbon Grip from XLR is super badass.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Look like the stock alone is 21 ounces which is not horrible. Buffer tube will add around 4-7 ounces. So probably around ~26ish ounces total. Which going to the carbon buttstock from us would save you almost an entire pound alone.
Missed this before i posted. Yes, that carbon stock is perfect. I just didnt want to commit that deep at the time. Now ive got 215.00 in a full butt stock buffer tube configuration. Maybe at some point i will upgrade and try to sell the RAPS. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: XLR

Jbird1

FNG
Thanks for sharing, these chassis posts really have me leaning towards giving it a try! Look forward to hearing about the pros and cons after a season of using it in the back country!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey bro don’t feel too bad, my dad was hours away from buying a Toyota pre-runner that I convinced him was four-wheel-drive. Luckily someone stepped in and said “hey dummy, did you know pre-runner’s are two wheel drives that look like four-wheel-drive?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Hey bro don’t feel too bad, my dad was hours away from buying a Toyota pre-runner that I convinced him was four-wheel-drive. Luckily someone stepped in and said “hey dummy, did you know pre-runner’s are two wheel drives that look like four-wheel-drive?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well i gave in and ordered the smoke carbon butt stock yesterday anyway. Learned the hard way....again. :) Now i may be selling the RAPS stock and Precision XLR grip. If anyone is interested, ill sell both for 150 shipped. Brand new at the moment. lol

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well i gave in and ordered the smoke carbon butt stock yesterday anyway. Learned the hard way....again. :) Now i may be selling the RAPS stock and Precision XLR grip. If anyone is interested, ill sell both for 150 shipped. Brand new at the moment. lol
I know of a good classifieds forum :)

Not to hijack, but gear question. I love your products and currently run your TR-2 on my .300 Wby. Correct me if I’m wrong but, the TR-2 was made for the heavier recoil calibers correct? Or for some reason I came to that conclusion. My question is, does the carbon smoke handle magnums decent enough to make the switch? What would you recommend?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Not to hijack, but gear question. I love your products and currently run your TR-2 on my .300 Wby. Correct me if I’m wrong but, the TR-2 was made for the heavier recoil calibers correct? Or for some reason I came to that conclusion. My question is, does the carbon smoke handle magnums decent enough to make the switch? What would you recommend?

I have used the carbon smoke on a 300 WSM, 30 Nosler and a 300 Terminator without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Like Ryan mentioned the carbon stock will hold up to whatever you use it on. We have yet to have a single issue with them, and surprisingly they manage recoil rather well.
With that being said we commonly recommend the Tr-2 for rifles that might have a little more recoil like any of your larger 30 or 338s. This is for a few reasons but they all help come to the same conclusion and that is shootability, and consistency behind the rifle which then leads to accuracy.
Having a precision stock that you can adjust in every aspect to be comfortable and consistent behind the rifle can be huge for accuracy gains, especially on a canyon rifle.
Then that additional 12-13 ounces in the rear of the rifle that the TR-2 has over the carbon helps on balance and that weight will help more than most think in recoil mitigation. So we will bring it up as a recommendation because for us personally, we would rather carry that weight for the benefits. Compared to maybe a pound lighter 6.5 PRC or 7 SAUM.
But if the weight savings of the carbon stock is more important you will still love shooting it as again the carbon stock is still great. Maybe get a carbon stock, try it, and then get rid of the TR-2 if you feel there is not a big enough difference for your set up.

Looks great! I’m waiting on a magnesium xlr, and can’t wait.

I went with the tr2 butt stock, for one reason, and that’s the ease to fit it to many people who will end up shooting stuff with it.

My master plan is to make this the community rifle and figure something else out for me, and put carbon butt stock on the next chassis